SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Surprise! 10 eggs, 11 Purple Martins, 8 nests

caroline94535
14 years ago

Like so much of the country, we were hit with cold, wet, windy weather this spring. In just the past 10 days or so we've had morning temps in the 30s. It's been unseasonable cold and wet, even by North Dakota standards, ever since the Purple Martins' late return.

It was so dark and rainy this past week that I didn't attempt to check the gourds. I didn't see, or even hear, a Purple Martin for three days straight. I was worried they had left or starved.

Yesterday was sunny and nice. Today is lovely and looking out this morning I counted 11 Purple Martins in or on the gourds that I could see from the window! I saw my first SY male of the season too. He's a big, burly, darkly spotted dude. (Could it be Hercules from last seasons' hatch?)

I go out to check the gourds to see if anyone is thinking about building a nest. They're not only thinking; they're acting!

I find five eggs in Gourd 2, and five eggs in Gourd 5. I found nests, or at least evidence of birds sleeping in the gourd, inside eight of the nine gourds.

We're off to a Purple Martin season and I didn't even know it. 10 eggs; I've already increased production by 100% over last year!

Comments (17)