SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Purple Martins - I'm ready for them - 5 pics

caroline94535
14 years ago

I try to have the Purple Martin gourds prepped and hung by April 15. They arrived on May 10 last year; April 23 the year before.

Wes reworked the pole for me. He added a winch to replace the old pulley-and-rope system. We also got a two-tiered hub that can hold 8 or 16 gourds. He got everything installed, secured, and in working order Thursday (April 15). He did all this with a minimum of grumbling and very little blood-shed! LOL I'm so proud of him.

Meanwhile, I made pre-nests in the gourds and wired them to the arms. I sealed off five of the eight gourds to keep them starling and house-sparrow safe until I actually see Purple Martins. I'll seal off these three if I see any of the vermin checking them out.

Wes installing the new winch. Notice...he even used the instructions!

Hamming it up. The man absolutely hates heights/ladders. Small step-stools give him "problems" and it seems I'm always needing "get the tall ladder" help.

He's putting "self-tapping screws" into the winch straps so they won't turn slip around or slid up the pole.

I have the oriole/hummer feeder filled. It's still getting down to 30 at night, but I don't want to miss the hummers when they return.

Last year I didn't set out the sugar water until April 30 when I saw the orioles. Within an hour I had hummingbirds everywhere. That told me I needed to set it out earlier. After the first few hummers appear, I don't color any more of the sugar water.

The neighbor across the street runs a Day Care for pre-school kids. She seems to love the PMs as much as I do!

I let her grand daughter "help" me do nest checks.

I'm hope to "recruit" a dedicated, involved PM landlord even if I have to start with one still using a sippy cup! LOL

I have to finish adding tunnel entries to some natural gourds before I set out the lower level of eight gourds.

Since I don't really expect to go from four pairs last year to 16 pairs this year, I probably won't need the second level for a while.

The pole is about 15 feet high. The three "birds" are PM decoys to catch the attention of any early migrants passing through.

Comments (8)