SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluesman_gw

Its Purple Martin Time!!!!!

14 years ago

Soon they will be here! The glorious Purple Martin of spring! The true harbinger of spring that has the power to deliver a knockout blow to Old Man Winter like no other bird can. The Robin,the Bluebird may crack open the door of spring as they start moving north and singing their early spring songs but when the King of the Sky bursts out his Chur,Chur,Chur,Churwinnkk high overhead like a passing ghost he kicks that door off the hinges smile..! Oh how like a God he is as he soars wild and free and surveys the colony site he has flown thousands of miles from Brazil to be at.

His very presence commands the thaw and that the water be set free. He melts snow and ice as he passes over the land and he demands the season to come forth at full speed. He is the King of the Sky and no other songbird can match his flying skills as he dives,darts,and dashes. The open air is his home just as the thicket is the home of the Cardinal. Daffodils burts open under his wings! The flowering Quince turns brillinat red upon hearing the martin pass overhead. The Bullfrog finally knows it is time to come out of the mud. The Purple Martin is forever summertime and his spirit is free of charge for all who know him well. All he asks is that we provide him a rack of gourds or a properly built martin house.

I have been hanging gourds the last couple of weeks getting ready for their return and now that it is March I can almost feel it in my bones. Here is a picture I made of my new BO-11 plastic gourds with my clinger Starling Resistent entrance on them. I still have about 30 more natural gourds to hang and this weekend they will all be ready for the King of the Sky. The most glorious and majestic of all swallows owns the sky above America and when you know this bird well spring and summer would not be the same without them...Click the link to see a few of my new plastic gourds. They are so cool and completely starling proof...Mike

Image link:

Comments (5)