SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unlovedstepmom

Should I avoid going to my stepdaughters wedding?

unlovedstepmom
8 years ago

I'm new here and honestly quite relieved I found it.

My husband and I have been married 10 years. He has two daughters ages 22 and 17 and we have 8 year old twins together. My husband lost his first wife a few years before we met. This of course devastated him and his daughters, especially the oldest who was very, very close to her mom. Things were okay in the beginning, right up until we got married and the girls started getting older. They've always hated the fact their dad remarried. And they hated me for simply being around. My husband got them into grief counseling and we went for some family counseling, as was recommended by the grief counselor. I have always loved them and tried my very best for these girls, but they have never been anything other than cold with me. A few times my older stepdaughter would ask her dad to divorce me or send her and her sister to their maternal grandparents. It was a very rough time for everyone. At times I felt like I had made a mistake marrying my husband, but he was always doing his best and obviously loved us. So I stayed and fought hard to make things worked. But every time I would try to bond with either of them, they would shun me. If I asked about their mom, which a few friends recommended I do, they would tell me I had no right to talk about their mom. They would say their brother and sister (our kids) weren't really their family and that their dad was no longer their family because he'd married someone else. I can honestly say I never tried to replace their mom, but I wanted to be a positive female in their lives. Someone they could come to if they needed me, but they never have.

Now my 22 year old stepdaughter is getting married. She's invited us, but has implied to her sister she would prefer it if I didn't come, which doesn't really shock me. My husband said he wants me there and still holds out hope that one day things will be better. He said that by showing them that we're still here that it might help them see once their older, but I'm not so sure. I know people can mature and grow as they get older. But I honestly think the only reason my older stepdaughter hasn't completely cut us out is because part of her loves her dad, even if she holds a lot of anger toward him for remarrying. And to make matters worse, all my 17 year old stepdaughter talks about is when she can move out and live with her sister. For two years, she has been saying she will be gone on her 18th birthday.

Should I go? Should I avoid it and send my kids with my husband and younger stepdaughter? Has anyone ever dealt with this before?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH