SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aldra

I can't stand my step-daughter

aldra
17 years ago

I married my second husband five years ago. At fifty-five, he was fifteen years older than I. He had four children. I had none. His oldest three (from his first marriage) were all adults at the time, closer to my age than his and so it was easy to become friends. His youngest daughter was a different story. The product of a brief liason with a rather erractic woman who went on to become an even more erratic parent to the point where my husband was concerned enough that he went to caught and gained sole custody of said daughter. She had a wonderful life with her father and his then live-in lover who basically brought the girl up. At this point, I need to explain. My husband has never been a hands on dad. He is the master of the grand gesture but not to good on the smaller details of parenting. He can make the important occassions memorable but the smaller stuff.... well, that's kind of why he had the live-in lover. His older kids have all grown up rather well, however, this last effort is something else. When she was ten, my husband decided that she should go back and live with her mother because every girl needs her 'mom'. By this stage, the mother had settled down and sort of become normal. Soon after, he met me. The way I understood it, he was glad to be relieved of his parental responsibilites. At the time he was going through a business crisis and for a long time, I supported us. I did not meet his youngest daughter until well into the relationship (she lived in another state) and I remember being shocked more than anything because she was nothing like his other kids. Quite the opposite infact. At the age of eleven, she was everything I hoped any child of mine would never be. Over bearingly loud with loads of attitude. I got new job (I was still supporting her father) and all I can still remember her saying, "Now I you can buy me lots of presents and I can have lots of holidays. You know it isn't right that I don't have more holidays." This was the night before my wedding. Driving home she preceded to tell me that she didn't have to do what she was told because she was 'strong'. The wedding itself was a disaster. I got drunk on two glasses of champagne and couldn't repeat my vowes. I remember feeling like a bit player at my own wedding. From when SD suddenly decided she wanted to have streaks for the wedding and so I had to wait whilst she had them done which meant I didn't get my hair done and I thought I was meant to be the bride and this was my day, to SD changing the place cards on the bridal table so that I ended up sitting next to someone I didn't know. There is a whole list of stuff. Worst thing is, I can never say anything. Her father will always get angry at me. Somehow, however, the marriage has managed to remain intact. I decided to move countries. My husband followed and is earning his keep. I haven't seen my youngest SD in six years and am quite happy to keep it that way. I just can't make myself like her and my husband can't make himself understand why. I feel really mean.

Comments (30)