SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hillyhouse

Is it true that I should avoid cabinets made in California - paint?

hillyhouse C
7 years ago

I'm in a real hurry to get my kitchen remodel done by the end of the year. Unfortunately there's a lot of things going against me (need to remove a wall, and too many details to mention.)

So here's the conundrum: My contractor has a custom cabinet guy who can make cabinets in 3-4 weeks. I've seen his other work and it's decent - but I didn't see the paint because these were stained.

A local cabinet shop told me not to go down that road, and to buy cabinets made by a cabinet factory - like theirs :). But the biggest reason they cited was because cabinets made in California (where I live) will have terrible paint (water based?) that will need to be redone due to regulations - that cabinets elsewhere would have better, longer lasting paint. But, of course, their cabinet will take 5-7 weeks. (which probably means 6-8, right?)

The custom cabinet guy gave me some gobbley gook about paint conversion varnish or something.

Questions:

1. What is this paint conversion varnish stuff? Is this legit?

2. Is it true that any cabinet made in California will have to be repainted in a few years?

3. How would you go about making this decision?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES