SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyhouse1021

For this price, should I hire or DIY paint kitchen cabinets?

rubyhouse1021
14 years ago

I found a painter who I believe will do a nice, professional job painting my existing kitchen cabinets. My kitchen is not small, but not overly huge, so I'd say average size, with 42 inch cabs and about 7-8 inches of moulings (top and light rail). His estimate is $1675 which includes:

removing and reinstalling all doors and drawer fronts

sanding, priming (one coat), caulking cabs

2 coats of paint, lightly sanding between coats

painting inside of one large 2 door cabinet white (the only one with glass doors, so needs to be white inside)

painting underside of cabinets (where undercabinet lighting will go)

installing knobs/drawer pulls on all doors and drawers

I think the price is quite good, but I just keep wondering if this is something I can do myself to save money. In addition to the $1675, which includes BM Satin Impervo paint, I think I may end up going with Fine Paints of Europe paint, which will cost an extra $375. Is is worth it to just have a professional do this and be done much quicker, or DIY and save $1675 to put towards the hardwood floors I want in my living/dining room? I do have the money saved, but just enough to do one or the other (paint cabs or install hardwood). I realize that painting the cabs myself would be a looong process, so is it worth it to just have a professional do it? WWYD??? Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994