SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mchac

Trying to compare Carrier vs. Am Standard AC

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I recently bought a single family home in MD, 1999 construction, that has a 1st floor, 3 ton for roughly 2400 sqft and a 2nd floor, 2 ton for roughly 1850 sqft (ignoring double height ceiling areas) HVAC system. The 2nd floor condenser, air handler and furnace is in the attic. The 2nd floor AC is underspec'd for the job (summer daytime temps on 2nd floor are in the low 80s with the AC running continuously). Depending on the person doing the calc and how they account for the double height ceiling areas, the manual j indicates a 2.5 - 3.5 ton unit is needed. I'm looking to replace the 2nd floor system, have 2 competing quotes and I would appreciate any insight anyone can provide to help me avoid throwing a dart.

Quote 1: Carrier 3 ton infinity model 24ANB736A003 with 3 ton coil model CNPVP3617ALA and gas furnace model 58CVA070-12. Quote includes digital prog thermostat, line flush, condenser mounting pad, condenser risers, labor, tax. $10.5k

Quote 2: Am Std 3 ton Gold 17 Air Conditioner (Platinum XM Air Conditioner) model 4A7A7036 with 3.5 ton coil model 4TXCB042BC3 and gas furnace model AUD2B080A9362A. Quote includes digital prog thermostat, line flush, mounting pad, risers, labor, tax. $9.9k.

The price difference is relatively small and the units seem to have similar specs but I don't know what I'm missing. Any thoughts or guidance are greatly appreciated.

Comments (19)