SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grdnchik

I am AC illeterate, but I am trying to be an informed consumer.

grdnchik
15 years ago

Good Morning,

We moved into our Southern California home appx. five years ago, and the ac has never worked properly. So know after five years we are able to afford to purchase one. We have a family friend that is a reliable individual, and he is giving us a quote of $5,000 for a 5 ton 13 seer combo rooftop packet. He is going to include the ac unit, removing and hauling away the old one, replacing all of the duct work and changing out my new registers, since I purchased the wrong ones. Also, rewiring the electrical wires, since they need upgraded wires because we are going with a higher tonnage and the existing wires wonÂt do the trick. Last but not least a thermostat box or control box. He is willing to either put in a Carrier or York. I haven't read too many good things about York, but he stilled a York unit at my motherÂs home appx. three years ago and it does the job well.

Oh, I can upgrade the seers on the unit but it would be an addition $500 to $600 dollars depending on the seer upgrade I want. My home is 2120 square feet. I do have shutters on most of the windows, and it is a two story house. Consequently the top floor is like an oven. I want to make a wise choice in choosing either Carrier or York and also should I increase the seers? I live in the Inland Empire which at times gets up to 110 in the summer months. Thanks for helping me.

Elsa

Comments (8)