SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_saylor88

Help with my first plant: Umbrella tree, Schefflera arboricola

Andrew Saylor
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Pretty sure that I have a braided schefflera. Found it by the dumpster in my condo building last summer (pot and all) and took it home. Bought new soil and re-planted it. It lived on my balcony for the summer/fall in filtered/partly direct sun, and I took it inside for the winter. I bought a blue/red plant light because here in Wisconsin, we don't see the sun much in the winter and it was looking really sad. That has helped it prosper, and I got tons of new growth.

However, I recently noticed that some of the leaves are dying again (like they were pre-light and when I had millipedes) and getting droopy, and there's a weird shiny, slightly sticky substance on all the leaves. I did have little millipede looking things in the soil, but thought I drowned them when I soaked the plant a few weeks ago. I've read some stuff that says they can be good for the plant, some not so much. But since it was sad, I took the chance and drowned them.

So post-millipede drowning and post-light, it was doing great. Until the past week or so. I pruned it today, thinking maybe the lower-hanging leaves weren't getting enough light and the pruning would be good for it. Discovered 2 of the 4 trunks were dead and cut those off. I also found a few millipede things in the soil again today. I'm thinking about using a systemic insect control on it, and then a fertilizer the following watering. I should be able to move it on the balcony again in the next month or so, dependent on this crazy weather.

Any tips? Am I taking the best course of action? This is my first plant, and seeing as I found him by the dumpster one day, I'd like him to survive ME, and I'm quite attached. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

Comments (14)