SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiekinmecrzy

Schefflera (arboricola?) problems

jamiekinmecrzy
9 years ago

Hi all, first timer here! Have used this forum a lot as a guest but have a unique issue I can't seem to find any exact information on. My friend's umbrella tree has been slowly failing since its recent move from Colorado to Indiana (about 3-4 months ago). When it first arrived, I helped transplant it and it had new growth that was curling under then, but no sign of discoloration or spotting. We transplanted it and it was having issues with drainage, so about a month later I repotted it again with chunks of styrofoam to help with drainage and aeration as well as some powdered mycorrhizae to ease the transplant shock. It's been probably two months since the last transplant, and throughout this time it's been receiving indirect sunlight. It's now in full sun and beginning new growth again which is still curling, and many of the older leaves have fallen off. The picture I posted was sent to me today, as you can see the petioles seem to be rotting down to the stem.

Can't seem to put my finger on it, at first I thought it was just environmental shock then I thought we'd give it time to recover from the drainage issue, but it's still struggling. I've been reading about broad mites that cause new growth to curl like that, but it still doesn't explain the brown petioles. I haven't had a chance to look closely at it to see if there are actually mites on the plant. I think there's a variety of things going on here and would just like to see if anyone has had a similar experience or might have any advice based on what I've been able to recall about the plant.

I appreciate any advice anyone might have!!
Cheers,
JL

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County