SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heavens123

Canning pineapple jam using honey and low sugar pecting - recipe check

heavens123
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Clarification: I do not care about the set of the jam. If it's runny it will be used as syrup. I only care about food safety.

Using Ball Lo/No-Sugar Pectin, there is a recipe for making jam on the pectin label with either no or low sugar (which can be sugar, certain substitutes or honey). I will be using honey. There is a chart, telling which fruits it is necessary to add bottled lemon juice to and which it is not, but it's limited to only a few fruits. I've used this recipe before and it's great, but they do not specifically list pineapple. I called Jarden and the rep was very helpful, and her final verdict was that I should add the lemon, just to be safe. That being said, she didn't sound 100% sure, so I thought I'd just run this by you all. There's also a Pomona's recipe below and I note a big disparity in how much honey/fruit ratio. Thank you for any thoughts.

1 1/3 cup fruit (frozen pineapple, thawed, mashed or pureed in food processor)
1/3 cup water
3 tsp of lemon (or not?)
1 1/2 tbs Ball low/no sugar pectin
up to 1/2 cup honey

Combine everything but honey, bring to boil that can't be stirred down, add honey, return to boil and boil hard for 1 minute. Fill 1/4", BWB 10 minutes, rest 5, remove.

Ball does have a recipe in the blue book that uses 1/2 chopped fresh lemon, but I'm thinking that is present for reasons besides acidity since they are not asking for bottled lemon juice. There's no honey option with that recipe though, and no pectin used, and their instruction for processing is 15 minutes instead of 10.

---------

Please note that Pomona's pectin has the following recipe on their website. I am out of Pomona's though, so am asking because I do not like to take chances. They are saying to boil fresh pineapple. Does that mean I should boil the frozen pineapple after I crush it? And how do you boil if there's no added liquid?

Pomona says to boil crushed pineapple in saucepan for several minutes to deactivate enzymes, add honey and pectin, bring to full boil for 1-2 minutes. Rest of processing same as Ball.

Note: Fresh, crushed pineapple must be boiled for several minutes before you start the jam-making process. This extra cooking is necessary to de-activate the many enzymes in pineapple that can negatively affect the jell.

Fresh Pineapple Jam Ingredients

4 cups peeled, chopped, and crushed fresh pineapple
2 teaspoons calcium water
½ cup up to 1 cup honey or ¾ cup up to 2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons Pomona’s pectin powder

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!