SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charcuterie_gw

How can I adjust this freezer jam recipe to water bath canning?

Charcuterie
12 years ago

I would like to make some of this but don't have room in my freezer. How could I adjust this for WBC? Also, should I use bottled lemon juice instead of fresh?

WHITE CHERRY & PEACH JAM

Blue Chair Jam Book3

Makes 6, 8-ounce Jars

INGREDIENTS:

* 2-1/2 pounds peeled yellow peaches

* 2-1/2 pounds pitted Rainier or other white cherries

* 2 pounds 2 ounces white cane sugar

* 5 ounces strained freshly squeezed lemon juice

* Several drops of pure almond extract

* Several drops of maraschino liqueur*

* 1 (1-inch) piece vanilla bean, split

METHOD:

1. Place a saucer with five metal teaspoons in a flat place in your freezer for testing the jam later; this is one of the best methods for determining the perfect jam consistency so don�t skip this step!
  2. Place a cutting board on a rimmed baking sheet or sheet pan. Put the peaches on the board and using a paring knife, cut enough flesh off the pits to make 2 pounds of prepared fruit. You should end up with pieces of all different shapes and sizes. When you are finished, discard the peach pits.
  3. Place the peach pieces and their collected juices from the baking sheet with the cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a large mixing bowl, stirring well to combine. Add a few drops each of almond extract and maraschino. Taste, add a drop or two more of the flavorings if necessary and add the vanilla bean. Transfer the mixture to an 11- or 12-quart copper preserving pan or a wide nonreactive kettle.
  4. Place the jam mixture over high heat and bring it to a boil, stirring every couple of minutes or so. Continue to cook, monitoring the heat closely, until the jam thickens, 25 to 30 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the pan often with your spatula and decrease the heat gradually as more and more moisture cooks out of the jam. For the last 10 to 15 minutes of cooking, stir the jam slowly and steadily to keep it from scorching. Skim any still foam from the surface of the jam as it cooks and discard.
  5. When the jam has thickened and appears glossy, test it for doneness. To test, carefully transfer a small representative half-spoonful of jam to one of your frozen spoons. Replace the spoon in the freezer for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove and carefully feel the underside of the spoon. It should be neither warm nor cold; if still warm, return it to the freezer for a moment. Tilt the spoon vertically to see how quickly the jam runs; if it is reluctant to run and if it has thickened to a gloppy consistency, it is done. If it runs very quickly or appears watery, cook it for another few minutes, stirring and test again as needed. While you are waiting for the jam in the freezer to cool, skim off any white foam that appears on the surface of the jam in the pan.
  6. When the jam is ready, pour it into sterilized jars and process according to the manufacturer�s instructions.

*NOTE: This is NOT the liquid from a jar of maraschino cherries, it is a liqueur; a little spendy and since I had not made this recipe before, I omitted it and added a few extra drops of pure vanilla extract � the jam is still fantastic!!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Cherry and Peach Jam

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH