SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

left-over holiday ham...

I think its been a couple years since i made one. So much left-over. I will freeze a dozen packages...just a few slices in each and use in soups, breakfast, use like bacon.

I have missed having a bit of frozen ham for egg tarts and bean soups so it is welcome for a change.

I soaked it for 24hrs and change the water a few times like a de-brining to pull out the salt. It worked. In the past i have simmered in water, drained and simmered again for the same effect.

Made a dry rub and heated for the usual hour and a half. Delish and a hit but i had so much other food. DH made biscuits and red-eye gravy, burp.

Making stock with some duck necks and veggies. A bean and greens soup will be first. Kale collards and escarole ...freeze a few pints.

Ham tends to be comfort food so everything seems so heavy. Casseroles, meat pies. I made another celeriac slaw with golden beets and wilted greens that was fab for dinner.

Looked at past recipes and some google Cooks, Sauveur, Food52....lots of gravy and biscuits.

ipink posted a nice Indian style stew i might try, using split peas. Maybe i could sprout some lentils and mixed grains.

I will make a pie but later. Like a leek potato pea pie with a crust. Just want something light. Don't really think of matchstick ham in a fresh salad but i should try it. Avocado, lime, salsa, cilantro. (weird).

Ham wants bread and toasted cheese and a fried egg on top. : )

Comments (3)