SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
bryan_rabon

Teen room help! Paint color...

Bryan Rabon
7 years ago

Please, please give me some advice before we make a disaster outta my teens room. We have been trying to decorate her room for years (seriously) and she likes nothing! She finally found this

http://jeanneoliverdesigns.com/blog/2015/08/06/teen-girl-bedroom-makeover/

room and loves it , but I think it's too dark. With all respect to the family that designed this room, I think they did a great job! Her room is around 10 x 10. I told her we could use a lot of the ideas in the room but maybe use a different color paint? Please give me some ideas and input, I am not sure what to do. We were wanting to paint over Christmas break. Thanks for your help!

Comments (26)

• Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

Here're pictures of a bedroom with white bedding and a paler wall color and one with just one wall painted dark.

• anitamo
    7 years ago

It's a beautiful room. I like the dark color on an accent wall...over the bed maybe. I've used BM Iron Mountain as an accent in two rooms and have not tired of it. It looks especially great with white.

• ImWithJoe
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Go for it. It is only paint -- a bit like hair, clothes, make-up for a teen - easy to have fun with and easily changed as they grow into another phase. I think the key will be the paint, it looks like it has steel tones, which look great in the photo. The use of the rack is great too for a 10x10 room. The source lists the paint is Wall Color: Inkwell by Sherwin Williams and says it is a deep navy. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6992-inkwell/#/6992/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

Have fun!

• javiwa
    7 years ago

We painted DD's room (10x10) years ago a very deep navy/midnight blue, at her request. We were also originally concerned it would be too dark, but, heck, it was her room. And we knew we could always just repaint. It turned out beautiful -- dark walls were offset by white door/window/baseboard trim and light-wood furniture. Go with what your daughter loves -- you might just surprise yourself! Have fun with it. :)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    7 years ago

Thinking you could go somewhat lighter - & matte - & make it look nice. The original looks like a gloss or semi- plus a textured surface, which can to get old fast - plus looking kind of cheap & attracting dust.

Just checked & Sherwin Williams has a color called -- believe it or not-- 'Attitude Gray'. (perfect name for teen girls, I'm thinking). Darker version is 1 called 'Night Owl'...

http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7060-attitude-gray/#/7060/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0

• lukkiirish
    7 years ago

I can understand your trepidation about the dark walls and would undoubtedly feel the same way but she's at an age where she's starting to develop her own tastes and style and she is probably asserting herself more in negotiating as well. Remembering the challenges of the teen years with my own daughter, I'd probably try to work out a compromise you're both comfortable with. The main elements in the room are basically just monochromatic, is that her draw to the room? Have you asked her specifically what it is she likes about it? Would you consider a charcoal room instead? It can be a little softer than black and actually very pretty. Accent walls or even maybe striping on one or two of the walls in the darker charcoal could be eye catching as well as seen below.

As far as eventually needing to paint over it, if you add 1 oz. of black to white primer, it's gray and will cover everything perfectly in one coat, no bleeding through and the gray will work as a good neutral to paint over.

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

Do it. It's her room, and this is what she wants. As others have said, it's only paint.

One thing I noticed about her inspiration photo, though, is that those walls are very heavily textured (even the wainscoting, oddly enough). That texture is giving the dark paint a shimmery look, that you might not get on her walls.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

I can see your reservations. I'm not sure I'd want my teen to have black walls. Teens are a mass of hormones and emotions as it is.

What if you did the ceiling in black instead of the walls, an interesting color trim (gold?), and maybe a light blue for the walls?

• cacocobird
    7 years ago

I think it's important for teens to have input on their rooms -- let her pick what she wants. Give her a room that she will love.

• lucy132
    7 years ago

I really like the dark walls with all the white - I say go for it. I would just get a sample and paint a poster board first to make sure she likes it with the light in the room. Colors can look so different on the walls than they do online or on the strip.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

For a 10x10 room, those walls would be very dark. One thing that helps is that they used paint with a sheen, but a sheen is hard to paint evenly...going over any spots intensifies the sheen so they will always show as shiny spots.

You'd really need to have white woodwork. If the woodwork in her room is stained, you are not going to get the same effect.

I'd consider kicking the color up a few notches. Like SW Cyberspace so it will give the room a little more life, but largely the same effect.

A compromise would be to have one accent wall in white to ease the look....or, as this room does, have a chair rail. Unlike this room, paint it white below the rail and keep the SW inkwell above.

The room will also need to have white furniture to make the look successful.

But I remember having all kinds of fun in my bedroom when I was growing up and Mom was extremely tolerant of it all, which I always appreciated. So while it may not be your thing, go with it...you may be surprised at how good it comes out.

• Bryan Rabon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Her furniture is all white, trim and ceiling are white. Walls are textured. Reading everyones input...thanks for your help! Oh, and btw...the paint color is dark blue, not black. ;)

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Teens like dark spaces. Both my DD's growing up loved to sleep in our finished basement. No windows, so very dark when the lights are off.

• flowerpwr45
    7 years ago

I think that shimmery effect over the textured walls is kind of lovely! I think her choice will look smashing.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

Sounds like you have a good start -- if the floor light colored?

I thought inkwell was a midnight blue, but it is showing up as a charcoal on my screen. Either way, I think it is a sophisticated but youthful and feminine look. It's something diffferent -- which makes it satisfying for a teen, especially since you have doubts. A certain degree of rebellion and puzzlement helps them develop their sense of self and separate from their parents. Its a good thing -- especially if you can accomplish that with nothing worse than a can of paint. And it isn't dark and moody -- if it was a brooding look, I would hesitate too.

Just keep the white and light feel in all the accessories -- look for textures (like that light fixture, the fur (vest?) hanging on the rack, layers of white bedding, and add some fun touches of color and/or bling. The inspiration room has a turquoise furniture piece -- have her pick a favorite color --aqua, pink, yellow, orange, lime green -- have a touch (or two or three -- but no too much) of that color. The sparkling pillow adds some texture, glam and bling. Those are popular now -- Target and Pier One have moderately priced ones. You could also do a fur throw or pillow. If she likes them, a light up wall art piece or string of small white lights would be fun. Let her explore the possibilities and take something she likes and put her own touches on it.

Oh -- and in case you didn't know, Sherwin Williams has paint 30% off through the 31st. Start with a sample and for about $5 you can test the color and how you like the satin (low sheen) on the wall. The samples only come in satin and the coverage isn't the same as the wall paint -- the wall paint will cover better and you will have a choice of finishes (matte, eggshell or satin for walls). But they get you close enough to test the color.

Have fun!

• lukkiirish
    7 years ago

Wow, it's looks completely black on my monitor! I think a dark blue is a good option!

• neverbedone
    7 years ago

I would go for it. It looks lovely. In a small room, between the windows, furniture, pictures and posters, a lot of the walls will be covered so it won't look so dark.

Looks like they painted over textured wallpaper. You could get a shimmery effect by painting in a matt and doing some stencilling in eggshell or semi-gloss.

• Cynthia L
    7 years ago

I agree with some of the great comments - it's just paint and she's a teen, lol. Yes, it would be no fun to paint over later but, hey. Primer. My daughter's room is splatter painted. Sounds awful but it really turned out cute a couple of years ago - and she wants to repaint it now, ugh!

How much wall space does your daughter's room have? If she has a lot of trim and/or windows, I don't think the black is too much, even in a dark room. But some of the grey suggestions here are beautiful too if she'd go for that as a compromise.

• funkycamper
    7 years ago

My son painted his room black. Then he had friends who had some artistic talent paint murals. It was really pretty cool. Not what I would want but it worked for him. And it's just paint.

• wildhaven
    7 years ago

Unless it's really horrifying or offensive in some way, I'm all for letting kids and teens have full choice in what they want for their rooms. I don't have to like it, but it's important for them as developing individuals. If the worry is that the room will be too dark, see if there is a compromise to be had with an accent wall and painting the other walls several shades lighter. As others have said, light furniture and color accents will help it from seeming too dreary. I'm sure it will look wonderful!

• Bryan Rabon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks again for the input! She has a light tan carpet. I think we are going to go for it! She is a sweetheart of a teenager and I want her to be happy in her room. Hubby is off this week. Her room is turquoise now, but she and her big sis switched rooms so that is not a color she picked out. I will try to post pics!

• aprilneverends
    7 years ago

Everybody gave such good advice..I can only add that my teen became much happier in her room when we painted it dark(different color though..purplish brown..or brownish purple?))..she did have white furnishings, and it looked pretty bland before I must say, but the moment we painted it, everything popped up so nicely against dark background, everything suddenly made more sense and had more character. Of course as other posters have said already, light/white furnishings and glittery elements will help to pull off that look. Do tone your ceiling with a bit of a wall color, or else it would look strange. Good luck, and looking forward to these pictures!

• Debbie Downer
    7 years ago

wont repeat whats already said - just want to point out a) its not like its a black or anything really heavy and oppressive - its really a dark charcoal or steel gray and b) there is at least as much white in the overall design as dark gray - if not more so (furnishings, ceiling, carpet etc,). Keeps it from being not the least bit cave-like.

I think the worry with a teen is if they're acting out some sort of depression or angst with their color choices - but I don't think you have anything to worry about in this case!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

On my screen inkwell looks like a very dark charcoal. Looking at the details, its rgb values say only slightly more blue than green or red, so I think it will read very dark gray, as opposed to a color like Naval that will read more blue. If it were my room, I'd lean more blue.

Inkwell: RGB: R: 49 G: 54 B: 58

Naval: RGB: R: 47 G: 61 B: 76

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

Dark is calming to teens ...

Let her pick the colors and the decor and learn from it.