SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
5vanval5

Hi EVERYBODY – newbies need help with kitchen layout please

5vanval5
8 years ago

My spouse and I (and if we are lucky, eventually some little ones too) are building a house for the first time. We also have retirement age parents that spend a lot of time with us (hence the first floor guest room). We like symmetry and simplicity.

Kindly provide us with feedback on our kitchen. We have attached two plans, one with the half bath toward the front of the house and one with it closer to the garage. The rest of the house is identical.

Here is the general kitchen layout - The main wall with windows has a centered cooktop and a microwave/oven combination on the far right. The space in between would be a nice expanse for baking activities. We will likely have open shelving on either side of the cooktop. Perpendicular to the cooktop wall, close to the microwave/oven combo, is a shorter wall with the refrigerator and “beverage area.” The sink is in the island where we would like seating for four chairs opposite the sink and cook top and one or two chairs on the short side of the island furthest from the refrigerator. All lowers will be drawers unless we find this to be cost prohibitive. Likely the cabinets will be simple and white with black stone or gray stone counter tops, subway tile with dark grout.

And here are my specific questions:

1. Prep sink?

As of now, there is one sink in the kitchen and it is centered on the island which will also house the dishwasher, trash, and recycle. The island is a single height. My burning question is whether or not this should instead be a prep sink, slightly offset from center more toward the refrigerator, with a work sink on the same wall as the cooktop, furthest from the pass through to the flex room. This would require some rejiggering of the window placement since I think one would need to center the sink under a window and still leave enough room for the dishwasher and a landing area beside the cooktop. I'm concerned that this will mess up the symmetry. The main motivation here is that the island is likely where we will eat so it would be nice to have dirty dishes tucked away in a sink that is not in the island. If you added a prep sink to the kitchen, would you then remove it from the butler pantry pass through to the flex room? Four sinks (including the one in the laundry) seems like a lot of sinks!

2. Butler pantry or tech space or something else?

I see the wall with the window in the pass-through from the kitchen to the flex room (which will be used as an office since I am a telecommuter) as a place to put appliances like a toaster, rice cooker, blender on the counter top. This area is also for storage of lesser used plate ware, so I think we will have cabinets rather than open shelves. On the other side, there is space for a pantry. I wonder if the appliance area should be a desk area instead. This would be a duplication for our needs since I will use the flex room as an office, but we have tried to design a home that has some flexibility for future owners. I imagine others might use the flex room as a dining room with a more formal butler’s pantry, a bar, or tech space in the pass through. The guest area could be used as an office/den as well.

3. Half bath – front or back of house? (I put this question here because it impacts the pantry, but just let me know if I should ask elsewhere.)

There are two options for the half bath. A square room just beyond the kitchen toward the garage or a narrow rectangle room across from the stairwell. Which do you think is more sensible? The rectangle half bath closer to the front of the home would make the pantry smaller and would take up the space for the HVAC chase return. This would then require a second unit on the second floor, which I am not thrilled about the added cost, but the current chase return is in an awkward location impacting one of the second bedrooms so it might be worth it. With this configuration, the square half bath in the back is now a “pocket office” but I think this is way too small for this purpose. Does it make more sense to just combine the pocket office with the laundry?

Happy also to hear comments about the floor plan in general.

I so very much look forward to your feedback.

Comments (34)