SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy

When the comps don't tell the whole story . . . or do they?

jakabedy
8 years ago

My mom has been renting a condo in a secure building for six months. She's decided she's ready to purchase a unit in the building, and we've looked at one that she thinks will work for her. We've only looked at open houses, and she doesn't have her own buyers' agent at this point. I think it's overpriced, and ask the listing agent to provide some comps.

The PPSF for currently listed properties is at an average $160-165 per square foot, with the unit she likes priced at $178 PSF. However, the PPSF for sold properties is at $130-135. Most of those comps are a year old. The listing agent offers the following as reasons for the difference in the averages:

1) The association was in litigation over some structural work that needed to be done in one of the buildings. That matter has now settled and remediation is underway. Prior to the litigation settling, the whole compound was ineligible for conventional financing, but now the eligibility has returned.

2) Investors dumped several units at fire sale prices during the pendency of this litigation, bringing the PPSF down.

3) wood floors installed in this unit (standard is carpet). I figure this was at a cost of $10-15K, but I don't know that a seller is entitled to recover all of that dollar-for-dollar.

4) first-floor location in building and largest covered patio have some value against comps.

I'm thinking that while there is some validity to what he's saying, the comps are still the comps. The unit mom likes also has a garage, which is a $8-10K value within the total asking price of $209K. But a sale of a similar unit, with garage, in Feb. 2015, was at $156 PSF.

My thought is he's hoping to establish a new base comp through a cash sale of one of the three units he has listed currently. I'm not averse to negotiating this myself, but I'm wondering if I should bring in a buyer's agent to do the heavy lifting -- or to at least tell me if I'm way off in thinking that the increase in value can't be as large as the listing agent is telling us -- 20-25%. Because my thought would be to go in at the $156 PSF figure, which would be an offer of $182K against the $209K asking. I know it will be perceived as lowball. I'm also working against the likelihood that if my mom doesn't get this place, there will be an emotional price to pay. She's got her heart set on it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (16)