SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Bizarre Funny Story: House Cleaners & I Just Don't Mix!!

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

I don't know what it is but every time I hire people to clean my home, disaster strikes . . . and it happened again!

I used to have a housekeeper who came every other week. One day she sat down in our good rocking chair, the thing broke into 3 pieces and she crashed to the floor. She was thankfully ok. That was my main concern and I wasn't angry with her at all! The chair was a total loss, though. Soon after that she decided that house cleaning was not for her. I was sad, because I really liked her.

Her replacement was a gal who repeatedly tried to talk me into paying her 80 y/o mother, whom she brought along with her. She told me that she helped keep her company while she cleaned . . . I'm serious! That one didn't last long (LOL!).

Our first Christmas in this place, I was 4 month pregnant and already having some complications (I went eclampic at 7 months and had DD via emergency C-section). Anyhoo, we hired our neigbor's housekeeper and her adult daughter to clean the morning of a big catered dinner party we were throwing for all of DH's staff and their SOs. The daughter tripped over our new vacuum, broke the vacuum, slamming it into the adobe wall of our foyer, knocking a 12" hole in the wall and breaking an expensive 3' vase in the corner there. Again, I didn't get angry or yell or berate her. Just made sure she was ok and helped her clean it up.

Thankfully DH was able to get the hole semi-patched (just)before the guests arrived, but I swore off cleaning people after that. . . until last Thursday (sigh).

I tend to get very stressed out getting this place cleaned for the holidays, as we host Christmas Day here. DH talked me into getting a little help this year in hopes that it would help. Four housekeepersand the company owner arrived. He was training 2 new gals, so he came along to work with them. They were very nice and did a pretty good job cleaning, but the one wiping down my beautiful Hudson Valley pendant light in the kitchen, accidentally unscrewed part of it and the glass shade and diffuser dropped onto the counter, shattering. The owner had me call HVL while he was there, promising to pay for replacements. HVL gave me a local place to call. Their cost for the replacement glass shade and diffuser is place HVL suggested we call, told me it will cost $159.99! Now the cleaning company owner is not returning my phone calls.

Soooo, now I have a dangling bulb lighting my kitchen while I try and figure out what to do next! Honestly, although I know all of the above were just innocent accidents and I didn't get angry about any of them, I'm now thoroughly convinced that house cleaners and I just don't work! I must be jinxed and am doomed to forever clean this place on my own from now on ;^D

Please tell that there ARE housekepers out there that really do manage to clean homes without causing mini disasters (LOL!).

Lynn

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations