SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc712

Repainting instead of redecorating- advice please

jlc712
8 years ago

Apologies in advance for a long post--

This was supposed to be the year to redo our family room. I planned to buy a new sofa, and have my two antique club chairs reupholstered. I was going to start from scratch with a new furniture arrangement, color scheme, etc.

Well... instead, this has been the year of replacing major appliances, putting more money in retirement, etc etc, and all that is going to happen in this room is a new paint color. I am so disappointed, but would like to get the painting done before the holidays.

I have gone full circle from wanting a neutral tan with a pale blue ceiling, to a dark bronze (Brainstorm Bronze!!), to a navy blue, to a mid-tone green or brown, and now I'm back to thinking a camel color would be best. DH strongly dislikes the idea of a dark color. I'm looking at BM Waterbury Cream.

This room faces south and west and gets very strong sun. I had to close the blinds to get halfway decent photos. I'm afraid the Waterbury Cream is going to be too warm and yellowy. However, I think the current tan, and most neutrals look way too blah with my sad old couches.

I dusted & vacuumed this morning, so I took a few pics while it was straightened up. We spend a lot of time in this room, so it's always a wreck. I am planning to move around the artwork after painting, so there are a few pieces sitting around unhung.

Here are a couple pics with my sample paint board moved around the room--

And a few more photos of the room:

So, Waterbury Cream? Other paint color ideas?

I'm really tired of thinking about this room! It's not symmetrical, it's long and narrow, it's overcrowded, and I'm never happy with it. Suggestions welcome.

Comments (54)