SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iamskc

SEE PICS! Shall I repaint Kit' Island Lt Blue? Mistake? or FANTASTIC!

iamskc
8 years ago

Will attach pics in thread below. Moving into this house in 3 weeks. Wanted to redo the whole thing as the neutral beige/sand/brown isn't really my style. BUT it occurs to me maybe a few small changes that say... something might be a better way. What do you think about painting this Island (which is currently SW Kilim Beige and matches the hood) to some kind of Light Blue or Robin's Egg Blue... Or maybe TURQUOISE? I want this room to have a bit more... personality. To make it POP. Any paint color or technique suggestions? I see so many "blue/green" choices on Houzz. Even read one where you paint it black and then do a white wash and it somehow becomes turquoise? What the what? Would love your thoughts and suggestions. Pics below Just considering painting the island at this point. Open to all ideas. THANKS!

Comments (120)

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

I think Raven has given the best advice here, to sit on it for at least six months, if not a year, and see where you are then.

I think the OP Is looking to bring some character into the kitchen. I'm on the side of painting the island. I think it brings some character to the kitchen, personality. However, It think Raven's advice is very wise.

Personally, I really like the farmhouse green and the Wythe Blue on the island. Below are before and afters, next to each other so the difference can be seen quickly.

But yes, sit on it for a while.

• perky_2
    8 years ago

I agree with "no" - That kitchen is fabulous as is.

• Related Discussions

See my indoor T8 fluorescent bank garden, with pics!!!

Q

Comments (17)
    The following was posted on thekrib.com/lights/reflectors: Victor wrote: This exact same topic was discussed on one of my reef aquarium list a couple months back. One person, Dana Riddle (www.aquaticwildlife.com), has done many lighting studies on many types of light (MH, VHO and PC). He found that a white surface did indeed reflect as well as the metal reflectors. The only problem was that after sometime, 'painted' white reflectors turned yellowish and were less affective. Someone on that list is starting to use white rain gutters as a reflector and he will report to the list if the white 'powder' coated metal 'yellows' over time. Being a grower of many different kinds of plants for most of my life, I have tried just about everything under lites at one time or another. I've probably read every publication on the subject, in English, on growing plants under lites. One common item,in these writings, has always been a list on reflectivity values. And flat white paint has always been near the top of the list. It's cheap, it's easy and when the paint 'yellows' get out the paint brush! It ain't rocket science and your plants will bearly know the difference. Your wallet will! Michael - -- Michael Serpa * Bay Island Orchids 2311 Pacific Avenue * Alameda, CA 94501 Tel: (510) 521-8245 * Fax: (510) 865-1787 http://www.bayislandorchids.com My own take on it is that my old garden was packed with T12's, and the LIGHT GOT TRAPPED BEHIND THE LAMPS, whereas my current setup is with nicely spaced T8's, 20 tubes over a width of 70", so there is over 50" of space for the reflected light to get out from behind the lamp. That's also a reason that I like Gavita's for HPS, because I can mount a MH between them, and a little higher, and the Gavita lamp is so small that it hardly blocks any of the light, so I get a nice coverage with the Halide for the blue/violet supplement that seems to be of benefit. Paul Mozarowski. Here is a link that might be useful: Exhaustive discussion of paint vs mylar vs foil etc
    ...See More

Kitchen Ideas: Wanna Help? (pics and rather long, sorry)

Q

Comments (42)
    1- don't get rid of those pretty cabinets on top. I was admiring them and I pictured them in white. I think black on the bottom would be too much with the black appliances. You can cut out the background in the doors with a rotozip and replace with glass doors. that might look pretty. if you don't like that idea or the painting idea them how about changing the doors instead of replacing the whole cabinet? I just ordered doors and drawer fronts for my kitchen and the total was only $279, much better than new cabinets. 2- Organic and I have the same floor. 3- Did I read you were considering blue corian countertops? That sounds good to me. I did my countertops in tile, which admitendly some people don't like and it cost me less than $50. I love your plate rails on the wall and that blue storage shelf. soooo cool!
    ...See More

I want to paint my new island, another color

Q

Comments (43)
    My first impression is that it's just that the island is a little too red with your floor. Staining it darker - espresso or walnut brown (or even black would work though it won't have the same type of warmth) might change how you feel. And adding grey in fabrics, stools etc. could satisfy your need for grey. The thing about staining it too is that if you really find that it doesn't help you love your kitchen and you're still stuck on grey, you can have it painted then and it's paint over stain as opposed to layers of paint. And you can't really go in the opposite direction - from paint to stain - without a lot of headaches. But the bottom line is that it's your kitchen and you get to pick what you like and if the answer is a grey island then go for it.
    ...See More

Mistake in countertop selection?

Q

Comments (71)
    Definitely much better! I applaud your ability to work with a choice that wasn't quite what you wanted - I agree it's not ideal on color for your kitchen, but blends so much better now. The SS fridge make a huge difference too - the greys and SS all pull it together.
    ...See More
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

Love this:

Put a Persian rug down behind the stools, under the dining table, and between the island and cooktop...gorgeous. So much warmer, personal, unique, and with character, than this, IMO:

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

One more thing: the others make a very good point about the factory finish of the island. If you do decide to paint it (btw, get the kitchen you want, not one that is expected!), I would hire a professional to prep the island for painting.

• Kanga
    8 years ago

You seem to have your heart set on a two tone kitchen (painted island) as I did, too. I came here for advise regarding my island and although many advised against painting my island, there were few who offered helpful tips and encouraging words to go for it. In the end, I followed my heart. I took my sweet time prepping, testing on scrap wood, and trying two to three colors. In the end...best decision ever! The folks who bought my house still rave about the island. I happened to be visiting my good friend, who still lives across from our old house, when the new owners came over. They invited me in and showed me how they've changed nothing! They love it! Who knew. It's your kitchen and ultimately your design chioce. There are professionals that can do it for you, too...if your unsure. Good luck!

• busybee3
    8 years ago

i definitely would leave it as is... at least for the time being! I think your gray counter stools will probably look best with the island's current color... there are many ways to personalize and enliven a kitchen! having a diy painted island might not be the best look in this kitchen!

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Never tried it, but the woodworking shop where I get my advice highly recommends General Finishes milk paint, including glazes

Have to say that even though I recommended painting the walls, it's not doing much for me. (Personally, I like the dark blue island the best). Still, I'd try the glass uppers first, different stools, an oriental rug, different accessories before embarking on painting that island. And a different family room rug!

• missymoo12
    8 years ago

Here's a voice that says go for it. BUT WAIT.

There are several other things that could stand updating before you ever touch the island. And unless you are close to professional with your painting skills, hire it done. Seriously. I am close to being a pro painter and I would not do your island. I've painted my own cabinets, with BM Advance. I would have it disassembled and taken to a shop and get the thing done there. Forget the chalk paint. Not for this house.

things you should do first

move in - get settled - putting your furniture in will change all of the look

change light fixtures - nothing else you do will make as big an impact, but it will be more subtle. Well unless you go Liberace.

buy some rugs - put some art up

see if you really want the gray bar stools there - you may change your mind

get to know your neighbors ( make sure no one else has a blue island ;)

I could go on but IMO you have a bit of ground to cover before painting the island. You might even decide the other cabs need a color...;)

Beautiful house I love the ceiling beams and windows. Please post pics once you get settled.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

I've been thinking about the painted island some more, and I can completely understand wanting to put your own personal stamp on a new home. That's how I've been feeling since moving into our new place (although I'm absolutely NOT painting anything). As has been said previously in this post and as has been said to me several times - wait and live in your space awhile before making any big changes. If you still want to paint that island on down the line, at least you will have given the current look a chance to grow on you, which I suspect will happen once you bring in your own decorative items.

I'm going to continue to be a naysayer though. I really dislike the kitchen painted in different colors. It's too disjointed. What you have now is a gorgeous, unified, (and yes, I'm using this word again - ) CLASSY space.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Just an FYI milk paint water spots so you would need to seal it.

• C Marlin
    8 years ago

I'm the the don't paint the cabinet chorus, paint the walls. Another thought put some color in the backslash..

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Firstly, THANK YOU so much to all who are weighing in. I will not paint the island myself! Secondly, a bit of background. I just built a beautiful home from scratch. Custom designed and built. It was a long-time dream come true. A labor of love for 12 months. My builder was awful. We plowed forward anyway. Became a full time job. Then 5 days before closing the neighbor's in the home next door filed suit with our builder saying our new home was flooding theirs. (it was) You cannot buy a home that is involved in a lawsuit. We'd already sold our other home. We were screwed. We received all our money back and moved in with my dad. In desperation we purchased this house in the pics above because the seller offered 3 weeks closing and it was in my kiddos elementary school boundaries. It is a beautiful home. But nothing like the dream I just finished building and lost. Opposites in style and colors. But still, yes, lovely. This is why I greatly appreciate outside advice on change. Because it's like dating right after a devastating break up. Nothing will do. I hate it all. (yes I know this soundly hugely ungrateful) I know I'll get over it. Just not yet. So... I'm going to heed advice here that says "wait". Live with the fact that none of my furniture matches the home. Wait to see how I can make this home my own. I will start with the glass inserts for the cabinet doors (thank you so much for this suggestion!!) and then I think I'm going to have that island painted. I am really not a fan of the kilim beige. Not sure which color but leaning towards the Wythe blue. Tribbix you've given me a great gift to be able to "See" it ahead of time.

Incidentally, this was my backsplash in the home I built. The colors are called Lt Sea Turtle and Feather Greige. I think maybe I could do it in this kitchen, don't you?

Thanks again.

Uplaod test · More Info

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

A pox on those "neighbors'' who filed a suit rather than first sitting down with you to see if the problem could be resolved amicably. Probably good they're not your neighbors now.

The backsplash is beautiful. I'm with you re: the Wythe Blue. I think it looks gorgeous. Remember, your very first mention was that of a "robin's egg blue", and as is often the case, your first instinct is correct!

I'd paint the walls a color like the taupe in the design of the backsplash. I think the rendition above, with the creamier taupe walls (go warm, though, to work with the cabinets) and the Wythe Blue island is less sterile and less "kitchen-y" than the original kitchen. I do think very open kitchens, in which people will hang out a lot, are better off being made to be more home-y than kitchen-y.

yes to new pendants and definitely yes to the glass-paned cab doors. Great suggestion of NSM's.

• dulcie
    8 years ago

I would not paint the island. If anything, have you thought about a new top for the island? Once you get new lighting, some artwork and accessories, I would definitely consider a honed black granite for the island top. Every room needs a bit of black for drama, and I think what you're seeing as monochromatic and washed out is the absence of a single dramatic color. But it shouldn't be the island base. The problem with color is how easily it can look cheap. You have a gorgeous home. Try out the idea of a new contrasting countertop and see if it adds that pop you're looking for.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes a pox on THE BUILDER. Not the neighbor... tho' they didn't understand they weren't suing US at first and got a little ugly with us. But they were absolutely right. Anyway, thank you all!

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Glad to read you've decided to wait! As for giving it personality, that's what a custom IS. However, I do understand this isn't *your* custom house, but that's where your style of decorating comes into play. Your color selection is wide open for the neutral kitchen. Have new Roman shades made, buy a runner to use between the sink/stove area, another rug for the breakfast area, get new stools(what you have look cheap)with colorful cushions, and add a few well-chosen accessories to the countertops. Basically you have a blank canvass re:decorating, and hopefully it will all come together beautifully, even though it isn't your dream home.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I hope with a little time you will come to love the house and it's kitchen, whether you paint the island or not. And thanks to tibbix for all those visuals.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Couldn't have done them w/o Cawaps managing to get an uploadable form of the pics!

Sorry, I believe in trying to work things out amicably before flinging lawsuits at people, including the builder, especially neighbors!

• radar2
    8 years ago

I think the cabinet stain looks very blotchy and too close to the colour of the floor. I also think the island and the hood should be left as is but the cabinets should either be painted or refinished... jmo.....Love the suggestion of some glass inserts for the doors.

• missymoo12
    8 years ago

You know I think radar is on to something!
    Wow that is such a terrible story about your dream home. Do you have more interior pictures of it to share with us? That might help us to help you get this new house to be where you want it. That backsplash is lovely but not sure about with the stained cabinets, but now if you painted the stained cabinets...

• sheesh
    8 years ago

I agree, tibbrix! Fortunately my son's builder took full responsibility for the flooding problem, no lawsuit needed. It was nevertheless a GIANT headache for several years for my son and his neighbor, and very costly for the builder. iamskc is much better off without that headache, I'm sure.

• C Marlin
    8 years ago

I'm confused - if you were building your home, didn't you own the land already? How does it work you can get all your money back? (happy you did, just don't get it)

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

Probably same as our build job that we walked away from earlier this year. The builder owned the land, and we were buying it AND the newly constructed house from him.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Radar you are right. The stain color (Toffee Brown) on the cabinets is my LEAST favorite part of the kitchen. But I figured painting to match the hood and island or re-staining a darker color would be a major overhaul.

Yup, Builder owned land and took out the loan. We paid 10% upfront and then he was building at a 10% profit off the whole sha-bang. He (or more likely his architect) made a huge mistake somewhere. Unfortunately, he hid from blame. We received our 10% back, plus all the direct expenses I'd put into the home like special-order fixtures. The loss of the house is deep.

• Kanga
    8 years ago

Iamsck, I wish there was a (((HIUG))) button for you. I'm sorry about your previous home.

• olychick
    8 years ago

What a devastating loss after putting your heart and soul into your dream home. I do hope that you will come to at least like this house (it looks so wonderful!) and can figure out ways to make it your own.

You are very wise to heed the advice to wait. I think, when you do change colors (of the walls or the island), it will feel like you are changing YOUR kitchen, updating, warming it up, etc. rather than eliminating parts of someone else's kitchen - the contractors/developers/former owner or whoever designed this one. It doesn't feel like yours yet, but I hope someday it will and you can make improvements that fully satisfy you.

• isabel98
    8 years ago

I get that it's not your style but I'm sure you will come to appreciate things in this house. it is very nice. DON't paint the island right away. Our island with stools gets the most wear with the kids sitting at the counter. this is where a factory finish is especially important. If you add the glass to cabinets this will help; and you could also look at wallpaper or grasscloth inside the cabinets. or paint. rugs can transform your space as well as changing the lighting.

after all this then consider painting your cabinets.

Try to find things you love and focus on those. enjoy your new home.

• amykath
    8 years ago

Oh my! First, let me say how sorry I am about your dream home. We just finished building ours. I can not imagine how horrible that must have been and can absolutely understand how you must be feeling now.

On a positive note, you can always make this as close to your dream home as possible as you can see what is already laid out and how you might change it to exactly what you want. Not sure how much money you guys have to spend on this house to do such. However, hopefully with time you can make it into something you love. Take your time, think about all of the things you do and do not like about it. It is a gorgeous home!

• amykath
    8 years ago

BTW, painting cabinets is not that big of a deal. I know you would have a professional do it. I painted every cabinet in our new house. I was surprised I was able to do it myself. We only have one wall of cabinets that was prefinished. Here is a photo. It is not yet complete, but I painted everything except the one wall of cabs that are cream. My husband made the range hood and I painted it as well. We also took the cheapest home depot cabs and I painted those in our pantry as well.

gw · More Info

gw · More Info

You can always change out light fixtures that aren't your style and paint cabs. I saw if your other kitchen you had off white cabinets. Maybe that is what you could consider for the wood perimeter cabs.

Good luck!

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

iamskc - You'll get there, it will just take much longer than planned. Love your silver stools and the backsplash and what you show of the kitchen you built. (Would love to see more of that!) What kind of a budget do you have remaining at this time?

From what you showed of your dream home, you prefer clean lines, no? Your new space is amazing, by the way. I took some time to photoshop your kitchen, removing the lights and current stools. I think the perimeter stained cabinets and island lines are fine. The island does look a different color than the hood area so I made the hood area 'match' (so yes, I'm in the paint the island, camp). I'd suggest redoing the hood area in much cleaner lines. Omit the corbels and repaint. New pendants and backsplash, et voila! New dream kitchen.

OT - aktillery - BEAUTIFUL!! I've been waiting for your reveal - did I miss it?

V1:

V2: subway backsplash

V3: Damask - this just seemed fun, scale is off

V4:

I guess my point is that a cleaner backsplash might appeal to you more. Best of luck!

Edited to add - if you can take a picture of your Lt Sea Turtle and Feather Greige backsplash, taken from straight on, I can try to photoshop it for you:)

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago

A couple more and then I promise to stop mangling your beautiful new home! Only change is a silvery backsplash and including new stool.

Last, with an attempt at your last backsplash, and the removal of the corbels. (Whole area to have backsplash). Did the tile look 'dotted' like this from a distance? You had it in a very enclosed area. It does appear to be a smaller tile.

• amykath
    8 years ago

Good call oldbat! I like your mock ups too! I am a clean lines type of gal.

I haven't revealed my kitchen as it's not done. I will soon! I also dislike the rug under our table. I have to wait to buy another. . I still feel there's much to do before I will feel it's "revealable". Lol

• Bunny
    8 years ago

Your new kitchen is lovely. It looks like you've got plenty of space. I'm sorry about what happened to your "dream" home, but it's very fortunate that you found this place so quickly.

I agree with the majority who say leave it be for now, move in, give it 6-12 months. However, Radar said what I was thinking when I see photos. I think the cabinets look blotchy. It could be the photos and lighting. I think they have a much greater impact than the island. I would consider refinishing or painting them rather than the island.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

WOW oldbat2be. This is AMAZING. And your last pic is exactly what my backsplash would look like in the space. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It looks like it doesn't work with the new kitchen. I'm glad to know that before I made an attempt. I don't want to add much money to the house as I since we were in a rush we didn't exactly get a great price on it. But I do want to paint the cabinets. Here are pics of MY kitchen

Uplaod test · More Info

I look at them almost every day.

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Uplaod test · More Info

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Uplaod test · More Info

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Uplaod test · More Info

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thank you for letting me release some of this on here. A bit of therapy.

• IdaClaire
    8 years ago

What a beautiful room it was going to be. I certainly understand why you lament the loss. (((((Hugs)))))

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Love those pendants!

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

How can you not help but feel devastated? I know I certainly would if my hopes for my dream kitchen were shattered. It's so much the heart of the home. I have a feeling you will eventually be able to recreate something comparable to that of your dream since your present kitchen has good bones and looks to be close to the same set-up, island, etc.

I'm wondering if the stained cabs, if sanded lightly, a Minwax in a dark color could be applied/absorbed, and just have leave the island in the ivory glazed treatment. The look would be the total opposite of your dream kitchen, but the stained cabs might look better than what they do now. Not a DIY job, but not as costly as replacing. Just trying to (((help))).

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Sounds to me like iamskc is one lucky duck! You got out of a lemon of a house. Count your blessings. No "dream kitchen" or house is worth what you would have gone through had you not been able to get out of that contract and had been stuck with that house.

Terrible, though, that you were put through that due to someone else's incompetence.

• rockybird
    8 years ago

I am so sorry! I can only imagine how that must hurt! I know you can make this house into something you love. Can you paint the toffee cabinets? I have to be honest, I dont like them either. But I agree with everyone who says live in it a little while first to get an idea of what you will ultimately want.

• Beth Mallon
    8 years ago

I'm sorry about the ordeal you have been through! Your new home is gorgeous. As others have said, I hope that once you move your things into this home, it will begin to feel more like home. Have you considered staining the wood hood to the same toffee color as the cabinets? That would make your island more of the focal point and would be a relatively inexpensive fix I would hope. I would also get some really unique pendants that reflect your style to hang over the island. I think those two actions would really make the space pop until you've lived in the space for awhile and know what you want. Right now, the cream colored hood keeps standing out when I look at the kitchen photo. Best of luck as you and your family settle into your home!

• iamskc
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just thought I'd update those who were so kind to me on this thread. Turns out the house this kitchen belongs to did not appraise for what we offered! So last week we got out of the purchase! I was so very very relieved. We knew the moment our offer was accepted we'd made a mistake. But we were bound by the contract. Not any more! AND I very quickly found another home I like very much. Nothing will compare to the home I built. But this one is so lovely and fits... "us". I know we will make it a great home. So much for painting the Island blue! And goodbye to those toffee cabinets! Thank you again for the sympathy concerning our build-gone-bad. ONWARD!

• anitamo
    8 years ago

Third time's the charm, right? So sorry you had to give up your dream home, so I'm hoping this one will outshine all the rest. Can't wait to see it. Best of luck to you.

• oldbat2be
    8 years ago
    Yay! I was just thinking about you this week and wondering how you were doing. Please post with any questions / help you need with the new house... We'd also love to just see pictures! Best, oldbat2be
  • nini804
    8 years ago

Oh, what happy news!! So glad for you!

• amykath
    8 years ago

That is wonderful news! I hope you keep us posted and share some photos of your new home!