SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

I want a desktop!

jane__ny
8 years ago

All the sales are on laptops. I hate laptops. ]

I am replacing an XP desktop (which upsets me) but want the same thing. No Apple.

I like to sit at my desktop with a nice size screen. I need room for pictures and a few photo programs. I do attend some webinars so want decent speed.

I do not want a laptop (have a few, hate them)! I have an Ipad (rarely use it).

I want a nice desktop that works quickly and has a lot of memory and at least 1T hard drive. I want quality and would spend up to $800.00.

Any suggestions?

Jane

Comments (49)

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You may already know this - If having large screen is the main reason to have a desktop, you can always hook up two monitors, a regular key board and mouse, just like having a desktop. Then you unhook monitors, key board and take the laptop with you when you need to be mobile. It takes less than 1 minute making the switch.

It is the set up I have for my MAC laptop, I really like it. I also have a Dell desktop, but frequently I wish I could take it wherever I need to be.

Why do you hate your laptop? and not using IPad? I use iPad almost daily.

• DA_Mccoy
    8 years ago

I don't like laptops, but choice is what makes the world go-round.

If you can put on a life jacket and wait until next month the Christmas sales will start. Meanwhile, a visit to HP.com should be informative.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/cat/desktops

DA

• Related Discussions

Desktop icons, want to change font color.

Q

Comments (1)
    Try setting the background color to something light -- Windows will pick a contrasting color based off the background color vs. the image, if I remember right.
    ...See More

How do I get my desktop Icons back?

Q

Comments (8)
    "LOL" Cboy yep I am quick for sure. Ha! I followed your instructions and then I rebooted to make sure those icons would stay in place. Before I posted here I wanted to make sure that everything was working normal, after I rebooted walla those icons came back. "Smiles" Thank you so much for your help. This was a simple fix but I didn't know it at the time. I right clicked on the desktop to find that the backround had been changed, so I changed that but I had forgotten how to get the icons back. I still don't know how the backround got changed and my right clicking on the desktop was a stab in the dark, but when I did that I remembered to check the backround and that is when I discovered that what I was thinking was a white screen turned out to be an internet wallpaper backround. Myself I don't like that even being there, it gives you a false impression of something being wrong because it shows a white screen with gray lines. Thanks cboy for all of your help and I will post on the other thread a thank you to those who stepped in to help me. I have always trusted this forum for the wonderful help that you all provide. thirdfrt!!!
    ...See More

My Desktop isn't showing when I turn on my computer. Why?

Q

Comments (24)
    Wow, there is a lot of good information here. Glad I posted with my problem, now I have something new to try out. Thanks owbist. ravencajun, thanks for the compliment but I only had the first half of it figured out and cboy came to the rescue and helped me with the last half of it. I can't take all the credit. "Smiles" Then zep516 came in catching the fact that System Restore wasn't working right and gave me great information on how to correct that. This was the first time that I've had problems with my desktop, but I have changed the backround on it before and I remembered that and I thought why not check it out and see if I could get it to change and that is when I discovered that the backround had been changed and all I had to do was to put it back like I had it, but then I didn't know how to get the icons back and that's when cboy posted the solution for me. If that ever happens to me again I will know exactly what to do. Thanks owbist for telling me how to move the icons down to the taskbar. I will try that on Wednesday, I will have more time to try it out then. thirdfrt!!!
    ...See More

Can you come up with a better design than my Cabinet Guy?

Q

Comments (2)
    the shorter side (5ft only) Got any ideas to improve?
    ...See More
  • User
    8 years ago

Like you, I have laptops, iPad, etc but am happiest at my desktop. 65 year old eyes may be a contributing factor. :) I've had HP desktops for many, many years and have always been satisfied with them.

• aputernut
    8 years ago

Check the Sunday papers all the tech stores and Walmart plus check online even Walmart has deals better then in their stores online, all 4 of my PC's are HP's and I love them all, and my big boy I am on now is 1T/HD and 8GB RAM expandable to 16 and only cost me around $400 (only needed tower) my 21" HP monitor is perfect.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Neither HP nor Dell has been able to maintain the quality reputations they had years back. Everyone has their preferences, what you get and how good it is is as much the luck of the random choice as not. Companies like Lenovo, Acer, Asus, etc., probably have better reputations these days. And maybe an all-in-one model could be suitable for you.

Don't be oversold with specs. The "speed" of a PC won't have any effect on your watching a webinar, that would depend more on the bandwidth of your internet connection. Streaming video like that is a low demand activity, any recent PC with even modest specs can handle that without breaking a sweat.

Unless you're doing heavy graphics intensive work, you'll likely be unable to discern any difference in your user experience between 4 or 6 or 8 GB of RAM. If you have a large volume of files, backup storage on one (or better, two) external USB drives is more important than the size of the drive in the machine you buy. They're cheap - $60 for 1 TB (1000 GB).

Watch out for refurbished models - if you're buying something for 10 years of use, better (in my view) to start with a new one.

• User
    8 years ago

I agree with most of what Snidely posted! I have Three Acer Laptops, Two Acer Tablets, One Lenovo Laptop and they all work great. I also have a Very Expensive Desktop Computer I built (Asus Motherboard) about 5-6 years ago (still a very capable machine).

I'm just the opposite of you, I like Laptops and Tablets much better than being tied down to a Desk! I would definitely recommend Acer, they've made a huge comeback from the early years!

• DA_Mccoy
    8 years ago

One problem with comparing websites to big box stores is that not all manufactured models are available from both purveyors. At stores there is a spectrum of manufacturers with limited models of each. In turn, the websites will often not include models manufactured for store sales.

As to manufacturers listen to no one. This is when users must be responsible and do their homework. The more you read opinions it becomes a "Great taste! Less filling!" debate.

DA

• User
    8 years ago

I agree with most Snidely said.

Unless you are doing high complexity graphics related projects, huge amount of data manipulation or intense gaming, you really do not need pay for the extra RAMs. You also could back up infrequently used files such as photos, movies, archived documents to external storage devices instead of keeping them on the computer. I know some people keeping thousands photos on their computer, it makes no sense as it is unlikely one would access thousands photos daily.

Manufactures, even the entire supply chain are keeping their inventory low to reduce cost. The 'just in time lean and mean' making them to shop for 'deal of the moment' when they need to replenish parts and material. We all know in general, one gets what one pays for, therefore cheap components are being passed to customers as the so called 'savings'.

You could get extra USB ports by adding a USB hub even your computer has limited number of USB slots. Don't listen to sales persons to buy more 'features', 'capacity', as most of them are just sales persons and have very limited computer expertise.

I do not like 'all in one', as if one part of the system is gone usually the entire system is gone (too expensive to repair even if you could). I would rather having a system with separate components so that I could replace and upgrade based on my needs.

I think having a reliable customer support is very important if you are not very computer savvy. I really do not have recommendation of a Wintel system for you as I have switched to MAC after years struggling with Wintel in spite of having IT support at work, in spite of I grow up with Wintel, using computer everyday for work and computer/engineering is my undergraduate major.

Let us know your choice, good luck shopping!

• Jane
    8 years ago

Thanks all. A lot of information to digest.

I am like aputernut. I like sitting at my desktop. I don't like laptops because I find the keyboard puts me too far from the small screen and I've never mastered using that pad thingy. If I add a wireless keyboard, it just takes up too much desk space.

I rarely take a laptop with me. If we travel I do but that isn't often. I can read my emails and anything else on my phone. I use my phone all day long. I only sit at the desktop to do work.

Azmon, I have heard about hooking a monitor to a laptop but I don't see any connection for it. I like my desktop monitor, its about 21". Its old (8 yrs) as is my desktop but runs well and the monitor is great (SyncMaster). But it has a connector with the two screw things. I can't see anyway to attach that to my laptops.

I have a Win8 laptop which I haven't used for two years. If I could figure out how to hook a monitor to it I would like that. How do you do that? The laptop has 4 usbs and two other connectors which look like usbs but have different shapes. Not sure what those are for.

Do you sit the monitor on top of the laptop? I don't understand the mechanics. I don't have a lot of desk space. I do have wireless keyboards.

Sorry for all the questions. I have looked at monitors briefly in Staples but they are expensive. I figure by the time I buy a laptop, then a monitor it becomes quite costly.

Thanks for all the advice.

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

Hi Jane,

It sounds like you have most of the stuff to set up a desktop system with your laptop, may be you just need to purchase a couple of cables, a monitor or connectors, you will be all set. The monitors I have are from Dell, Costco has reasonable priced ones.

Below are what I did to hook up MAC with two monitors. I found everything at home other than buying a new HDMI cable. I believe hooking up two monitors with a Wintel is very similar to hooking up with a MAC.

Please let me know if you have any questions as I may not explain things clearly.

1. See photo 1: Tilt two monitors, you could find 2 cable slots on the back of the monitors. The white color slot is for DVI cable, the black color slot is for HDMI cable.

2. Insert a HDMI cable into first monitor's HDMI slot, insert the other end of the HDMI cable to MAC's HDMI port.

3. Insert a DVI cable into 2nd monitor's DVI slot. I used an adapter to hook the other end of the DVI cable to MAC's slot. See photo 2, It is the white color square object connected to MAC through a skinny cable and a small white connector.

4. I found an old USB hub, inserted it into one of MAC's USB slots. Since the hub has 4 slots, I used one for key board cable (the black color cable), one for Printer cable (the gray color one) and one slot for the tiny connector of wireless mouse.

Turn on the computer, I now have a desktop with two 24 inches monitors, key board and mouse. If I want to take laptop with me, all I have to do is to disconnect HDMI, DVI, and USB hub and MAC power cord, it takes less than 1 minute.

5. See Photo 3, the jumble tangled cables, power cords mess, with plugs, cords for ipad, iphone as well. So I could recharge iPhone, iPad, and import photos from iphone to MAC.

6. Hide the jumble mess behind two monitors. The desk does not look too messy in Photo 4

Photo 1 - Find the DVI and HDMI cable slots on the back of monitors.

Photo 2 - Hook computer with 2 monitors through DVI and HDMI cables, using USB hub, the narrow black color device for key board cable, printer cable and wireless mouse connector.

Photo 3: A big tangled mess, also includes iphone, ipad plugs and cords.

Photo 4: Hide the jumble mess behind two monitors, can slide laptop under monitors to get more desk space if needed.

• Jane
    8 years ago

Hummm, interesting.

My laptop is a 17" so takes more space. So, you can sit the monitor on top? You need to access the on/off switch so would have to open the laptop.

Can I use my old monitor with that big connector? It has two screw knobs. I wonder how I could find something like you are showing which would fit the connector on my monitor.

Thank you for all the photos and taking the time to post such good information. It gives me a clue that maybe I could use the laptop at least for now and figure out a way to hook my monitor to it.

Jane

• mikie_gw
    8 years ago

See if your monitor will plug into your laptop without using the two attachment screws. Lenovo here is like that.. no screw holes to use those screws but the monitor end connector fits the port ,,,,plugs in nicely and works fine without using those attachment screws with it.

• User
    8 years ago

Hi Jane,

People complain laptops are unreliable, fault prone because they drag their laptops everywhere CARELESSLY, treating them like automobile tires and exposing them to extreme heat and cold. After all, laptop is an electronic device, it has to be handled with respect. I used to travel for work domestically and internationally, I never had a single problem with laptop (hardware, cannot say the same about software). Once I took a flight, they suggested me to ship laptop as a luggage. Unbelievable!

Therefore I want to ask why do you want to sit a monitor on your laptop with all the weight? Open the case to turn it on/off daily is no big deal, you could place monitors apart to allow room to slide laptop between them for more desk space. See photo below.

The DVI cable connector has two big screws, but to make sure, you may want to take your laptop to Fry Electronics, or Best Buy..etc. asking them what you need to hook up your laptop with monitor(s). Make sure to ask specific details until you fully understand the resolutions. Some sales persons speak Greek as themselves are clueless, especially when they help women customers.

Don't spend money for a computer unnecessarily. Don't be lavish with features and capacities for "long term" purpose, as computer is always changing, chance is what you have today will be obsoleted in a few years.

Feel free to ask more questions. Have fun!

• User
    8 years ago

Above I've posted a modification to the picture azmom posted. This picture is of the Monitor connections available on her monitor. The oldest connection is the VGA Connection (Blue in Color here, sometimes Black). Many manufacturers have moved away from these connections (Old Technology). The DVI Connection (White in Color, sometimes Black) was the Next in the list and is a better connection than the VGA connection. Once again the DVI Connection is being replaced by Newer Technology. HDMI is the Newest Video Technology and can carry sound also!

On your Laptop you may have a Connection/Connections similar to the connections above. If you Monitor and Laptop both have the capability the HDMI would be best to use. Hopefully your Laptop and Monitor will have the same connections available! If not there are Adaptors available to convert the connections but they don't 100% of the time work (most of the time they do). Here is a link to Convert VGA to HDMI. Here is a link for DVI to HDMI.

• bengz6westmd
    8 years ago

I'm w/you Jane. Old-fashioned maybe, but much more comfortable sitting at a desk w/a standard desktop & a decent size flat-screen at eye-level, instead of some little handheld or lap thingy which I have to strain my old eyes & bend my neck to read.

• User
    8 years ago

I've got a 26" Flat Screen in at my Desktop but very seldom use it. It hurts my neck to move it around so much (I've had Cervical Surgery). I find sitting in my Recliner with my 15.6" Laptop works for me.

It's a shame, I have a $3,000 computer just sitting there (built it about 6-7 years ago). It's an AMD Phenom x4 940 @ 3.0GHz Black Edition (Quad Core), on an Asus M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard, 8GB G. Skill DDR2 RAM, 2 x 1TB Seagate Hard Drives and 1 x 500GB Seagate Hard Drive, 1GB NVidia GTX 285 Video Card, Windows 10 and much more, it just sits there!

• grandms
    8 years ago

Jane, if you really want to buy a desktop, go directly to HP or Dell and see what they have to offer. Last year, I replaced my XP with a new HP with Intel i-7 processor, 1T HDD, and all the bells and whistles. I'm still using Windows 7, which came on it, and I guess I'll eventually do the free upgrade to Windows 10. The price was within your range, and I am very happy with it. I did not buy a new monitor, and I'm still using the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse I already had as well as the Creative speakers with sub-woofer. I expect it to last for a long time, and since I'm nearly 85 years old, it will be my last machine. I urge you to check directly with manufacturers and compare what you can get for your money.

• zep516
    8 years ago

That's an extremely nice machine to just sit there all in a Cooler Master case too.

• User
    8 years ago

Zep516,

Did I say it was in a CoolerMaster Case? Didn't think I did? Anyway, yes, it's in a CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000 RC-1000 Case. I agree, it's a very nice computer and a shame it just sits there! That $3,000 didn't even include Speakers or a Printer (already had those). I have a decent set of Logitech 5.1 Speakers and Two Brother Printers 1 Color Laser AIO and the other Inkjet AIO!

• In the Top Picture below you can see the 1050w Enermax Revolution 85+ Power Supply and on the floor of the case there is a 120mm fan, two 120mm fans on top and one 120mm in the rear (Intake Fan on bottom has Filters). In the bottom portion to the right you can also see Six Pull Out Trays for Hard Drives and above those are Lt. Blue Quick Release Buttons for the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Players, 5.25" Bays. Sitting on top of the Processor you can see a Zalman 9700NT w/Green LED. To the right of the Heatsink/Fan you can see the G.Skill RAM (Blue). The Black Card is the NVidia Video Card and the Green Card is a Hauppauge HVR-1600 TV Tuner Card.
    • In the bottom picture is my Westinghouse 26" LCD Monitor. On top of the monitor is a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000. To the Right of the monitor you can the Center Speaker for the Logitech 5.1 Sound. Below you can see the Keyboard Mouse Combo (Bluetooth) Logitech MX 5500!

Click on Pics for a larger Picture:

• Jane
    8 years ago

Wow, bugs, I'm so impressed. You could always send that off to me!

Mikie here's some pics of the connectors. It seems my monitor has 3 different types of connectors. Only one plugs into the desktop tower (black connector)

The other two just dangle on the cord.

This is a shot of the monitor

Here's the laptop connectors

Here's the laptop
    Azmom you can see I don't have room for a laptop and separate monitor. This is a small room and I put a little corner desk there. The room is also used as a guest room and has two beds on the other side of the room. That's why I thought a desktop would work better.

Unless I put the monitor on top of the laptop, I would have no where to put the laptop.

The laptop is a Dell. Has sat in the closet for 2 years. I would like to wipe it clean as my husband has no idea what he set up as a password.

Grandms, I hear you. I really don't want to deal with this laptop but I would if there was an easy fix. I like sitting in front of a big screen.

Not sure what to do with this laptop as my husband won't deal with it. He has a Win 7 which he can work with. This laptop is Win8 and he just couldn't figure it out. Thus the closet.

I thought I'd take the Win10 upgrade and finally give up my XP desktop.

Oh well.

I really appreciate all the good advice. Maybe someone could let me know if the connectors would work on the laptop.

Thanks so much. You guys are the best!

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

bug,

Wow! You surely have a robust system! Very cool!

Thank you for adding notations on the photo of connectors. Too bad my MAC only has one HDMI slot for one monitor, have to use DVI cable for the other monitor.

I have an old desktop for 8 years, I honestly believed there was a Vista ghost lived in it. Last year a small computer shop nearby replaced the Vista with Window 7. I hook it up with camera for remote shooting, and to run Wintel applications. It has became a handy 2nd system.

Added:

Jane, Now I know your space constraint.

What is the size of the monitor stand/foot print? Is it possible to get a simple low profile shelf put monitor on the top shelf and slide desktop pc beneath it? It will give you room for key board and mouse, and would not strain your neck and shoulder as monitor won't sit too high.

Can you take a photo of your monitor's cable slots? Hope it has HDMI slot to hook up with your laptop.

• mikie_gw
    8 years ago

If the monitor has a hdmi connection, be simple to use the laptop, just need a hdmi cable. They make vga to hdmi adapters too. It really seems like you need an end table to set the laptop on.

Looks like you really only have room on that desk to use one of the new micro pc's.

• User
    8 years ago

Jane,

• From the looks of things You only have an HDMI Output on your Laptop. This is the one you would use to hook your Monitor up to! Below is a Picture where I've labeled your connections.
      As posted above by Azmom: If you could Post a Picture of the Monitor where it plugs in at, this would be a much easier ordeal.
    • Are you only hooking up One Monitor or are you going to be hooking up Two Monitors, I'm confused?
    • Knowing these things would help us to direct you what to get to make this work.
    • I would suggest a Small Table to the Side of your desk to hold your Laptop; something like an Old Telephone Stand! Something like in the Pic Below!
    • There are connections for Splitting your HDMI if Two Monitors. There are Convertor Cables for changing from HDMI to DVI or HDMI to VGA. If your only using One Monitor and you have an HDMI Connection on the Monitor it may be as simple as Mike_GW Posted above, just hooking up an HDMI Cable between the Laptop and Monitor.
    • Hope this has helped you and hasn't confused you!
  • Jane
    8 years ago

I only want one monitor, the one in the photo (second photo under the connectors,Samsung). The photo of the blue connectors (1st photo) is what the monitor has. The big, black one is what plugs into the tower now (desktop). Desktop is still XP and I know I have to move on to Win 10.

I'd like to keep the monitor instead of buying a new one. It works perfectly.

Do you want me to show a picture of the back of my tower? I won't be using it anymore. The only monitor connections available to me are in the photos I posted.

Thanks so much,

Jane

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    8 years ago

I have a 42 inch LG, not smart, TV and an Intel stick, wireless keyboard and mouse, old DVD player. The Intel is about the size my old TracPhone (Somehow, never spell that right.) with Firefox and Win 10.

• User
    8 years ago

Jane,

Okay, First thing is first: You'll only need the Cord with the Blue Connections at each End. You can take the Y connection with One Black and Two Blue connections off, you won't need it any longer. You will then need to purchase something like this: HDMI to VGA Convertor (Click on the Green Text to the Left). You could always purchase something like this: HDMI to VGA Cable (Click on the Green Text to the Left) and Skip the diagram below. The cable would connect your Laptop straight to your Monitor!

Below is a Crude Picture of the Setup you could use. connect 1. to 1., connect 2. to 2. and 3. to 3. Click on photo to enlarge!

• Jane
    8 years ago

Wow, interesting. I think I'll order that cable and try it! Certainly affordable.

Thanks, Bugspop!

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

It should be easy enough and you won't have to Splurge for a new computer. That Laptop will be good for almost anything you want to do.

If you're going to Upgrade the Laptop to Windows 10 you'll need to Download and Install all Windows Updates before it will be available for Download. After all Updates are installed you should get an Icon in the Lower Right Corner of the Taskbar on the Desktop (click on Windows 8 Tile marked Desktop).

The Icon will look something like this:

Once you have this Icon Click on it and it will guide you thru the Windows 10 Setup process! Just follow the instructions. Windows 10 can be set to look and work like Windows 8/8.1 or like Windows 7. Windows 7 would look and act a lot more like Windows XP then Windows 8/8.1 ever would! I'm sure you and your husband could get use to using Windows 10!

• User
    8 years ago

Jan,

You got good advice from Bugs and Mikie. It is great, save you the expense for a new computer.

Bug,

What apps did you use to make the cables/connectors diagram? It looks very nice.

• User
    8 years ago

Thanks azmom, I just used Paint in Windows 10. It's located in Start> All Apps> Windows Accessories> Paint

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just wanted to update. I got the connector in Staples and now my old monitor works perfectly. It needed a VGI-HMI connector. Easy/peasy! Never had anything computer related work without a headache!!

I am now trying to figure out how to shut off the laptop screen. I have both screens working at the same time. I'd like to shut the lid on the laptop but when I do it shuts it down. I did change the Power settings to 'do nothing when lid closed' but it still shuts down the laptop.

I love having the big screen!

Thank you all so much,

Jane

• mikie_gw
    8 years ago

Look at your F# keys - one or more will have pic of a display. Fn + F# to turn on/off display.

• User
    8 years ago
    1. The Acer I'm on right now, it's the FN Key + the F6 Key to shut the laptops LCD off.

I have Two Dell's in front of me right now:

1. One Dell is FN Key + F1 Key
    2. The other Dell is FN Key + F8 Key.
    3. The Lenovo we have is the FN Key + F3 Key.
    4. The Toshiba we have is the FN Key + F5 Key.
    5. The other two Acer we have are both FN Key + F6 just like the first!

Like Mike post above, usually one or two F Keys have Pictures of Monitors. One is usually for setting up a Second Monitor and the other is for Turning Off the Laptops LCD Screen.

As you can see in my list above, there aren't too many with the same Key combinations. All Three Acers we have here have the same key combination for shutting off the LCD Screen. Yes, we do have lots of Laptops here, the two Dell's aren't mine, I'm working on them for people. I didn't check my daughters MacBook Pro to see if there is a combination for that or not?

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very cool! It worked!! Fn+F1

This has to be done each time the computer is shut down, that's okay though.

Now, if I could find a way to close the laptop lid without shutting it down!

You guys are the very best!

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

Jane,

Try going to Control Panel then Power Options Icon. In the Left Column click on: Choose What Closing the Lid Does. On the screen that opens you should see 2 Columns with 3 Drop Down Menus in each Column, Battery On and Plugged In. Go to the 3rd Drop Down in the Plugged In Column, click on the Drop Down Arrow and pick Do Nothing. At the Bottom of the Page click on Save Changes. See if that will do the trick?

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks bugs, I tried that and it still shuts off when I close the lid. Thanks to you and Mikie, at least I don't have to see two screens working at the same time. I just have to leave the lid up.

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

Sorry, that works for me! Are you sure you've clicked on the Choose What Closing the Lid Does in the Left Column? If you don't click on Choose What Closing the Lid Does you will get a very similar screen with Two Columns: Battery On and Plugged IN! Below I have two pictures, the First is the Balanced Screen and the Second is the Choose what closing the lid does. Just want to make sure you're using the right settings! Note the similarities!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OMG, Bugs! It worked, I did it wrong.

I didn't hit 'apply' at the bottom. I just closed the lid and I'm still on the big monitor!!! Yea!!!

Please PM me. You don't have an email address. I want to thank you personally for all the help and kindness you have offered.

Now I can hide the laptop somewhere. Got to figure this out but I'm so thrilled!

Before:

See the laptop sitting on a snack tray next to the big monitor.

Now.......

Closed!!!!!!

Thanks, Bugs, please PM me.

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

Always glad to help!

BTW, your small setup there looks pretty nice. I've got this huge L-shaped Glass Desk and a Huge Box sitting down on the Floor (oh, that's the computer)! There just isn't enough room in my computer room for the things I have in there. I did have another small Glass Desk that was on rollers (use to have 3 complete computer systems set up in that room). I should have kept the smaller desk and got rid of the L-Shaped Desk. Still would have had that Huge Box.

• User
    8 years ago

BTW Jane, I think I did PM you! My email has my same name in it!

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bugs, I never got it. I've looked everwhere. Can you try again?

Jane

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    8 years ago

You do not have your name set to accept emails. I would like to speak to you personally. I did not receive any emails. Maybe its this site?

I hope you get this.

Jane

• User
    8 years ago

Jane, I did resend that PM. All you should have to do is go to Your Houzz and click on Messages. You should then see a message from me, bugspop1. As far as I know my PM is set up! I did get one from someone in September but I never check it unless someone tells me they sent one!

• User
    8 years ago

Jane, I've tried 4-5 times to send the same message. Not sure how to get ahold of you. I won't post a Name, Address, Phone Number or Email Address Publically! You could sign up at the Invisionfree IBBS Computer Help Forum and then try a PM there!

• User
    8 years ago

Jane, I did finally get your PM on Houzz. I've been pretty busy with Christmas. I tried to get to the forum here every day. I did send you another PM!

• User
    8 years ago

bugs, thank you for the reply. Sorry I have not stopped by here for a long while.

Jane, You did it, your set up looks great!

• breenthumb
    8 years ago

I've been following this since the very beginning and I'm writing to thank Jane and all who contributed. Wish I'd even thought of this before buying my desktop because I like a desktop too, and currently have one of those giant desk/ hutch things so size is not a problem, but would like to be more "flexible" in the future. Its a keeper. Thanks, all.

• User
    8 years ago

Azmom, It's quite all right!

breenthumb, Think this all started out with us trying to talk Jane into using her Husbands Laptop with Windows 10 on it instead of buying a new Desktop Computer. I think Jane is finally getting the hang of things in Windows 10. It can be a little confusing in the beginning, just need to take your time and try things out! Microsoft has always hidden things in their Operating Systems and sometimes you find them by accident!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022