SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinatac

New home, crappy contractor and alot of reading in minimal time.

Navy Chief
8 years ago

If the subject doesn't say it all, here it goes. I moved into a new home in Chesapeake, VA and the contractor did a phenomenal job at laying down contractor seeds (what I presume to be weed seeds) and throwing straw all over the place in the middle of summer. The flavor of soil for that particular event was sand/clay/crap. So, needless to say, weeds grew all over the place. With my minimal knowledge at the time and being away from home due to work requirements (weeks on end), I decided to cut the weeds as low as possible and then aerate with a plugger and then seed approximately 100 lbs of tall fescue in 5000 sq ft area. FESCUE IS GROWING GREAT!!! My wife followed instructions to the "T" and watered the living be-geez-us out of it. (I might nominate her for a Wife Achievement Medal "WAM").

My problem is I have weeds and good ole fescue growing. The fescue is growing in the spots where the plugs were taken out during aeration and also in various other places. My question is, should I slit seed it or will I ruin the already growing fescue. How do I get rid of the weeds (crabgrass and the sort) without killing my wife's hard work? I've been reading books and the interweb trying to find an answer.

Please help,

Full of weeds in VA

Comments (5)