SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Kitchen floorplan choices, please weigh in!

mrspete
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We're settled on a floor plan -- this is a retirement house, I'm late 40s, will retire in about 5 years, all children are now in college -- this house is for me and my husband, we're in the South and will entertain probably once a week. We both cook ... but never together.

We are making only three changes -- all rather minor -- to the house overall: The entrance to the master bedroom, the location of the laundry, and the location of the garage. I feel good about those things. However, I'm not so sure about the kitchen, and I'd appreciate your feedback.

This is a picture of the kitchen shared on Don Gardner's website:

No thank you for the following reasons:

- TOO open to the great room

- A bit too small; we're adding 2', bringing it to 13'8" in width. We're also adding a bit of breathing room to the breakfast nook so the pathway between the garage and the rest of the house will be comfortable. Expanding a few feet works fine with the roof line.

- Don't want the barstools or the angled edge

What I do like and want to keep:

- The U-shaped cabinetry configuration ... paired with the wall of cabinets behind

- That the kitchen is located between the breakfast room and the dining room, easily accessible to both

- We'll have a large pantry in the mudroom, just steps away

- The location of the refrigerator and the range. I can't imagine them elsewhere.
My basic thoughts, not too far from the original plan:

Question 1: Sink location

That's a 48" three-doored sink base (sandwiched between two Super Susans for a total of 10' of cabinet depth) holding a large sink, the Kohler Stages 45 -- yeah, it looks smaller, but this is as big as the computer program will allow it to look. This large sink is a non-negotiable. Would you keep it in this spot, overlooking the great room ... or would you move it to the peninsula overlooking the breakfast nook?

I anticipate using both areas for prep. I use a ton of fresh vegetables in my cooking, but I also roll out dough and decorate cakes fairly often.

Connected question: Either way, the dishwasher is going to have to be "around a corner". I've had this set-up before, and while it isn't perfect, I like the rest of the layout enough to accept this. Most dishes would store on the "back wall", which is kind of a step-and-a-swivel away from the dishwasher.

Questions 2: How much wall do I want?

As I said, the photograph is TOO open to the great room. Would you do a small opening or a larger one?

Two notes:

I'm not interested in bar stools anywhere, and I know the cabinets could use some sprucing up -- these are just computer basic layouts. I'm interested in location and size right now, not style.

I lean towards this small opening over the sink. It would allow me to keep my oft-used KitchenAid mixer on the cabinet to the right of the sink /under the upper cabinet.

OR do I want a taller cabinet with more presence?

And would you use a shutter or closure of some sort? How to do that without looking like a saloon in an old western movie? I'd want it to look good on both sides. What about a piece of stained glass in this opening?

My biggest concern about an opening over the sink isn't so much how it looks from the kitchen ... as how it looks from the great room. Both views matter!

Or do I want to open it up a bit more, yet not quite so wiiiiide open as the photograph? This corner feels a bit too exposed to me.

I'm open to other thoughts on dividing the kitchen and great room.

Question 3: What to do with the back wall?

I love this back wall -- I feel like it's what makes a U-shaped kitchen work well -- it keeps the counter tops clutter-free. I had this set-up once before and loved it. But the details?

My first thought is this -- refrigerator is close to the peninsula work station and the breakfast nook, the cabinet gives me a place to "set out" fruit or a cake, or to set a pan of rolls as they rise. The tall cabinet to the left is the appliance cabinet -- it'll hold the microwave, toaster oven, and coffee maker -- something like the lower picture.

I like this arrangement because it means one person can get a drink from the refrigerator, make a sandwich, or warm something in the microwave without coming into the main work area. When I said my husband and I both cook but never together, I actually meant, we annoy one another in the kitchen, so if one of us is cooking, the other stays out of the room. We like to be close enough to talk, but we don't like to be IN the kitchen together.

OR, is it more practical to place the refrigerator in the middle, splitting up the other cabinets?

Note: I'm going with a French-door refrigerator (again, this is what the computer program will allow me to place in this image), so centering the refrigerator seems to make sense to me.

So, three questions for you:

- Where to place the sink?

- How much wall do I want?

- And where on the back wall does the refrigerator belong?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (23)