SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
my3mutts

Please help with our 'Layout with a View' floor plan!!!

my3mutts
14 years ago

I'm new at posting online, but we are in real need of some of the planning advice on this forum that I've been admiring from afar for months now!!! We moved into our house a few years ago and are just getting started remodeling the kitchen, which is original to the house (1991). We are going with new cherry cabinets from a local custom cabinetmaker, new countertops (soapstone or granite, still undecided), new lighting, and new flooring (probably continue the adjoining oak floors into the kitchen). We will not be making any structural changes, and for budgetary reasons will keep the current range (about 5 yrs old) and possibly the 2 yr old dishwasher. I hate the way the refrigerator fits so it has to go in favor of a cabinet depth one in black or maybe stainless (another design dilemma but not as permanent)!

We are having major problems deciding on a floor plan. The kitchen is hard to plan around-it's spacious enough but very broken up with large windows and 3 doors. Actually the whole house, kitchen included, was built with an eye toward the lovely view out of our back windows. We are on a hill and you can see miles over trees to a skyline view of our capital city and mountain ridges beyond, and the sunsets are spectacular. So when designing we're willing to make sacrifices to preserve our current view from the kitchen table.

As far as we can see there are two possibilities - 1. keep current layout and just update everything. Pros: keeps current efficient working triangle, less expensive, and I enjoy having the range on a island facing the view while cooking. Cons: not gaining any needed working counter space, range choices limited in future to downdraft Jenn-Air, also harder to figure in microwave placement and trash base cabinets without losing any needed storage space.

- 2. we can move the refrigerator to where the desk area is now and box it in along with a short run of cabinets alongside, move the stove to the current refrigerator wall, and have a smaller island that's all working space. Pros: can install an outside vent hood and we gain a lot more counter space. Cons: distance between the fridge and range and the fridge and sink will be about 12 feet each. That seems long. But maybe ok with a prep sink in the island? We intend to be here for a while but we don't want to impact any future resale with an unworkable floor plan. I'm not even sure how we would feel about all that walking.

Anyway we are at an impasse and are looking for additional ideas or thoughts to help us decide. It's just my husband and myself (daughters are grown and on their own) and we mainly prepare vegetables and salads for meals, no real gourmet cooking. The current Jenn-air is vented outside and is adequate for the type of cooking we do, so that is not a big consideration.

Thank you for any advice you can give!!!

Comments (9)