SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

10/18/15 journal: Things you learn, tips and quotes that helped?

strawchicago z5
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Things I learn this year: Thanks, Carol for that link on the small electric shredder, I re-post the link that Carol gave:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/sun-joe-shredder-joe-13-amp-161-reduction-electric-leaf-mulchershredder/6000162307797

Question: does it start easily? Most gas-shredder are really hard to start, even the $500 new one. My neighbor doesn't mind us borrowing his gas-wood-chipper ... but it's a real-pain to start.

Bluegirl in TX sent me this wonderful quote from the Bible, Philippians 4:4

"Rejoice in the lord always,

I will say it again--rejoice!

Let your gentleness be obvious to everyone--

the Lord is near.

Do not be anxious about anything,
but in everything--

by prayer & supplication-- & with thanksgiving--
let your concerns be know to God.

And the peace of God,

which surpasses all understanding,

will guard your hearts & minds in Christ Jesus."

Another thing that Bluegirl wrote which helped me was " getting hurt is just part of being alive & we can only learn to deal with our reactions to it, not change the ways others act towards us."

Below are annuals in my garden. They are good despite Friday frost down to 30 F, or -1 C. Pic. taken today Sunday, Oct. 18. What are things you learned this year, or quotes and tips that helped?

Comments (81)

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I like Coca-Cola the best. I always drink it without ice, cause ice dilutes the flavor. It's not like I have it everyday - but maybe 3-4 times/week. That's still a lot. As to the exposure therapy - I never get sick of tastes/food that I like. I love yummy things. I remember in grade school, I had a peanut butter sandwich every day for 6 years. Never got sick of it. Then I heard about cheese/lettuce sandwiches - another 6 years. Yum!! :)

Interesting about the fluffy soil. Hmmm....

Jess - when I think of steel wool, I think of SOS pads. Is that what you mean? If so, wouldn't watering the soil get all the chemicals into the food I'm growing? Or do you actually mean steel scouring balls? That sounds more reasonable? I'm going to try that next year! Far easier than the crushed eggs (which might have salmonella).

Thanks everyone for your prayers for Holly and me. She's still doing fine. Yay!!

I agree, Jess, I don't use artificial sweeteners.

Love, love, love your roses!!! And some of them are roses I've never heard of. Your Amarula Profusion is lovely!!! Love the look of your Queen Elizabeth. I love that look. I might try to find Belle Epoque. I love highly scented roses. They all look wonderful!

Carol

• Related Discussions

10/27/15: Tips & recipes & thoughts to healthy life and healthy roses

Q

Comments (63)
    JESS: Thank you for the pics. & neat info. about Badger .. I really enjoy learning about the animals in South Africa. One cup of chicken manure per bush is TOO MUCH. In a British rose forum, a lady burnt her roses by using chicken manure once a month. In my cold zone, I use chicken manure VERY SMALL amount when the temp is cool & rainy. Folks use Rose-Tone (has chicken manure) once a month for roses in pots. But that has only 1/6 chicken manure. I would use only 1/2 cup, 1 cup would be too salty. I killed a rose by mixing 1/2 cup of chicken manure in the planting hole. When chicken manure touches the root, it kills the root, best to dilute ONLY 1/2 cup with soil before spreading around the bush. I started a new thread, "10/30/15: Bad habits, good habits, rose & health tips, recipes." http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3473294/m=3/10-30-15-bad-habits-good-habits-rose-and-health-tips-recipes
    ...See More

10/30/15: bad habits, good habits, rose & health tips, recipes

Q

Comments (54)
    Wow!! Carol, I'm happy for you. Heel to toe for 8 steps takes a lot of coordination, and YOU DID IT. When my kid was 4 years old, she would be so happy when I lost weight on the scale ... health for my friends cheer me up more than roses. I'm elated when I heard Garran home & healthy, and I'm happy about rain for Jess & no more thorns in her toe. I am happy when my daughter is happy. I'm sure that's how God, our Father in heaven, feels .. He's happy when His children (us) are happy. My kid has a friend came over today (same age). The friend was on Ensure (canned nutrition with soy milk) .. her skin was clean this past summer. I did research on soy milk and thyroid disorder, yes, there's a slight link, esp. with carrageenan added. So I e-mailed this teenager info., and her nutritionist switched this gal from Ensure (soy-based) to Kefir (fermented cow-milk). Fast forward today, this friend gets pimples on her face. I feel bad since the bad news about dairy didn't come out until this year. I google thoroughly when I switched my child from soy-milk to cow milk .. could not find a link between cow milk and acne until recently. But I learn something: always look at how many people are involved in any study. The thyroid & soy link are just a few personal testimonies, versus the below: " The famous Nurse's Health Study examining health habits of 47,000 nurses found that those who drank more milk as teenagers had much higher rates of severe acne than those who had little or no milk as teenagers. In other studies of over 10,000 boys and girls from 9 to 15 years old, there was a direct link between the amount of milk consumed and the severity of acne." Today I'm back to the diet that I was on when I was skinny: soy milk (new formula without carrageenan) & high fiber cereal ... I feel so much better & more energy. My kid loves her cereal & soy milk. She could NOT handle cow-milk either .. she's lactose-intolerant. I checked on soy milk again before I switch back: if the soy-protein is concentrated, like soy Isolate in faked meat, then it will screw up the thyroid. If the soy is concentrated and made on aluminum equipment, like tofu, then that will UP the risk of Alzheimer's. But soy milk in low dose with cereal, isn't bad ... at least it's freed of hormones, antibiotics, feces, and pus like in cow's milk. Soy milk is easier to digest, plus zero cholesterol. What I like the most is: it smells clean, NOT strong like cow-milk.
    ...See More

12/15/15: Wise quotes, roses or what gave you health & happiness?

Q

Comments (49)
    Sam: Agree with you that biochar is low-level oxygen and slow-burning. Here's an excerpt from below link: "Without sophisticated kilns and ovens to produce modern biochar, this ancient material was likely made by setting alight a pile of organic material before covering it with dirt to eliminate oxygen but hold in the heat from the fire which, in turn, baked the organic matter. http://www.azocleantech.com/article.aspx?ArticleId=183 The above link is worth clicking, it shows vigorous plants grown with biochar, versus without. The reason why biochar is better than wood-ash? It's like cooking food with a slow-cooker (crock-pot), versus burning food on a hot fire. Slow-cooking retains more nutrients, versus LESS nutrients with fast burning & lots of oxygen. When my neighbor burned wood in a open-fire-pit, the heat was so intense that it converted our heavy-black-clay into reddish clay. Nutrients in foods are destroyed at high temp, same with wood-ash: less nutrients than biochar.
    ...See More

Quotes 10 - 15 - 17

Q

Comments (4)
    P. G. Wodehouse, one of my favorite book characters was Jeeves. Also one of those books which is somewhere in back of a bookcase, need to look. Mario Puzo can hit home, painfully. Like his quotes. Barry McGuire is an unknown to me. His quotes are biographical, so don't mean much to me. Walter Jon Williams is an old member of my bookshelves. He stays and does not go out with the donate book pile, which only very slowly gets bigger.
    ...See More
  • jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Hi Carol, many thanks for liking my roses... :-) It's wonderful to be able to share them with kind rose-loving people

The steel wool I'm referring to is only made of steel... I don't think it adds any valuable nutrition or poisons, but it sure keeps those snails away ...easy to use, thins strips around plants, just make sure it's high enough so that there are't any over-hanging leaves/soil they can climb over... :-)

These you can stretch wider to wrap around your seedlings/pot plants around the side, even at the bottom of the pots.

they eventually rust and I think maybe that could have some nutrition?

Over here some nurseries sell snail pellets made with iron, which attracts the snails (maybe some extra ingredient added for that) and die. no harm done to birds or frogs. but very expensive. this works better in a way because they avoid this - copper strips can also be used but copper is extremely expensive here.

I found this interesting site with many snail-deterring ideas

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Slugs-Out-of-Your-Garden.html

I see sand paper can also be used and also found this interesting site:

http://backyardgrowers.com/how-to-get-rid-of-slugs-in-your-garden/

Belle Epoque not only has a heavenly fragrance, she is beautiful as well. First the bud is red and when she opens up the petals are old golden yellow.

I hope you can find her. If you were closer I would have loved to give you a cutting :-)

grows 1.5 meters/4.92 feet/shoulder height.

Now I'm dying for a peanut butter sandwich.... :-)

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I made Indonesian chicken today which uses a bunch of spices and PEANUT BUTTER!! Everyone loved it. Served it on rice.

I think the steel is a great idea!!! I also like the sand paper idea. Awesome!

I can't seem to get cuttings to root, so the cutting would just die. LOL :) But it sounds like a great rose! I looked it up on HMF, but there are a lot of Belle Epoque roses.

Carol

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)
    8 years ago

jessjennings0

Great roses. Particularly impressed with Belle Epoque. With such nice shade, strong fragrance and high disease resistance, it's high on my wish list now. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, your QE looks much darker pink than usually is. A great rose

regards

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Something else I've been dreaming about doing - hopefully I'll be able to do something like this before our winter starts next year

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/insect-habitats.html

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Now I'm really hungry...that food sounds so delicious Carol...

the only way (so far) that I managed to grow cuttings successfully, was by sticking them right into the soil (outside in the garden) as deep as possible, (in spring) and giving lots of water until they start growing...but next time I'm going to try Strawberry Hill's idea with the willow bark...

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

I found a really great site about the soil food web/micro organisms/mychorrizal fungi the other day. And as I was contemplating on installing (high cost) drip irrigation, this made me change my mind and instead stick to running around with my hose pipe...(which is probably a good thing for someone not taking regular walks :)

http://www.smilinggardener.com/soil-food-web/

What Hurts Them?

If we use toxic chemical fertilizers or pesticides, or withhold water from the landscape (such as by using drip irrigation), or do a lot of deep rototilling or other soil disturbance, many of these soil food web organisms probably won’t be around for very long.

Even if we do something seemingly benign, like use any of the horticultural soap products, we destroy many of them. We really, really want them to be around. Without them, our organic garden becomes a desert.

• User
    8 years ago

That is so good Jess. Thankyou so much for posting that. What it says is that some of the things called "Organic" like soap pesticides or copper fungicides can hurt life in the soil. It is better to mimic natural process.

All my roses are next to fruit and vegetables so I am chemical free.

https://youtu.be/3s73_elaNP8

Here is Elaine Ingham talking about the soil food web too, but Elaine Ingham didn't talk about the Unicorns.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3399740/question-for-the-rock-stars-about-gardening-all-stars

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sam, yes, I like Jess's link too, and here's an excerpt from her link on mycorrhyzal fungi: "They eat complex organic materials that most other living things can’t easily digest (such as lignin), and they harvest minerals from rocks that are virtually inaccessible to other organisms until released by the fungi (such as phosphorus). "

JESS: Thank you for posting pics. of steel-wool and the sand paper idea. We get lots of ladybugs here this month. I love the roses you posted: Alexander Girault (LOVE THAT DEEP COLOR), Belle Epoque is so exotic. Your blue roses look great: Blue Moon and Rhapsody in Blue. Also like your Amarula Profusions .. color is similar to Evelyn, but lots more blooms.

Thank you for that buckwheat-bread recipe .. will have to make that. Buckwheat is high in magnesium. I got buckwheat flour twice, and never used it, since I didn't have a recipe.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for this info Sam, I will definitely check it out :-)

I also grow veggies next to my roses, I like the idea of having a food forest :-)

And I enjoy having leaves on the ground, I can imagine the little life forms living underneath...

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

It's great reading your posts Strawberry Hill I missed that :-)

thanks so much for enjoying my roses and the info :-)

I just think I need advice with Graham Thomas and his BS....I keep taking the infected leaves of but even with gypsum and Sulfate of Potash they still return to haunt me. I saw something that might have been causing it though - a branch was cut of half-way through and folded over her and I didn't notice that till this morning when the branch started wilting...

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

I saw Belle Epoque was fully opened and quickly ran out to snap her :)

and the wind was down for a change so I took picture of some of the others that wouldn't stop dancing in the wind....

She is just so awesomely beautiful...sigh...Belle Epoque..and the fragrance...

A not so great picture of Clocolan - it has huge blooms and also smells heavenly - she is still in her bag, will be planted soon..(waiting for the Gypsum to arive to add to the hole)..the color isn't right it is much more orange in real life...

Ice Girl Panarosa opened now (5x 5 meters/16.4 feet x 16.4 feet hopefully soon)

Vanilla, one fully opened, it grows like crazy (hip height)

Andrea Stelzer - a BS diva but since your advice not one BS leaf on her, thanks again Strawberry Hill! This was my very first rose when I started gardening here. She grows about 3 meters high and has massive blooms, no fragrance unfortunately. But so beautiful.

The Prince - needs to be moved out of the hot sun but so bravely still flowering in this intense heat - today is much cooler thank goodness.

Tawny Profusion - the little 'ground cover' that had the little green worms

A real 'shocker' But covered with blooms...Isidingo....

strawchicago z5 thanked jessjennings0 zone 10b
  • jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

about the buckwheat bread recipe, something I forgot to mention...you can use any stew or spread whatever you prefer and just add that inside by rolling it up....like a wrap....

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Great looking roses Jess! :-)

Carol, slimy slugs do not like to cross anything sharp/rough that's probably why egg shells works for you...

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

something for all the coca cola lovers: (actually I think I'm an addict as well,because whenever someone offers me a glass of Coke I always ask for more and more...that's why I just never have it in my fridge...)

http://www.notquitenigella.com/2013/05/28/make-your-own-cola-drink/

So, the million dollar question, how does it taste? Well, it tastes cola like in the same way that cola chupa chups taste like cola but it isn't Coke. BUT it's even better I think. There are so many fantastic flavours in this that it just works so well together and I can imagine making this a gorgeous caramel that could even work with meats like pork belly or making a caramel for desserts. You can also substitute with sugar with whatever sugar substitute you might like. It's closer to Vanilla Coke that regular coke but mixing it with soda water and you've got the making of a fabulous drink.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/8-easy-healthy-alternatives-soda-recipes.html

the above site has many great articles, and I will try some of these recipes myself :-)

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

thanks so much Jim :-)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

THANK YOU, jess, for those beauties which I have never seen in our country. I love the colors of the last two: Tawny Profusion and Isidingo. That's the best color of the Prince ever !! I almost got the Prince, but my kid didn't like dark-color, so I changed to Scepter'd Isle (blah-pink). Now I love deep-colors. Such exotic beauties: Vanilla and Andrea Steizer ... that's my 1st time seeing such exotic roses like Ice girl and Clocolan. Really love your Belle Epoque. You have all the colors on the palette ... I really need more yellow and blue.

Rooting cuttings using willow-water: Folks chop willow branches into bits, soak them in water in FULL-SUN. The salicylic acid in the willow helps with rooting, and the hot sun helps to release the nutrients to water. I use that water to soak cuttings, and to water the rooting-medium. For potassium to calcium ratio: With less petals or cluster-blooming I use twice more potassium. With zillion-petals like Austin roses I use equal sulfate of potash to gypsum.

I read all the links you gave, JESS, thank you for that ice-tea idea. Will make a big pitcher to sub. for my juice habit. I have a pack of stevia which I'll use.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

I have a need to share this poem with you, originally written in Afrikaans, by one of my favorite Afrikaans authors/poets

The dance of the Rain

Oh the dance of our sister!

First, over the hilltop she peeps stealthily

and her eyes are shy;

and she laughs softly,

From afar she beckons with one hand;

Her bracelets shimmering and her bead-work sparkling;

softly she calls,

She tells the winds about the dance

and she invites them, because the yard is spacious

and the wedding is large

The big game rush out of the plain

they gather at the hilltop

their nostrils flared-up

and they swallow the wind

and they crouch to see her tracks in the sand

the small folk, deep under the soil

hear her feet dragging

and they creep closer and sing softly;

Our Sister! Our Sister! You have come! You have come"

And her beads shake.

and her copper rings shine in the disappearance of the sun

On her forehead is the plume of fire

she steps down from up high

she spreads her ashened cloak with both arms

the breath of the wind disappears

Oh, the dance of our Sister!

Eugène N. Marais

(author of The Soul of the Ape and The Soul of the Great White Ant)

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

thanks so much Strawberry Hill for liking my roses plus the great advice for Graham Thomas, I will definitely add 2 tspn gypsum and 2 tspn Sulfate of Potash for him. Also thanks so much for the willow bark recipe for rooting cuttings :-)

I noticed now that I've been taking photo's that I have winter-autumn colors for most of my roses.

The front fence has all the shocking pinks but the rest is white/orange-peach, and dark blue-purple...

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

Strawberry Hill...shouldn't I perhaps start thinking about replanting Evelyn...perhaps using the vertical hugel-idea mentioned here? Or how long should I wait - perhaps only when summer is cooling down? just before our winter in March? - that's another 5 months? - If she doesn't start showing improvement by then?

http://lowcostvegetablegarden.blogspot.co.za/search/label/Hugelkultur

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

ps - thanks so much for passing on this amazing site Sam!

8 years ago

Great poem Jess! Thanks for sharing...

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jess: I love the poem you share .. that reminds me of my Mom and my 8 older sisters. The guy who wrote "Rose Hugel"? His roses are grafted on Dr. Huey-rootstock, which likes it DRY and alkaline. Your roses are grafted on multiflora, which likes it WET and acidic. So Rose-Hugel won't apply to your roses.

The problem with Evelyn: it's a alkaline-loving rose, grafted on an INCOMPATIBLE rootstock. Lots of people complain that Evelyn is a Blackspot-fest as grafted. Evelyn is best own-root .. it roots super-easy. Before moving Evelyn, I would cut lots of cuttings and root them. Then you would have many healthy Evelyn-babies. Two Evelyn sprouted on me when I dumped soil on top for winter-protection.

For Evelyn new hole: I would aim for neutral to slightly alkaline pH. As the pH drops, less potassium and calcium are available .. and Evelyn need those 2 BIG TIME FOR HER HUGE BLOOMS WITH ZILLION PETALS.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

sigh ...of relief...I was contemplating replanting ALL my roses this way :-)))

thanks Strawberry Hill

Also for you and Jim for enjoying the poem.

I will definitely make cuttings of Evelyn...maybe I should do that as soon as possible...

now to get hold of weeping willow...maybe I should try my Bush willows...(still can't find any reference to the properties of their bark)

maybe I could just bend one of the long (almost bare) branches down and try sprouting them the way yours did with soil on top?????????????????????

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

nope...

Combretum erythrophyllum

Leaf extracts yielded 7 flavonoids with antibacterial properties: apigenin, kaempferol, rhamnocitrin, rhamnazin, quercetin-5,3’-dimethylether, genkwanin and 5-hydroxy-4’,7-dimethoxyflavone. Seven cycloartane triterpenes have been isolated from the leaves, with erythrophyllic acid being the representative compound. Several stilbenoids were isolated from the wood: combretastatin A-1, (-)-combretastatin, combretastatin A-1 2’-β-D-glucoside and combretastatin B-1 2’-β-D-glucoside.

A methanol extract of the wood showed inhibitory bioactivities in a yeast-based assay for DNA-damaging agents. An acetone extract of the leaves showed highly significant growth inhibition of Staphylococcus aureus. A leafy twig extract showed mutagenic activity against Salmonella typhimurium strains TA100 and TA102.

The stilbenes exhibited cytotoxic effects against cancer cell lines and inhibited the growth of a DNA-repair deficient strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. All flavonoids showed good activity against Vibrio cholerae and Enterococcus faecalis, with MIC values in the range of 25–50 μg/ml. Rhamnocitrin and quercetin-5,3’-dimethylether also inhibited Micrococcus luteus and Shigella sonei at 25 μg/ml. With the exception of 5-hydroxy-7,4’-dimethoxy-flavone the flavonoids were not toxic towards human lymphocytes. This compound was potentially toxic to human cells and exhibited the poorest antioxidant activity. Combretastatin A-1 phosphate has been evaluated as a prodrug causing rapid vascular shutdown within tumors. Combretastatin A-1 phosphate is more potent against a well-vascularised murine colon tumour than its predecessor, combretastatin A-4 phosphate, and may have potential for clinical development. Rhamnocitrin and rhamnazin exhibited strong antioxidant activity.

High anti-inflammatory activity was found in vitro in an ethyl acetate extract of the leaves. Genkwanin, rhamnocitrin, quercetin-5,3’-dimethylether and rhamnazin had a higher anti-inflammatory activity than the positive control mefenamic acid. A stem bark extract showed highly significant antiplasmodial activity with IC50 value of 1 μg/ml against a chloroquine-resistant Plasmodium falciparum strain. Different leaf extracts did not show any anthelmintic or antischistosomal activity in vitro. Ethanolic stem bark extracts exhibited inhibitory activity again prostaglandin-synthesis and showed relaxation of pre-contracted guinea pig uterus.

The wood has coarse and rather featureless grains. There is no real distinction between sapwood and heartwood. The wood is yellow, tough and moderately heavy (air-dry: 670 kg/m³).

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes, JESS, rooting by dumping soil on top (after nicking a branch slightly, and bend down) is much easier than from cuttings. For Evelyn to root, I dumped wet soil on top (mixed with willow-leaves). If you have roses in pots, stick some cuttings in pots, since you have to water the pots anyway.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a link to herbs that are high in salicylic acid for rooting roses:

http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fi27.htm

I notice that olive-leaves are elongated and slender like willow-tree, which is high in salicyic acid for rooting. From Wikipedia: "Unripe fruits and vegetables are natural sources of salicylic acid, particularly blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupes, dates, grapes, kiwi fruits, guavas, apricots, green pepper, olives, tomatoes, radish and chicory; also mushrooms.[

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The best link on herbs & plants with salicylic acid is livestrong.com:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/549787-herbs-that-contain-salicylates/

Ocimum and Securidaca

People in Africa burn dried ocimum forskolei plants to repel indoor mosquitoes.

Patchouli

Essential oils extracted from the microtoena patchouli plant release a pleasant fragrance used in incense.

Wintergreen

Manufacturers use wintergreen oil to enhance the flavor of candy and gum. Other plants from the gaultheria family promote healing, according to an October 2008 report in the "Annals of Pharmacotherapy." Oral doses of aspirin and topical application of wintergreen have comparable effects. Salicylates appear to mediate these changes in both cases. Aspirin contains acetylsalicylic acid and wintergreen has methyl salicylate.

Aspen

Native Americans used extracts taken from aspen tree bark to treat a wide variety of ailments, according to the 1979 book "Medicinal and Other Uses of North American Plants." The substances underlying these health effects have remained unknown for many years, but salicylates might contribute to them. A study in the August 2011 issue of the "Journal of Chemical Ecology" showed trembling aspen bark contains a broad range of salicylates, including salicin.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Straw - just like in your post above, I was thinking that maybe aspirin would do the same trick. Should I crush up some aspirins and water my nongrowing cuttings??

Jess - I love the ladybug/bee thing. I have a mason bee egg chamber thing that I bought, but nothing has used it. I think I have to move it. My husband just put it on a tree, and it sways. Someone told me it has to be secured against a wall or something.

Jess - I wish I would have tried just sticking them in the ground. These cuttings are for a friend who moved. They're very special roses to her. I really wish I can get them to grow. They aren't dead. But there's nothing happening. I pulled one out of its pot to check - no roots at all. :(

I found those soil links very interesting!! I've never done soil drip. I just water everything in my perennial garden.

I loved reading about Bob C. Here is his 10 min. talk about weeds. I'd never thought of weeds like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNzI55JL2aw

Gorgeous roses Jess!!!! Wowza!!

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

JESS: I keep this thread long since I enjoy your roses every time the thread is loaded up. We don't have such roses here, your South Africa roses are awesome !!

Thanks, Carol, for that video ... very interesting. Aspirin is a GREAT IDEA for rooting. Plants root better when it's acidic medium. Take my kid's science experiment. We soaked mung-bean-seeds in rain-water (pH 5.6), that sprouted easily. But when we soaked seeds in distilled water (pH 6.8), it took forever to sprout. And seeds CANNOT spout in my tap water pH of 8.6.

My rose-cuttings rooted very well in 3/4 sand and 1/4 potting soii, plus rain water plus ACIDIC GYPSUM AND SULFATE OF POTASH for best root growth. Last year when I put a tiny bit of NPK 2-7-4 (for phosphorus & potassium), plus gypsum in a medium ... that gave THICK roots, versus the ones without fertilizer gave hair-like super-thin strand.

Your mentioning about peanut-butter? I really miss that, and should come back to that for breakfast. I was eating peatnut-butter everyday when I was less than 100 lb. (9 years ago). Check out the below from Dr. Andrew Weil website: "

One, from Penn State, found that a diet high in monounsaturated fats (MUFAs) with 34-36 percent of calories from fat reduced LDL ("bad") cholesterol by 16-25 percent without lowering HDL ("good") cholesterol levels. In contrast, the American Heart Association's diet with 25 percent of calories from fat, resulted in only a 12 percent reduction.

The other, from Harvard University, found that people on a diet including 35 percent of calories from MUFAs as well as those on a traditional low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet lost an average of 11 pounds over six months. However, by 18 months, three times as many people on the MUFA diet remained with the program and kept off the lost weight while the others regained an average of five pounds each.

The Peanut Butter Diet permits women about 1,500 calories per day including 4 tablespoons of peanut butter daily and men 2,200 calories daily including 6 tablespoons of peanut butter. The diet also requires 45 minutes of exercise daily."

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA77115

• Khalid Waleed (zone 9b Isb)
    8 years ago

strawchicago wrote "Rooting cuttings using willow-water: Folks chop willow branches into bits, soak them in water in FULL-SUN. The salicylic acid in the willow helps with rooting, and the hot sun helps to release the nutrients to water."

Wonderful tip. I am going to try this soon.

jessjennings0: Beautiful roses. Unfortunately I also did not hear these names earlier but these are outstanding roses by any standard. Thanks for sharing such wonderful pics.

regards

• User
    8 years ago

I liked reading the poem Jess.

We are all getting ready for the winter winds.

I am glad you are here in to keep us involved.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Really??? More fats (peanut butter only - or meats too) helped people lose weight??? Get outta town!!

If it's only nuts, then I should eat more nuts.

I'm going to crush up some aspirins and add it to water.

Carol

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

thanks everyone for liking my roses :-)

There are a lot of yours that I would have LOVED growing that I can't find here...

and I'm glad you also enjoyed the poem Sam

Strawberry Hill thanks so very much for the info on which other plants contain Salicylic Acid... I have Olive trees, and a whole lot of the others as well :-)

Here we go! I'm going to prepare a good spot close to her for bending the branches down and covering them first with these and add soil on top...

and get some Aspirin as well just for good measure... :-)

something else I'll get when going to town is....

PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my mouth is drooling already....

:-))))

About Wintergreen aromatherapy oil... It is really cheap here (R37 - $2.77) and I use it in my bath when I have any back pain. It is works really well....

Carol, I read somewhere that the insect motel has to be well fastened, against your house perhaps, on the side where the least wind, sun and rain can reach it....

I am so glad to be here...being able to communicate with you all, you are such kind hearted lovely beings...it is such a privilege...thank you for that...

ps - I don't have any roses in pots... I have bad luck with all potted plants... Can't keep them happy at all....another reason to admire all the beautiful roses you grow so successfully in pots....

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Khalid: I'm glad you join us to admire Jess' blooms. You have a fantastic collection of roses in Pakistan ... thank you for sharing with us in the other posts.

Jess: I'm eating a peanut-butter sandwich now, it's an insurance against gallbladder stone. When one doesn't eat fat for breakfast, the gallbladder can't empty the bile, that collect and become stones. But if one eats fat for breakfast, then the bile is used to digest fat, rather than accumulate as stones.

My Mom has no-teeth but she's still alive at 90 years old, perfect weight at 115 lb. She has peanut-butter everyday for decades .. it's soft on her gum & helps to stabilize her blood sugar with diabetes.

People with very alkaline-tap-water like mine (pH near 9, with calcium-hydroxide added to tap) ... are prone to kidney-stone, unless their diet has citrus fruits to prevent the stones from forming. Instead of drinking juice, I should eat more citrus fruits (oranges and grapefruits).

Bluegirl from TX informed me of her soup-slop treatment of roses. It's putting kitchen scraps & greens & water in a bucket, and let it ferment & sour. It's like giving Kimchi to plants so the acidity helps to unlock the minerals in alkaline soil & plus lowering alkaline tap. Kimchi has beneficial bacteria, but soup-slop has both beneficial bacteria and fungi. Bluegirl said it's an explosion of blooms and basal breaks with "soup-slop" or "kimchi" for plants.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Jess, yeah, I've heard that too. Next year, I'll get my hubby to put it somewhere else. I wonder though if all the wasps I have will kill the bees?? I have a lot of wasps - they don't bother us, they just hunt for insects in the roses. They're cool to watch.

That's interesting to know about the peanut butter (aka fat).

I have a rare (we're the only ones in the world that they know of) kidney disease. I take allopurinol. Totally controls it. But my sister went off her allopurinal for a week and had complete renal failure. Once she told them she had been been on allopurinal, they gave it to her, and she recovered. They thought she was going to die. Caused me all sorts of problems (blood transfusions, kidney stones, etc.) when I was pregnant.

I like the idea of fermenting kitchen scraps.

Carol

• User
    8 years ago

Carol

So sorry to hear that about kidney disease.

Yes the wasps are cool to watch. I agree. They drink from the birdbath just like a bird.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

thanks so much for the great compliment on my roses Khalid....

Would love to see yours in Pakistan...

lots of great advice and info from Strawberry Hill and Bluegirl, will definitely try that soup-slop...

Really really craving peanut butter now....there's a shop in Grahamstown that sells peanut butter ice cream...hand made...I have to have peanut butter now....

89,6 F (32C) today. no rains, I'm running around with my hose pipe...

Carol, I don't think the wasps will fight with the bees, I've seen some around here fighting of strangers (other wasps) trying to take over nests but never any fighting with bees...and I have also seen dragon flies chasing those big mean-tempered wasps....I'm so sorry to hear about your (and your sister's) kidney disease....

I read in a book called 'Health Through God's Pharmacy' by Maria Treben that the dried Horsetail herb is great for kidney problems, also helps to take a sitz-bath in it...(soak 500 grams in water overnight. heat it up in a gallon or whatever is practical, water/big pot. pour into hot bath. sit for 20 minutes, heart- area still exposed - climb out and go to bed and stay very warm for at least one hour - once a week or whenever is practical)

not fresh from the plant though...that is harmful when fresh only...

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I STARTED A NEW THREAD to pray for Carol's eyes. It's entitled, "10/24/15: Feed rose & us toward health & lose weight & protect eyes." Click on link below to continue our discussion:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3460031/10-24-15-feed-rose-and-us-toward-health-and-lose-weight-and-protect-eyes

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Jess - thanks for the info on the bees/wasps. That answers my question nicely! :) And thanks for the info on kidneys. People on this forum are so knowledgeable.

Sam - That must be so cute to see the wasps drink from the bird bath. They truly are beautiful creatures. So intensely beautiful.

Carol

• User
    8 years ago

Yes they walk to the edge of the water like a kid on the beach.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I love the analogy! Can just picture it.

Carol

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

http://www.mariatrebenherbs.com/?pid=55&sid=65:HORSETAIL

Hi Carol

I just took a wild chance and found this amazing site, with all the details straight from her book....

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jess: I like that site, very interesting info. on horsetail herb. I had a peanut-butter toast yesterday and again for today for breakfast ... not hungry at all !! I feel full much longer afterwards with peanut-butter & toast, that beat eggs & toast for breakfast. I like both, but peanut-butter keeps me full longer.

• jessjennings0 zone 10b
    8 years ago

I can't wait to get that peanut butter coming Monday.... :-)))))

8 years ago

All this talk about peanut Butter I got my uncle to run me to store to find some PB ice-cream... No luck! :-( So I got the bright idea to put Jiff peanut butter in a bowl and I put it in microwave for 1 minute 10 seconds then I poured the melted peanut butter down over ice cream.... ohhhhhhhhhhhh!

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Man did I ever start something with the Indonesian Peanut Butter Chicken. :)

Too funny!

Here is my recipe in case anyone wants to try it:

INDONESIAN CHICKEN SATE WITH PEANUT SAUCE

2 whole chicken breasts (I usually triple the recipe)

1 clove garlic, crushed

1/2 tsp curry powder

1/2 tsp cumin powder

1/2 tsp chili powder

1 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsps soy sauce

4 tbsp chicken bouillon broth

Mix everything but the chicken breasts in a bowl. Use this as a marinade over the chicken. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

Remove the chicken from the marinade (reservind the marinade). Bake in oven 350F (I use clay pieces to cook my chicken on - really good results). If on clay, no need to turn.

PEANUT SAUCE (If you triple the recipe for the chicken/marinade, then triple the peanut sauce.

2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 shallots (I don't use this)

1 tbsp brown sugar

1/3 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter

2/3 cup water

3 tbsp whipping cream (I use 2% milk)

Pour the reserved marinade in a pan, add the peanut sauce ingredients and thicken.

Serve marinade over chicken and rice. I like to saute some nuts. It's good to put sauted peppers on top.

It's delicious. Tell me if you try it.

----------------------------

Jess, that was a good website.

Carol

strawchicago z5 thanked rosecanadian
  • strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    8 years ago

THANK YOU, Carol, for that fantastic recipe. I will make that, despite my kid being allergic to peanuts ... I'll use sunflower butter.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Sunflower butter. Never heard of that. :)

Yes, my older daughter doesn't like the peanut sauce. But all the spices on the chicken are delicious she says. So either way it's good! I leave the sauce in a bowl, and that way she can have it without the sauce.

Let me know how it goes.

Carol