Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 10 - 15 - 17

User
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

P. G. Wodehouse Quotes
English - Writer October 15, 1881 - February 14, 1975

To find a man's true character, play golf with him.
P. G. Wodehouse

Why don't you get a haircut? You look like a chrysanthemum.
P. G. Wodehouse

Golf... is the infallible test. The man who can go into a patch of rough alone, with the knowledge that only God is watching him, and play his ball where it lies, is the man who will serve you faithfully and well.
P. G. Wodehouse

Her pupils were at once her salvation and her despair. They gave her the means of supporting life, but they made life hardly worth supporting.
P. G. Wodehouse

The fascination of shooting as a sport depends almost wholly on whether you are at the right or wrong end of the gun.
P. G. Wodehouse

It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them.
P. G. Wodehouse

He was a tubby little chap who looked as if he had been poured into his clothes and had forgotten to say 'when!'
P. G. Wodehouse

Flowers are happy things.
P. G. Wodehouse

Sudden success in golf is like the sudden acquisition of wealth. It is apt to unsettle and deteriorate the character.
P. G. Wodehouse

She had a penetrating sort of laugh. Rather like a train going into a tunnel.
P. G. Wodehouse

I know I was writing stories when I was five. I don't know what I did before that. Just loafed I suppose.
P. G. Wodehouse

He was white and shaken, like a dry martini.
P. G. Wodehouse

I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.
P. G. Wodehouse

The least thing upset him on the links. He missed short putts because of the uproar of the butterflies in the adjoining meadows.
P. G. Wodehouse

Memories are like mulligatawny soup in a cheap restaurant. It is best not to stir them.
P. G. Wodehouse

There is only one cure for gray hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the guillotine.
P. G. Wodehouse

Few of them were to be trusted within reach of a trowel and a pile of bricks.
P. G. Wodehouse

I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit.
P. G. Wodehouse

Has anybody ever seen a dramatic critic in the daytime? Of course not. They come out after dark, up to no good.
P. G. Wodehouse

Every author really wants to have letters printed in the papers. Unable to make the grade, he drops down a rung of the ladder and writes novels.
P. G. Wodehouse

Success comes to a writer as a rule, so gradually that it is always something of a shock to him to look back and realize the heights to which he has climbed.
P. G. Wodehouse

Golf, like measles, should be caught young.
P. G. Wodehouse

It was my Uncle George who discovered that alcohol was a food well in advance of modern medical thought.
P. G. Wodehouse

Mario Puzo Quotes
American - Novelist October 15, 1921 - July 2, 1999

A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns.
Mario Puzo

Friendship and money: oil and water.
Mario Puzo

Even the strongest man needs friends.
Mario Puzo

He was a degenerate gambler. That is, a man who gambled simply to gamble and must lose. As a hero who goes to war must die. Show me a gambler and I'll show you a loser, show me a hero and I'll show you a corpse.
Mario Puzo

Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger.
Mario Puzo

Like many businessmen of genius he learned that free competition was wasteful, monopoly efficient. And so he simply set about achieving that efficient monopoly.
Mario Puzo

What we think of as our sensitivity is only the higher evolution of terror in a poor dumb beast. We suffer for nothing. Our own death wish is our only real tragedy.
Mario Puzo

Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment.
Mario Puzo

The only wealth in this world is children, more than all the money, power on earth.
Mario Puzo

I have always believed helping your fellow man is profitable in every sense, personally and bottom line.
Mario Puzo

I believe in America. America's made my fortune.
Mario Puzo

Barry McGuire Quotes
American - Musician Born: October 15, 1937

Marches alone won't bring integration when human respect is disintegratin'
Barry McGuire

And a friend of mine in the Christys, we used to sit up at night and talk and read and wonder if reincarnation, and if it wasn't reality, what would happen to the human spirit when the body dies? Is there an afterlife? Just questions like that.
Barry McGuire

And there was a real shedding of the old dogma, like boundaries of morality were being broken down and everybody was into the new party mode of just loving on each other. Which destroyed thousands of us. I lost 16 of my personal friends through that lifestyle.
Barry McGuire

But times changed, and I changed, and I didn't feel that way anymore. The Beatles were happening. I think that was probably the main thing. The Beatles just changed the whole world of music.
Barry McGuire

I did about a 100 concerts this year. All over the United States. We're cutting back next year to about 40. We generate money for an organization called Mercy Corps.
Barry McGuire

I know great songwriters. Fred Neil would come up when he was in L.A., we all used to hang out. He would sit there and sing, and we would just melt. I mean, we would go to his recording sessions.
Barry McGuire

I remember we woke up one morning at Denny's house and John Phillips called. He said, you guys okay? We said, yeah, what's wrong, what's going on? He said, well, everybody's dead over at Sharon's house at Terry Melcher's place.
Barry McGuire

I was very laced with drugs myself, but Fred seemed to be even more so than me. That might have had something to do with it. That might have had something to do with nobody wanting to play my records, too, I don't know.
Barry McGuire

If you listen to the left track on their album, if you get The Best of the Mamas and Papas, you listen to the left track, you can still hear a little bit of my voice. My son discovered that once.
Barry McGuire

It was really fun. Well, Bobby was just basically a folk singer. He didn't play with any bands or anything, like all the rest of us. Just played his guitar and sang his songs.
Barry McGuire

My buddies worked with me for weeks, and I went up to take my test, and started crying because I couldn't remember the words. I can remember songs. If you put it to a melody, I would have sung it to 'em in a minute.
Barry McGuire

So gradually, and then I had an Italian roadster that I built, it took me five years to build it, it was stolen from me and stripped. I said, well maybe we should have another where we shouldn't steal from each other.
Barry McGuire

That's why I had to leave Hair on Broadway, because I did it for about a year, and one night I was doing the show, and I realized, well, this is not real. I told the director. He says, man, it was a killer show tonight.
Barry McGuire

The big turning point, really, was the Beatles' influence on American folk music, and then Roger took it to the next step, and then along came the Lovin' Spoonful and everybody else.
Barry McGuire

There was a report that used to come out back in those days, I don't know if it was the Gavin Report or something like that. And they said, no matter what McGuire comes out with next, we're not gonna play it.
Barry McGuire

There's only one drummer. We all travel to his beat. Well, I couldn't sing his song. Because for me, it wasn't a truthful statement. Well, Linda sang it, and it was a monster for her.
Barry McGuire

To have a songwriter that wrote so specifically what I felt to be true... I've never been much of an actor either. If something is real for me, then I can do it.
Barry McGuire

When I wrote 'Green, Green,' it was like a really a statement of where I was at philosophically in my life.
Barry McGuire

You know, the music business is like the Lotto. Just put your numbers down and sometimes they hit, and sometimes they don't. There's just no rhyme or reason.
Barry McGuire

Hate your next-door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace.
Barry McGuire

Ah, you may leave here, for four days in space, but when you return, it's the same old place.
Barry McGuire

Peter C. Doherty Quotes
Australian - Scientist Born: October 15, 1940

I share Alfred Nobel's conviction that war is the greatest of all human disasters. Infectious disease runs a good second.
Peter C. Doherty

The thing I love about science is finding out something new and different.
Peter C. Doherty

This year, 1996, has been designated the 'Year of the Vaccine,' commemorating the 200th anniversary of Edward Jenner's vaccination of James Phipps with cowpox virus and subsequent challenge with smallpox virus. Insight into the nature of viruses, and how viruses interact with mammalian cells, has evolved since the turn of the century.
Peter C. Doherty

The two things that I miss most when living out of Australia are the bush and the Pacific coast, especially fishing in the surf at night!
Peter C. Doherty

My characteristics as a scientist stem from a non-conformist upbringing, a sense of being something of an outsider, and looking for different perceptions in everything from novels, to art to experimental results. I like complexity and am delighted by the unexpected. Ideas interest me.
Peter C. Doherty

There are too few people working in the area of viral pathogenesis and immunity, too little funding, too many problems, and too little time.
Peter C. Doherty

Many key concepts concerning the nature of immunity have originated from the very practical need to control virus infections.
Peter C. Doherty

The need to deal with pathogens has driven the evolution of the vertebrate immune system, so it should not be surprising that experiments with infectious agents have often illuminated key elements of the underlying mechanisms.
Peter C. Doherty

My mother was a very talented pianist, and she was a music teacher who hated to teach music, actually, but she loved to play, so I was brought up with Chopin, Debussy and Mozart.
Peter C. Doherty Fanny Howe Quotes

American - Poet Born: October 15, 1940

In poetry, I have, since very young, loved poetry in translation. The Chinese, the French, the Russians, Italians, Indians and early Celts: the formality of the translator's voice, their measured breath and anxiety moves me as it lingers over the original.
Fanny Howe

My novels are about a generation of Americans who lived between 1940 and 2000, who resisted the postwar political and cultural forces by choosing a wandering life of impoverishment and wonder. Inevitably, race and economics are a big part of their stories. Childhood, childishness, and children are never far.
Fanny Howe

I grew up reading 19th-century novels and late Victorian children's books, so I try for a good story full of coincidence and error, landscape and weather. However, the world was radically changed during my lifetime, and I tell of that battering as best I can.
Fanny Howe

I was a go-go dancer at the Dom on East 10th Street in NYC. This was a glittering ballroom over Stanley's Bar. 1965.
Fanny Howe

If someone is alone reading my poems, I hope it would be like reading someone's notebook. A record. Of a place, beauty, difficulty. A familiar daily struggle.
Fanny Howe

Walter Jon Williams Quotes
American - Writer Born: October 15, 1953

I'm not afraid of werewolves or vampires or haunted hotels, I'm afraid of what real human beings to do other real human beings.
Walter Jon Williams

Now I have to motivate myself much more than I had previously.
Walter Jon Williams

The Internet offers an interesting combination of advertising and community by participating in the community you can become an advertisement for yourself.
Walter Jon Williams

Science fiction readers probably have the gene for novelty, and seem to enjoy a cascade of invention as much as a writer enjoys providing one.
Walter Jon Williams

Genre labels are useful only insofar as they help you find an audience.
Walter Jon Williams

If you can find collaborators whose strengths compliment your own, the result can be more than the sum of its authors.
Walter Jon Williams

I was pretty much grown-up by the time I attended school in Britain - or as grown-up as I'll ever get.
Walter Jon Williams

An SF author who reads only SF will have little new to contribute, but someone with a broader experience will bring more to the table.
Walter Jon Williams

I wanted to be an author for as long as I can remember.
Walter Jon Williams

Being a writer was never a choice, it was an irresistible compulsion.
Walter Jon Williams

I now have to find a reason to write, every single day.
Walter Jon Williams

For every SF reader of that period, Robert A. Heinlein was also a touchstone.
Walter Jon Williams

I went to college, though I didn't take many writing courses.
Walter Jon Williams

I found college useful for a lot of other reasons. It exposed me to a great many influences I wouldn't otherwise have encountered, and gave me a lot of time with some very intelligent people whose thoughts are still with me.
Walter Jon Williams

When state and religion are one, religion becomes a means for the powerful to remain in power.
Walter Jon Williams

How long it takes to write a book depends on its length.
Walter Jon Williams

The Rift, which was well over a thousand pages of manuscript, took two years.
Walter Jon Williams

I've experienced writer's block, but never for more than a few days.
Walter Jon Williams

I've learned that I get blocked when my subconscious mind is telling me that I've taken the work in a wrong direction, and that once I start listening to what my subconscious is trying to tell me, I can work out the problem and get moving again.
Walter Jon Williams

It's a tough job to tell a story when the audience already knows the ending, and the ending is bleak.
Walter Jon Williams

I can't speak for the other authors, but what I hoped to achieve was to illuminate certain corners of the Lucas universe that hadn't yet been explored.
Walter Jon Williams

Even if you only want to write science fiction, you should also read mysteries, poetry, mainstream literature, history, biography, philosophy, and science.
Walter Jon Williams

Everything that you read is an influence on everything you write, and you want to draw as many elements into your work as you can.
Walter Jon Williams

Try to meet as many authors, agents, and editors as you can.
Walter Jon Williams

I'm in favor of any technology that makes my work available to the reading public at a reasonable price.
Walter Jon Williams

The mass-market paperback, for one, is too expensive.
Walter Jon Williams

I want a platform that, like a book or a magazine, I can carry into the bath or leave at the beach.
Walter Jon Williams

That's why editors and publishers will never be obsolete: a reader wants someone with taste and authority to point them in the direction of the good stuff, and to keep the awful stuff away from their door.
Walter Jon Williams

It's hard to generalize, because they're all different. When I started, I decided to take as much advantage as I could of the freedom offered by the SF field.
Walter Jon Williams

The big battle at the end of DW isn't drawn from history, but it's influenced by history, certainly.
Walter Jon Williams

Working within the limitations of the shared world generally made the writing easier, because I didn't have to invent any of the characters or background, which is usually the hardest part.
Walter Jon Williams

Some of my ideas were shot down by Lucasfilm because they stepped on territory that has been reserved for the movies. I didn't have a problem with that.
Walter Jon Williams

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions