SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

Odd colored roses

oursteelers 8B PNW
3 months ago

Today is for the outside of the box blooms. Tomorrow will be stripes and then we’ll be done!

Acropolis-sometimes this blooms the most gorgeous antique shades and sometimes it’s very garish and meh

Koko Loko

Comments (64)

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Elena, so many different shades! That would be so hard for me to find placement. I get twitchy when my pinks and peaches change it up😂

• Pumpkin (zone 10A)
    3 months ago

I love Distant Drums, it’s incredibly pretty!

• Related Discussions

odd rose color question

Q

Comments (3)
    And what has happened in your garden happens all over North America, every spring. The rootstock (the red roses you are seeing) is Dr. Huey, a once blooming climber that makes a good rootstock for propagating big roses in the playa lake beds of California. Often it outlives and / or overpowers the scion, the more desirable rose that was grafted onto it. To save your pink rose, you MUST pull off all the canes supporting the red petaled roses, all the way down to the bud union and below. Or you can let Dr. Huey take over and your yard will have the rose that many, many other people grow. But if only Dr. Huey had repeat bloom and fragrance and some resistance to Black Spot. (Hint, if you're going to plant a rose, there are good repeat bloomers out there.)
    ...See More

Odd things in the Fridge, and Orange Roses with Yellow Reverse

Q

Comments (15)
    Is that ketchup&mustard? I don't like the name at all. It's nota rose I grow called half time ( not a favorite name either ) 1/2 time is more thorny than this is but every bit as beautiful. Vintage has a virus free version listed. I put pictures of my 1/2 time up in the rose gallery recently around thanksgiving. Not the best bloomer, but the blooms I get are wonderful.
    ...See More

A black rose ...

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Pam! The blackest flower I ever saw were some pansies my neighbor grew. Now they were black, with just the slightest hint of burgandy if the light was right.
    ...See More

My roses this year against all odds (photos)

Q

Comments (23)
    Vesfl, it gave me great joy to see your post both because your OGRs have proven their resilience and because you have been able to power through the Houzz changes and attach all these gorgeous photos! I so enjoy reading about your garden, your adventures, the various ideas that catch your attention, etc. I am very happy you are still posting on this site! Your OGRs are beautiful this spring, and they look right at home next to your charming garden ornaments and structures. Like Chris NY, you have an eye for integrating the architectural with the botanical. Your armillary and tuteur might have been collected from the beds at Monticello. You and I grow some similar cultivars. Your color scheme is heavenly! I am going to wave your photos in front of my pink and white damasks and my Munstead to encourage them. Carol
    ...See More
  • Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Oh you guys are in for trouble now. This is my very favorite color "class." Some of these may not seem to be very oddball in color, but I tend to put them in that class just because they are kind of different.

ACROPOLIS - This one can often turn green, but didn't do it much for me last yr...

ANN HENDERSON - She can get a kind of dusty color that I think makes her belong here....

ASCHERMITTWOCH aka ASH WEDNESDAY

ASTRAL - A florist rose I rooted last yr... Color is usually a mauvey-beige.

BLUE GIRL - The Sauvageot one...

BRUT

CAPPUCCINO

CYMBALINE

DISTANT DRUMS

DISTANT THUNDER

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

DOUBLE FEATURE - I put this one in this category because of the mauve with yellow reverse. Very unusual coloring...

DUSTY ROSE - A mini rose that can be beige, apricot, mauve, peach, tan...

EVENTAIL D'OR - A Japanese rose that is a really trippy one. Beige, brown, cream and even greenish undertones...

GREEN ROMANTICA

HONEY DIJON

IRISH CREME

JADE - A florist rose that gets greenish tones

KOKO LOCO

MINT JULEP

PAM'S CHOICE

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Very pretty pictures, all! Ash Wednesday, which I refer to as Ashmitterwoch, seems to have decent vigor here ( zone 7a , NC), and is not worse for bs than many. Some blooms are white, some have the beautiful shades .

Sheila McQueen..this one had good health and vigor

See the green on the outer petals

Whole thing faded to green

Edith Schurr some green at the base

Iris Webb..mauve and orange. Mine was a weak plant.

Koko Loco I love it, but it's not a strong grower. Does repeat pretty well.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Ooh, Ann Henderson and Dusty Rose look very intriguing!

Edith Schurr is quite pretty also

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

MARION ROSS

MONTY'S JOY - A mini that can be peach, mauve, grey...

QUICKSAND

RAINFOREST

REBACCA SUSAN

SAHARA

SHEILA MACQUEEN

SILVER CLOUD

SILVER LININGS

STEPHEN RULO

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Silver Cloud is the winner out of that last bunch!

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

SUNTAN BEAUTY - One of my favorite minis..

SYMBOL

TEDDY BEAR mini

TERRACOTTA

TROPICAL LIGHTNING

TWILIGHT TRAIL mini

VIOLET - This one is a real oddball. It's a florist rose I rooted 3yrs ago. It's supposed to be chartreuse green with a violet-mauve reverse, but so far it's been mostly different tones of apricot, beige, pink, mauve...

VIRIDIFLORA aka GREEN ROSE - The oddest of the odd!

HOT CHOCOLATE

HOT COCOA

I have more, but some didn't bloom last yr, or I didn't get pics. I have a lot of new oddball colored roses from Etsy that will bloom in the spring. Can't wait!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Violet was my favorite of those last ones

• User
    3 months ago

My nickname for Twilight Trail was ”Toilet Trail”!

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Really Paul? I think TWILIGHT TRAIL is gorgeous!!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 months ago

Me too, Beth.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Roses and hydrangeas are so good together!

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Now I know where to move Blue Girl! She will share the space with Distant Drums and coming Koko Loko!

• Ashley Smith zone 5a
    3 months ago

So for some reason I can't edit my post.. those are pics of honey Dijon.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Nothing unusual here. I wish I'd taken pics of some of the ones I had over the years that I lost, like Lavender Pinocchio, Blue Bayou, Black Tea, Julia's Rose, Smoky, and Silver Shadows (off the top of my head). I did just re-buy Julia's Rose last year :-D

Stephen Rulo

Koko Loco

Hot Cocoa

Honey Dijon

Distant Drums

• User
    3 months ago

Beth, I say that not to disparage the rose, but to follow in the tradition of Sam McGredy who famously referred to the color of 'Grey Pearl' in this manner: "the colour is a cross between slightly used toilet paper and the skin of a dead mouse." Suffice it to say, Sam was not a fan of that color.

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Well, I happen to also love the color of GREY PEARL. I guess I'm a weirdo. I prefer the unusual, odd, weird. Lost GP in the Camp Fire, and got a new one a couple yrs ago. It died in the triple digits. Just got a replacement again via John Bagnasco and Steve Singer. Waiting to snip the rootstock off when it warms up. This time I will keep it in a better spot, and watch it like a hawk. Can't wait for those GREY blooms!!

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Oursteelers - oh wow!!! I'm in awe of your Ash Wednesday!!! I can see why you love it so much!! I also really love your Cymbeline!!

Elena - ooooh!!! I love your pics of DD!! Those colors!!

Beth - I love your Acropolis, Cappuccino and Brut!!!! Oooh...and also your Pam's Choice, Honey Dijon and Irish Cream!!! My goodness...you do have a lot in this category....your Stephen Rulo, Vioet and Suntan Beauty are wonderful!!!

Erasmus - oh my!! I love your Koko Loco and Sheila McQueen (what a range of colors...so unique!!)

Susan - mmmmm...wonderful...my faves are Distant Drums, Koko Loco (I wish that one had fragrance) and Stephen Rulo!!

Paul - oh, he has a way with words. :)

Anne Marie...it has many different looks. Sometimes goes to coral.

• roseseek
    3 months ago

Grey Pearl, the one which started it all.

• User
    3 months ago

'Black Tea' - nearly impossible to capture it's "cinnamon putty" hues correctly.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Paul that’s a very interesting shade. Is it fragrant?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 months ago

I dont have many odd colors, they arent my fav but here are 2 that barely fit the catagory

Hot Cocoa

Memphis Music, stripe or odd ?

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Paul, amazing rose and picture!

I immediately wanted a lip stick of this color...:)

PS. Closest I can get so far!

• User
    3 months ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW 'Black Tea' has some fragrance, but it's modest and not at all "sweet & powerful" like 'Tiffany' or other noteworthy HT's. It's more along the lines of "phenolic Tea diluted with a generic plant smell". You can say that it's fragrant, but just barely qualifies.

• roseseek
    3 months ago

I'd kept seeing Black Tea in Combined Rose List only sold in its home country of Japan for too many years. After The San Jose Heritage put together their on line rose list, I found it listed there. Don and Paula Ballin were avid exhibitors in the Chicago area. Black Tea was famous in Japan as an exhibition rose and "somehow" they obtained it from Japan to exhibit it. The story I heard was Paula HATED it so they passed it on to Mel Hulse, the Volunteer Coordinator for The Heritage. I obtained Mel's permission for a volunteer friend there to send cuttings to Carolyn at Sequoia Nursery who rooted it and became not only the first but for a while, the exclusive US source for Black Tea.

• User
    3 months ago

And I originally got mine from Carolyn (at Sequoia), but that died in the 2015 Deep Freeze. My current plant came from Burling in 2022. I missed having it - it's so unique in color. "Putty and Cinnamon" describes it perfectly.

FYI it's quite good on its own roots.

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

Have seen Black Tea at Burling's. Here's my Distant Drums..I like it for the bee.

Champagne Coctail

Mutabilis...odd colored in that it has more than one color at a time

Cl. Butterscotch... unfortunately I haven't captured the parchment tones it can have but this is sorta kinda like it:

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Oh, Paul...your Black Tea is luscious!

Kristine - Memphis Music is both odd and striped IMO. Yours really flowers a lot!

Elena - wow! That's a pretty shade and it seems an exact match. :)

Erasmus - ooooh...I love your Mutabilis!!! Sometimes it doesn't seem to take really great pics...but yours is beautiful!!

• mojavemaria
    3 months ago

My favorite color group! Heres some of Jocelyn’s looks.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

I got my Black Tea from Paul in 2004, and it did really well, but I lost it a few years ago. It's great to hear that Burling carries it! I also got Jocelyn and Julia's Rose from Paul in 2004 :-D

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Love those GREY PEARLs Kim!! Can't wait for mine to pop out.

Paul, that's the most gorgeous photo I think I've ever seen of BLACK TEA. Mine rarely looks even close to that. I can dream...

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Has anybody gotten SPICED COFFEE from Heirloom? I lost my gorgeous plant in the Camp Fire. I've bought it twice from Heirloom, plus a friend sent budwood of hers to Steve Singer a couple seasons ago. They all are the same, but are definitely NOT the same as the SPICED COFFEE I had that I originally got from Hortico way back when. It never ever gets the beigey, greyish, mauve tones that my old one did. This one is always different tones of yellows, apricot, pink and even red.

This is my old one:

Heirloom swears theirs IS indeed SPCED COFFEE, but I just don't see how. I don't understand how they look so different, and why I never get these colors on them.

• Formerly RBEHS Z10A/S17
    3 months ago

Here are a few moods of Pam's Choice:

Does La Jolla count as oddly colored? I didn't know where to put it.

On a related note, here is Contrast:

• roseseek
    3 months ago

Beth, have you checked with Dianne Wiley to see how what yours looks like compares to what hers looks like? If hers resembles your original one, you should get cuttings from her this spring.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Mojave - I especially love the last picture...the texture and the color are amazing!

Beth - those are beautiful pictures of Spiced Coffee (I love that name)...I hope you can find the real SC. Roseseek's idea to get a cutting is a good one.

Roseseek - oh my!!!! I love your Pam's Choice and Contrast!!!

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Thanks to Paul for reminding me about my lost Black Tea, and to mojavemaria for reminding me about my lost Jocelyn, I now have both coming to me from Burling in 1 gallon pots. Can't beat $24.75 each for a gallon :-D

• Beth Hana
    3 months ago

Haha! Kim the budwood that went to Steve was from Dianne. She says hers has bloomed like my old one, but for me it bloomed just like the Heirloom ones. I guess there must be something in the well water here that makes it change color.

• roseseek
    3 months ago

The water, soil or heat/sun levels. I dunno.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 months ago

Wow! Jocelyn & Black Tea are to die for!!

Jackie, I love your mystery rose! I've got to find something like that! So romantic ♡♡ I hope you get an ID

Little Grey Pearl

Distant Drums

DD aged in a vase..literally smelled like coffee!

• rosaceae
    3 months ago

This is Brown Sugar. It's a mini that is more often sold as a florist rose. Wonderful garden plant though. Haven't had significant sickness and the rusty colour is surprisingly consistent across wide variations of weather, especially compared to many other russets. No scent. Vigorous, Low in thorns. Reliable, sturdy. 10/10, surprised it's not widely sold as a garden plant.

This is my sad little excuse of a Hot Cocoa, this was a couple months ago, minuscule bloom compared to what it should be and riddled with whitefly and aphids :s

It's down to one cane...

It's been a couple years since I had Estelle. Sometimes I'm tempted to get it again, but it's such a terrible plant. It can make beautiful blooms, when it wants to. Color is inconsistent, more often than not it was actually a neon orange that I found appalling. Healthy, but extremely low in vigor and insanely thorny. if you think Hot Cocoa was thorny you don't know the half of it!

I want to include this unIDed one here, partly because I think a lavender with a creamy lighter reverse is rare-ish, but also because I would like to see if someone could identify it lol! I've tinkered with HMF and just can't seem to find a match. It almost always sends flowers in 3s, opens ruffly as you can see, and is deliciously fragrant, ala Angel Face a bit.

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 months ago

@beth - how do you like Burling’s Marion Ross? I loved her in HAPPY DAYS! :-)

3 months ago

Distant Drums is one of my all time favorite roses:

3 months ago

Koko Loco is gorgeous, but didn’t do much last summer & fall (bouquet from Grace Rose Farms for birthday last year):

3 months ago

And the impressionist

• philipatx
    3 months ago

I usually bite my tongue when people gush over dirty linen colored blossoms, but Sam McGredy and are on the same page. I just can't warm up to those brown or grey blooms on a rose beyond observing "Well, that's different". I mean, I didn't survive winter just to await blossoms in an ugly shade of necroses.

• Beth Hana
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Deborah, my MARION ROSS is still pretty small. She hasn't bloomed a lot yet. In fact, she almost died in our triple digit summer heat last yr. But, thankfully she made it. I'm hoping for some good blooms this yr!

Sultry, I love your LITTLE GREY PEARL. I was one of the first people to even notice that one on RVR. I loved it so much, but it did not survive the Camp Fire. RVR has not had it in stock again since the fire.

• rosecanadian
    2 months ago

Sultry - a coffee-colored rose that smells like coffee...incredible!!

Rosacea - I love your Brown Sugar...such a wonderful color!! Sorry, I have no idea what the unknown rose is.

Deborah - I looove the colors of Koko Loco. If only it had fragrance!!!! Your The Impressionist rose is scrumptious!!