SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vesfl

My roses this year against all odds (photos)

vesfl (zone 5b/6a, Western NY)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

These roses went through some major challenges this year and I am stunned that they survived, let alone bloom. First bunnies had a major feast on most of them this January and then we had the never-ending winter with returning frosts almost through early May. So I thought to share some of their photos as they are blooming right now. They bring a smile to my garden and a belief in happy returns, which I wish to you all.

Madame Hardy was reduced to a single cane, about 2 inches tall, when the neighborhood rabbits ate her. I thought she was gone. Lo' and behold, there are several blooms and buds by now.

Mme Isaac Pereire made the best of a single cane that was spared.

Ispahan also miraculously came back and it was just its first year!

Mary Rose went nuts. As if saying, finally summer!

And I already posted my Reine des Violettes on another thread about Hybrid Perpetuals, but still want to share her here as another survivor. Her problem was that I got her last summer almost as a band (much smaller and younger than what this nursery usually mails) and the nursery even offered me a replacement for she was unlikely to make it through winter in my zone. Well, I thought to wait first and she made it!

And I never stop marveling at this deep purple color of Munstead Wood.

Comments (23)