SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

The myth of contagious blackspot strains versus bacteria and virus

strawchicago z5
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I start this thread to save rose nurseries the headache of people buying roses that come down blackspots or mildew, then demand money back, or suing the nursery for infecting their garden with a particular BS strain or mildew.

I ordered from High Country Roses. Fantastic nursery, very honest & wonderful customer service, highly recommend. They wrapped their roses damp newspaper to keep moist. But the shipping took many days, by the time I got it, Lilian Austin had blackspots all over. I planted in my soil, and zero blackspots for the next 3 years. BUT if someone believe in the myth of contagious blackspots strains, they could had demanded money back from High Country Roses, or suing the nursery for infecting their garden with mildew or BS.

Just think, if someone want to create a disease-resistant rose, does that person have to travel to every city across the nation to test for every single blackspots strains? That includes the many cities in vast Texas, plus Hawaii and Alaska. That doesn't make sense! Blackspots is a fungus, and it mutates constantly, there's NO fixed strain of blackspots, since they are always mutating. Plus you don't infect your shower curtain with mold by another shower curtain. Mold or fungus grows with the right condition: shade, dampness, neutral to acidic pH, or lack of anti-fungal nutrients in soil.

Below is Golden Celebration, clean for 3 years with horse manure, until I moved it to a poor-drainage spot, it broke out in blackspot. So I dug it up to fix the drainage, still grew new leaves with BS. Last month I raise the pH by dumping alkaline top soil, plus watered with sulfate of potash (for potassium). It grew 100% clean leaves. Pic. taken this Oct:

Comments (17)