SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mvs21

Need help with an overgrown weed filled "lawn"

mvs21
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello All: I have been reading lots of the incredibly helpful discussions in this forum, but was hoping to ask a few questions that I could not find the answers to in other people's lawn situations/dilemmas. I bought a small house in Sharon CT (zip 06069) a few months ago that has required a very big renovation including a new septic system (which required digging up the old metal tank and burying a new larger concrete tank in the front yard). I have so far been very focused on indoor projects, but now am thinking I should address the outside yard disaster before fall gets too far ahead of me, in case there are things I should be doing now for the future. I would not even call it a lawn at this point -- it really is as bad as you would see at an abandoned house...

The front yard is a mess -- almost entirely weeds of varying heights and types. I don't really think there is any actual grass in there. I've posted a picture of the yard. It is on a bit of a slope and faces south, so gets a lot of sun. I don't know how big it actually is, but I can try to measure it.

My questions are:

1) do I have to mow the weeds before applying the Round-Up? Some of the stuff is at least a foot high. I assume my only choice is to kill everything that is there and start fresh, but not sure if it helps to cut it short first.

2) how long do I have to wait after applying the Round-Up before I can try to plant grass seed, and will it be too late (ie cold) up here to even try? If it is too late, is there any point to even doing the Round-Up now, or should I just let winter kill it? I'm just worried that the winter won't kill everything and then I'll be behind when trying to tackle this in the spring.

3) I am not actually living at the house yet (no kitchen among other things!), so can I rely on sprinklers set on timers to do the frequent watering that is involved in the beginning when the seed has just been planted?

I'm know there are so many things I don't know, but I will continue to read all the other discussions to try and learn from everyone's vast experience. But any advice to get me started would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks! Marie

Comments (11)