SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_johnston27

Dealing with an overgrown, pine needle filled lawn

James Johnston
7 years ago

Hi all,

My wife and I bought our house a few years ago. The front yard had been neglected by the previous owners and we're just now at a point financially where we can take care of it.

It's not large, but it's severely overgrown. There are three large Doug Fir trees that will need to be taken down and ground (by a professional), as well as a huge assortment of vines, bushes, grasses, smaller trees, etc.

We called out a couple landscaping companies for estimates but were surprised when they came back with $4000+ bids to clear it out - not even counting the big trees.

So I've decided to do as much of the work myself as I can. Digging out the bushes and such is easy enough. But what I can't figure out is how to deal with the thick layer of vines, ground cover, and pine needles that are covering everything. You can hopefully see what I'm talking about in the pictures - it's like there's a few inches of "crud" on top of the soil that I don't know how to get rid of - at least not without heavy machinery. My first instinct would just be to till it all under, but I feel like all the vines etc would just come back.

The end state is simply a grass yard - I'd like to put in a few maple trees and do a little other work, but for now grass is fine.

We live in the greater Seattle area, if that matters.

If anyone could offer any advice on how they'd do things, I'd appreciate it.

James' ideas · More Info

James' ideas · More Info

James' ideas · More Info

James' ideas · More Info

James' ideas · More Info

Comments (10)