SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suzy0005

Lawn Overgrown by Weeds-Lawn dead-what should I do?

suzy0005
11 years ago

I live in West Tennessee and things here have been unseasonably hot. A combination of the heat and no watering has left my lawn brown. It really appears to be dead over the majority of the lawn. The lawn is almost completely overrun by weeds anyway. We have not taken care of the yard since we bought it 8 years ago aside from my father-in-law coming over once in awhile to put down a pre-emergent. I'm now very concerned about chemicals and I only want to use organic methods, especially with my children around.

My lawn appears to have black medic overrunning it (among other weeds)(but the black medic even seems to being dying in those brown areas of the lawn). It was supposed to be bermuda. We have full sun on it. There is a tree in the neighbor's yard that does give some shade to part of the yard.

My father-in-law tilled and put down some grass seed (bermuda) for us last year when we were out of town for a month and a half and the lawn died. I thought I did a pretty good job of keeping that bermuda watered. But that area is part of the dead zone now.

Can anyone recommend what I should do? I'd like to do it all ourselves because I don't want to spend the money to hire a lawn service and I don't want to use all the chemicals I know they would recommend.

It's pretty embarrassing because we live in a neighborhood where everyone takes pretty good care of their yard (they usually hire a lawn service).

Comments (9)

Sponsored