SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mongeyweiss

need advice re Lacanche Cluny

mongey
8 years ago

Hi all. About 10 years ago, we remodeled the kitchen of our 1883 San Francisco victorian. I wanted a vintage look, and ultimately selected the Lacanche Cluny. For the most part, i have been happy with the choice -- it works fine and looks beutiful. But i have encountered a good number of reliability issues -- mostly the electronic ignition to the gas burners (especially the bottom right 15500 BTU burner and also the broiler on the electric oven. We have probably had nearly a dozen service visits in our 10 years with this range.

Now i am about to restore an 1884 Victorian in a rural area that is way up the California coast. Again i want a vintage look that will look age-appropriate. It will have to be propane powered or dual fuel with propane and electric. But now the reliability issue is even more important to me, because getting service visits in the middle of nowhere will be difficult.

So i have 3 questions:

1. How many Lacanche owners have had reliability problems like i have experienced? Did i just buy a lemon or is there some kind of persistent problem with the brand?

2. For those of you who have bought an Ilve (Majestic or otherwise) or a Cornufe 90, 108 or Albertine, what has been your experience with reliability? Are you happy with your choice?

3. Is there another range made today that has a vintage look that is reliable and operates well?

Thanks for your help. I have always found Garden Web helpful on decisions like this.

Comments (21)