SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Need advice about mold/mildew in friend's house (long story).

mama goose_gw zn6OH
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have a friend who bought a house ap 2 1/2 years ago, from the heir of the estate. When the inspection was done, it was stated that there was a drainage problem under the house and no vapor barrier. My friend made her offer contingent on the drainage problem being corrected and a vapor barrier being installed, and had it written into the contract.

My understanding is that someone who was acting as POA for the heir signed a form to the effect that the work had been completed, and presented it to the realtor, who provided a copy to my friend's loan officer. The sale went through, and my friend moved in and started working on the house.

We've had a very wet and humid summer, and my friend's house had a mold/mildew bloom. She had it inspected by a different person who said that it is a common mold that's present in every house, but it needs warm temps and high humidity to grow. **The inspector also told her that there was no vapor barrier in the crawl space.** Which made sense, because the mold was thickest at floor level, and on items stored within a few feet of the floor. My friend contacted the realtor, who told her that she had a copy of the repairman's bill for correction of the drainage problem, but there was no mention of a vapor barrier, and my friend could probably sue the heir's POA, for stating that it had been done, but the person didn't appear to have any assets, and in the meantime, the heir/seller had passed away.

My friend's insurance agent inspected the house, and told her that it wouldn't be covered by her homeowner's policy. She consulted a lawyer who advised her that a lawsuit wouldn't be worth pursuing (I don't know any other details of the meeting).

My friend paid to have a vapor barrier installed last week, even though it was supposed to be paid for by the seller. The realtor sent the original repairman to check the crawl space, but he was so unpleasant that my friend asked him to leave, and hired someone else.

A professional mold remediation company wanted $11,000 to clean the house, furniture and possessions, but my friend, who is on a fixed disability income, cannot afford that. Relatives have been helping her sort and clean her possessions--every item that was made of organic material--wood, wicker, leather, paper, etc. was covered in mold, and had to be tossed or cleaned (mostly tossed). All other items and surfaces in her house had to be cleaned--I spent last Saturday helping her wash walls, woodwork, and windows. The mold is not toxic (according to her inspector), just musty-smelling and gross.

My friend went to dinner with her son tonight, and when she returned, she said they both noticed that the house smells musty again. She lives an hour east of me, and as we were speaking on the phone, my area was experiencing a heavy downpour, which was heading her direction. She was already upset about the musty smell and depressed that the mold might be growing again.

She purchased the house in good faith, followed all the rules, and has run into nothing but dead ends. Right now she wants to close the door and walk away, but letting the bank foreclose will ruin her credit, and she will have lost her down payment, closing costs, and 2 1/2 years of payments. She'd done a refresh of the kitchen earlier this year--new cooktop, hood, DW, lighting, and island, and I'd helped her repaint the walls and cabinets. She just had her front door replaced, and siding on the front of the house replaced. She and her sons had pulled up carpet and repainted the rest of the interior. She's just sick at every thing she's lost, and I'm so upset for her. And it's raining again.

My question is: Does anyone know of a group or organization who can help her? Any ideas at all? Thank you for listening.

Comments (16)