SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Buying Furniture - Need Advice from my Decorating Friends (PICS)

jan_in_wisconsin
14 years ago

Hi everyone! Well, it's been a long time coming, but I'm ready to purchase some furniture for our living room, and I would love to hear your thoughts about style.

I am posting some pictures below so you can get a feel for the room (apologize for those of you who have seen these before). I recently bought draperies (I know, I know . . . I was supposed to get the furniture first! But I didn't realize we'd get quite so nice a tax refund at the time.)

Here is the great room area (all current furniture will go, except for TV console/hutch):

And here is the adjacent kitchen/dining:

Fireplace toward back of room (try to ignore Christmas decorations):

Foyer/Hallway:

You can probably tell our style leans toward traditional/comfortable/updated country.

Anyway, we've met with a designer at Younkers, and been pleased with her thoughts so far.

Below are some samples of fabric for a pair of club chairs she is recommending for the fireplace area. They will be covered in the gold print and have some throw pillows in the red check to bring in the red of our adjoining dining area. They will share a leather ottoman in the brown leather sample shown. Ignore the picture of the chairs, as they are not the club ones she mentioned.

And, here are the samples for the fabrics she chose for other things. The lower right top solid fabric (not print underneath) is by Broyhill and will be used for a sectional in front of the TV console/hutch. The red fabric is for the throw pillows on the sectional. And, the red paisley print would be for a charming little winged accent chair. The black would have been used for the chaise lounge chair shown in the other picture (and the black checked for a throw pillow on it), but it has been discontinued, so we'll be looking for something else instead of that.

My question is - Given the style of our home, can you suggest styles for seating and accent tables, lighting, etc. that would work in this room? I love the fabrics and things she's chosen so far. Anything I should stay away from in terms of style? I know contemporary/modern wouldn't work, and that's obvious to me, but what about art deco, for example? I'm still a newbie, so any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Jan

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County