SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sumnerfan

Had a long talk with DH about cabinets. Need advice.

sumnerfan
13 years ago

I want to begin by saying this is in the "Can I do a full kitchen for 13,000" thread, but I wanted to make sure it got seen so I decided to create a new thread also. I hope this is not against forum etiquette. I just really wanted to make sure it got seen.

I'm so confused. The contractor we've been using for our kitchen baby step 1 went and had a layout of our kitchen made at Lowe's. He gave me the layout but not the price list, so you know I couldn't resist. The next day I went and 'worked' on the layout he created to make it what I would want. The price was about what I expected. 11,500 for Kraftmaid and 10,500 for Diamond. Apparently DH hadn't been listening, because when I came home he ask and I told. He was shocked and a little angry. He said he thought they would be between 7 and 8 thousand. I explained that I had done hours and hours of research. That I knew the cabinets we wanted were out of our price range and that is why I had been looking for alternate ways to create the kitchen we wanted like Green Demolitions, Habitat Restore, Craigslist, showroom displays for sale, alternate distributors of the same cabinets, and RTA brands like Ikea.

Then we talked about our options. Apparently he is REALLY READY to do the kitchen. First we talked about just doing part of the kitchen. There is an obvious stopping point. If we did that and we ordered by Friday (for the current promotions) we could get 2/3 of our kitchen done in Kraftmaid for 6500. It would actually be only five cabinets short of our full kitchen. I know that sounds fast, but I've been thinking about this for years and I know exactly what I want. However I am concerned about how this would impact the countertops.

OR I could call some of the companies mentioned here like Designer's Choice that also sell Kraftmaid to see if we could get the price down enough to do the entire kitchen. (I sincerely doubt we could, but it is always worth a try).

OR He threw out Ikea. I was shocked because he was completely anti-Ikea three weeks ago. I did our layout last night. And for the entire kitchen our cabinets would be 4,500 at Ikea excluding tax and shipping. I'm also a little confused. I did the kitchen builder then had it calculate the cost. Does it pull all the 'other' things we need. There were some things on there I didn't recognize but I also didn't see any finished ends which I know we would need. Our biggest concern with Ikea is will they hold up for the long run? This is our forever house and I'm not a person who likes to change things often. I find what I like and I stick with it. Has anyone had an Ikea kitchen for 10 or 15 years? If so, how is it holding up?

I feel like I have whiplash! My head is reeling and I don't know what to think or do. I almost feel that I should put this is a different post. The idea that I am completely responsible for compiling our materials list and ordering cabinets is daunting. What if I mess it up! I just don't know. I need your insights. Thanks for everything. You've been great and I really appreciate your honest thoughts, even when they aren't exactly what I had hoped to hear.

Comments (19)