SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdo56

Problem area in my St Augustine, not sure what the cause is

mdo56
8 years ago

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the most common causes of bad spots in St Augustine would be?

I have a pretty nice and for the most part healthy St Augustine front yard. It's especially nice since I'm in Southern California where watering your lawn is somewhat of an issue these days. During the summer, I've been watering twice a week, for roughly 10-15 minutes each time.

For the last two years, along the edge of the lawn that butts to my driveway I've always had a maybe 2ft x 2ft area that just would not green up. While the rest of the grass around it is is bright green and growing like crazy, this one spot just stayed dormant / dead looking. Recently, over the past couple of months I've noticed the area has gotten bigger, it's spread out almost the entire length of the driveway now. My first thought was maybe the thatch had gotten to thick, I could reach down, grab the thatch and easily pull up 1" thick mats of dead material. So I took my thatch rake to it and just ended up ripping up big spots of 1" thick mats of dead grass / thatch, leaving ugly spots of bare soil in the lawn. When I started seeing that entire areas of grass were completely pulling up from the soil i stopped.

Again, 95% of the lawn is doing great, it just seems to be this one area that's having issues.

Comments (14)