SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Dying St. Augustine lawn in east L.A. area

javiwa
7 years ago

My mom lives in a suburb ~ 30 min east of downtown L.A., and had St. Aug sod laid down (front and back yards) three years ago. First year, no problems. Year Two, while the grass was green and alive, it wasn't thriving (the lawn guy follows instructions to mow as short as possible) -- blades were short and tough -- not a lot of new, tender growth. I don't believe the lawn was ever fertilized, but a regular watering schedule was maintained (as is possible during a drought).

Last July, when I last visited, I noticed patchy dead areas -- still no apparent new growth. I fertilized both yards with a balanced fertilizer (probably Scott's).

During the current visit, I noticed the dead areas are making their way across the entire back lawn. The front is much greener, but I can tell 'something' is starting to spread there, too.

Backyard:

And here's a close up of the blades:

I live in Houston and have had a thriving St. Aug lawn for decades. I just don't know where/how to begin diagnosing this. It's very odd that within the obviously dead patches, there are islands of bright green, healthy tufts of growth. The Houston area is seeing very extensive sod webworm damage, but this doesn't seem the same (unless it's so far gone).

I'd appreciate any help diagnosing this. The lawn guy only mows and will fertilize if we plop a bag of fertilizer out as a 'signal' to apply. If this is a pest problem, it'll be beyond him to apply anything. I can manage one treatment before I leave, but repeat applications are out of the question. I don't know what the bug 'timetable' is for Southern California; i.e., what to look out for this time of year.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)