SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamizami

expert help needed: how to keep wood from yellowing/ambering

tamizami
8 years ago

we are doing a new build and i am trying to get ahead of my floor choice (like cpartist!)......we get a TON of natural sunlight in our home and live near the beach, where we get wide variations of humidity levels. therefore, i think we need engineered wood floors - i am looking for a square edge with a wear layer of 4mm-6mm and 5-1/4" - 7" planks in an ultra matte commercial grade finish (bona traffic HD, glitsa infinity ii, etc.). i am pretty certain i want white oak, but the questions are thus:

1. will white oak turn amber/yellow after a lot of sunlight exposure?

2. is bleaching/liming the floors something we should get to prevent the yellowing?

3. should i get site finished or prefinished?

4. will wire-brushed just create crevices for dirt to collect in, making it more difficult to vacuum/dust in the humid air? or is it a good idea because it hides imperfections and wear over time? (we have tiny 4lb dogs so they aren't an issue except for damp paw prints occassionally.)

we currently have maple which turns very yellow over time - even with a water based finish. plus the surface is like a mirror and shows everything. i am hoping to avoid these issues but still get a beautiful light floor.

thank you in advance for any guidance!

Comments (2)