SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_in_tulsa

Need help from flagstone patio experts...

jeff_in_tulsa
17 years ago

Hello everyone... I've been a long-time lurker/reader on this forum, but never had a reason to post before now.

Basically, I'm planning on laying a dry-construction flagstone area, and have some questions. I've posted a handy-dandy picture for reference:

{{gwi:288135}}

I understand that getting a good, proper and level sand bed is a very important part of the process, so in my picture, I'm showing roughly where I want the flagstone patio area to be, and have different colors referencing how I plan to retain the sand bed area.

One big thing you'll notice is that I have a concrete sidewalk running along one end, and I would rather not have to deal with busting it up/removing it. This may not be an option, so I'd love to hear opinions.

One thing you cannot really see on the far left side of the picture is that I have 4 or 5 steps coming down from a raised deck to meet the sidewalk where the PURPLE line is. That will be one edge of my sand bed.

The RED line that runs along the bed with hydrangeas will be another border, but the loose paving stones in there now will be replaced with a combination of that steel edging stuff from Home Depot and stones.

The next border is a tricky one -- for the BLUE line, I was planning on lag-bolting some sort of L-bracket across the length of the side walk in combination with some sort of brick/mortor deal.

The GREEN line border will be against the white retaining wall.

Finally, the YELLOW line will be the Home Depot steel edging/rocks like the flower bed.

I will dig the turf out.

My plan is to have about 2-3 inches of sand leveled out across the dug out turf/sidewalk areas and then put the flagstones in. Since the sidewalk area will be "higher" than the area with the dug-out turf, there will likely be 3-5 inches of sand in the removed turf area.

FYI, I live in Tulsa, Okla., which is Zone 6/7, so we have basically mild winters. Maybe 1 or 2 snows per year, and we never have around-the-clock below freezing temperaturs for more than a day or two at a time. (And many times its in the 60s or 70s two or three days later.)

Questions:

* Is this realistic? I know it would be BETTER to take the sidewalk/concrete OUT, but this would increase my expenses and labor greatly.

* Do my boundries seem like they would appropriatly hold the sand bed in place?

* I'm thinking a good idea, instead of 3-5 inches of sand where the turf would be dug out would be to fill in gravel in that area, making the gravel essentially level with the sidewalk, and then put 2-3 inches of sand over the whole thing.

* Any other thoughts?

Comments (11)

Sponsored