SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Deep Stem Planting and Florida's soils

I just got done watching the latest episode of Gardening Australia and the last segment on the episode went over Deep Stem planting. Watching this show over the past year or so, I have heard this method mentioned, but they never really fully explained it. In this episode they did. Deep Stem planting involves planting stemmed plants with "up to 70%" of the stem in the hole.

I have tried this method a little in my own yard, but only with things that are easily propagated and replaced, like some dracaena rootings and I haven't lost any plants yet, except one that rotted, but I think that was due to too much water. One of the key factors to take into consideration with Deep Stem planting is the soil. The presenter of the segment mentions that Deep Stem planting often fails when the soil is boggy or clay heavy. The soil has to be "reasonable to well-drained" which describes much of Florida's soil. So if anyone is willing to try, this might be something to experiment with more here. I wouldn't start with any prized or expensive plants, but things that if they they don't take, there won't be any tears shed. I would also wager a guess that this would work better with plants that can usually be propagated by cuttings.

Granted, Deep Stem planting goes against conventional planting wisdom, but don't all 'breakthroughs'? If anyone is interested in watching the episode where this talked about (hopefully Gardening Australia doesn't get mad at me for this), you can download and watch it from here: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/video/download.htm. The episode is Episode 24, dated 22/08/2015.

Comments (9)