SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

Rooting A Jade Stem, Special Soil ?

floridabear
16 years ago

I saw the posting below about rooting jade, But I had a specific question about rooting them. I bought 2 expensive cuttings off of EBay. I mean EXPENSIVE! 2 cuttings of 2 very pretty varieties cost over $30.00! So I want them to root and thrive. I have a special cacti soil mix that I got on EBay...it is about 95% pumice and 5% peat moss, so it drains super fast and it holds up heavy cuttings really good. Is this soil a good one to ROOT in. OR should I root in something that holds more water??

The rooting directions, gave good instructions, but it said to SOAK the soil after planting the cuttings,and they will have rooting hormone on them when they arrive, It even said to keep the spaghnum moss on the cuttings, that they will be wrapped in for shipping, when they are planted to root them. Is that right? That part doesn't sound right. It sounds like a great way to ROT the cutting. Shouldn't it be removed?

With this cacti soil it drains super fast,and my other cacti love it, and my Stapelia cuttings took to it VERY fast as well.

So is this cacti soil be the right one to use to root in...or should I use a soil that holds more water longer to get them to root?

I hope that this question makes sense.

Comments (5)