SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

Rooting Big Jade Cuttings

floridabear
16 years ago

I finally got 2 BIG jade cuttings from EBay. 6 weeks of waiting, from a seller that I wouldn't trust to tell me the shy is blue!

Anyway. They are called 'Morgans Beauty',it has big leaves on it and are greenish/grey with a red rim,..and the other looks like a plain old jade, with a red rim on the leaves,...called 'Hot Lips'...it is suppose to be VERY red. It is barely red. I guess because it has been in a box for a week and it has been a cutting for a few weeks. Long story short. How do you root big cuttings?

The 'Morgans Beauty' is very top heavy, and has 2 branches, the stem is about as thick as an index finger, it is callused over. The 'Hot Lips', is multi branched and is also calloused over. It's stem is about as think as a pinky. Can I plant them a few inches deep into soil to hold them upright,and do I scraped the main stem on these, and coat them in rooting hormone? Or leave them as they are? Do I only put them like 1in into soil and somehow get them to stay upright? I have no idea how. The Morgans Beauty is VERY top heavy, the leaves/paddles are very heavy. The other is less top heavy,but there are more branches on it.

Do I just stick them into my cactus soil,that is 90% pumice and 10% peat.? And barely water them, or give them a good soaking and put them in the shade and wait? Whats the best way to root them??.

I dont want to cut them down to little stems. God knows I paid enough for them and waited 6 weeks for them...and shocked when they showed up today! And...the idiots that I bought them from said to plant them in the spaghnum moss they came wrapped in! And to soak them in their soil I pot them into. They SAY they have been dipped in a rooting hormone. But I see none or smell none on the cuttings. I wouldnt trust them to tell how to plant marigold seeds!

So...whats the best way to do this? I would like to get these to root and grow. The 'Morgans Beauty' is really unusual. IF the other turns as red as the picture in the auction that I bought it from,...I would love to see these in all their beauty.

Comments (10)