SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Why is my boneless grilled chicken so juicy?

John Liu
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am curious about why this cooking technique works so well.

My standard way of grilling chicken is:

- Debone whole chicken

- Season both skin and meat side, using a store bought rub (salt, dried garlic and onion, and spices), put in a Zip lock bag and refrigerate for a couple hours

- Lay fresh rosemary branches on preheated grill

- Lay chicken on rosemary, opened up and laying flat with skin side down, close grill lid, heat medium

- After about 20 min, open lid, rendered far and rosemary branches are burning and skin is browned and slightly blackened

- Flip chicken to meat side down, back on top of the burned and burning rosemary, close lid, heat low

- After about 20 min, open lid, meat is slightly browned, check internal temp at breast and leg, aim for 140-150 F

- Transfer chicken to tray, skin side up, cut up with scissors to serving size pieces

The chicken is cooked through, moist and juicy. More moisture than any other cooking method I've tried. Even the breast is juicy. When the chicken is laying on the tray, you can see juices coming to the surface of the skin.

What I am puzzled about is, why does this work?. The heat is quite high during much of the process. I always thought cooking boneless makes the bird more prone to dry out. And grilled chicken tends to be dry, but not with this method.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths