SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggie2094

What to do with Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs?

maggie2094
16 years ago

Not a cut I usually purchase. I must have seen it used here! What would you do with them?

It is almost a 4 pound package so thinking some for tonight and maybe some to shred to use in the pizza party tomorrow.

Thanks!

Comments (32)

• shaun
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I buy those to make chicken soup with. Also I use them for Chicken Cacciatori. Hope I spelled that right. I can cook it, just not spell it.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

I use them for chicken enchiladas

• Related Discussions

Boneless/skinless chicken breast advise please

Q

Comments (15)
    The spinach was not frozen, and so I sautéed it briefly to reduce the volume and make it easier to stuff. I added Asiago cheese to the filling to give it more flavor, but the result was very bland, even though I seasoned the chicken with my Cajun seasoning mix. I had also added fresh basil to the spinach mixture. I made three breasts, and we only ate one of them, and so I have two left over, besides the raw ones that I froze. The white wine (Chardonnay) that I added did make a nice sauce, but a pasta sauce would have been more flavorful. I also made some plain brown basmati rice. The last time I made brown basmati rice I added to many other ingredients (I was making Jambalaya), and the rice never got tender. Having plain rice only added to the blandness of the meal. Adding more pepper to the chicken would have helped, I think. Lars
    ...See More

The Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs tasted great....

Q

Comments (16)
    "Major EEEWWWWSSS !!!!!" EXACTLY! Sharon, I think you are rubbing off on me.... I have started putting raw scrambled eggs through a fine sieve jsut so I can trap the chalaza (shudder!) and toss them out rather than have them ever show up where they could be SEEN! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! I also have been fishing them out of fried eggs and leaving them on the side of my plate. If there are eggs in a baked product, I just convince myself that there is no way it ended up in the piece I am eating. LOLOLOLOL! And there is nothing at all wrong with eating eggs OR chicken thighs as they come ffrom the bird.... as Sharon mentioned, it is all psychological! Alexa
    ...See More

Bonless skinless chicken help

Q

Comments (11)
    I poach chicken breasts for salad. Poach is a very slow simmer.I put some water....what looks like enough to cover the bricken into a pot with a lid, add some onion...a slice for just a small but of chicken, a bit of celery, the leaves are OK...no need to chop, a whole clove of garlic...2 if I have a lot of chicken to cook, and some parsley...if I have another use for the ruffley part I will just use the stems, and something acid...maybe a wedge of lemon, a splash of dry wine, a spoon of vinegar... a bit of salt...pepper. Bring to a boil and boil for a bit....5 minutes if you are in a hurry, 20 minutes if the phone rings! Turn the fire off and add the chicken, turn the heat back on and keep at a slow simmer until its' done...depends on the amount of chicken you are cooking but 12 to 15 minutes is about right. Cut into the chicken to see when it's done....don't over cook. Remove chicken from broth, strain and save the broth for other uses....you may want to reduce it a bit. Or just poach the chicken in white wine. That was my father's secret recipe! He would pack chicken breasts,with the skin, into a heavy pot, cover with Virginia Dare white wine...sweet, icky, fruity....and slowly simmer until the chicken was done....then he would brown the chicken in a bit of butter, reduce down the cooking liquid add fruit....think it was pineapple maybe canned peaches, I forget, and thicken with cornstarch and serve over the chicken! LOL! I forgot about that! Linda C
    ...See More

Canned bone-in chicken thighs...my experience

Q

Comments (19)
    Well, I opened another pint of chicken thighs, added a little more chicken broth and made fluffy dumplings with a new box of Bisquick and it was so good. At this rate, all the canned chicken thighs will be gone before I get snowed in. Thank you, Annie. I am well, but the hops have been put off until the spring when they are usually planted. We have one other hops farmer in my county and he swears by planting them in the fall, but most people hold off until spring. I couldn't get the help I needed to get the acre prepared and the plants in. I haven't been lazy, though. I'm putting the finishing touches on a new coop and run for my girls. I should be able to move them in tomorrow. And I'm making a couple of swings for them. I'm also thinking of enlarging my flock. There's all the garlic as well and I've got ginger and turmeric coming in next March. I'm working like crazy to get things ready for a Christmas Bazaar next Saturday and waiting for my training to start to become a certified firefighter with our county's volunteer fire department. Can you imagine a 73 year old female being a firefighter? Well, I try to keep active and can do a lot of things those a lot younger than I can do. It was the cakes I made for their last fish/tenderloin fry that clinched it, I'm sure. Seriously, I was a member of the Emergency Management Agency here for several years and a ham radio operator for about 25 years. Also, I've had some medical training and could go on to get certified in that phase as well. I'm looking forward for a slow down once winter sets in, but will be prepared to be busy once its over. Madonna
    ...See More
  • spacific
    16 years ago

I like to use them for the slow cooking dishes like Coq au Vin or Tagines (see Talking Tagines thread). And same as Shaun, I use them for soups and chicken cacciatori (no clue if that's spelled right... I just copied you, Shaun.)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Here is a favorite of ours - the recipe below is just as Janet posted it, but I'll you that I just toss the chicken and potatoes all together with the marinade and roast together. I use chicken thighs (either boneless, skinless or with bones and skin) with sweet and white potatoes and not parsnips or carrots.

Chances Mom/Janet
    Burnished Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips and Shallots
    (We don't like sweet potato so I subbed potatoes)

3 tbsp olive oil
    3 tbsp dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tbsp balsamic
    salt and pepper
    8 chicken thighs (I get them boned so they are easier to eat)
    1 med large peeled sweet potato (I subbed 5 small potatoes quartered) cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    4 med parsnips peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    4 small shallots, peeled and halved thru root (I used at least 6)
    I also added 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    3 strips bacon (I used pancetta diced)cooked and crumbled
    Stir together oil, mustard balsamic salt and pepper in large bowl, add chicken and toss. Marinate at least 1 hr and upto 8 hrs.
    Heat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange chicken skin up on large rimmed baking sheet. At other end of sheet toss veggies with salt and pepper (I also added some butter). Roast 20 minutes, then baste chicken and stir veggies. Contine basting and stirring every 10 minutes. (I didn't do this just left it)
    When chicken is done, take veggies out and toss with 1/2 of the bacon , and transfer to serving platter, top with chicken and toss rest of bacon over.
    Because I used deboned thighs, I started the veggies about 15 minutes before adding the chicken and cooked the whole thing about and hour.
    The beauty of this dish is it can hold for quite a while without getting over done or dried out. Both times I made it when we had company and kind of forgot about it til it was time to eat. The chicken comes out a beautiful burnished brown and the veggies are sweet.

I also like this Tuscan Chicken recipe using all dark meat - thighs are a favorite in my house.

Tuscan Chicken

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenderloins
    Salt and pepper
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    6 cloves garlic, crushed
    3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 shallots, chopped
    6 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 cups beef broth (yes, beef broth)

Heat a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken
    with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, half
    the chicken pieces, and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic.
    Brown chicken 2 minutes on each side and remove from pan. Add
    remaining oil, another single turn of the pan, remaining chicken
    pieces and garlic. Brown chicken 2 minutes on each side and remove.
    Add vinegar to the pan. Let it cook off.
    Add butter, shallots, and rosemary to the pan and cook 2 minutes,
    add flour and cook 1 minute more. Whisk in wine, reduce 1 minute.
    Whisk in broth and bring liquids up to a bubble. Return chicken to
    the pan and simmer over moderate heat 7 to 8 minutes to finish
    cooking chicken through.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I don't like how the "meats" taste on it's own. So I use them in anything that has a strong flavor to over power them.
    Marinating them in teriyaki sauce, breading and using them in Chicken Parmesan and injecting them with hot spicy flavors and grilling.

• danain
    16 years ago

Grilled Rosemary Chicken
    (You can use a grill pan on the stove for these.)

{{gwi:1489065}}

1 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
    2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken: 8 thighs or 2 breast

Dipping Sauce:
    1/2 cup apricot preserves
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl combine rosemary, sugar, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch strips (or breast into 1-inch chunks). Sprinkle the chicken with the rosemary mixture. Skewer the chicken thighs by rolling strips then inserting into wood skewers that have been soaked in water for at least 30 minutes. Drizzle skewered chicken with olive oil.

Combine dipping sauce ingredients and set aside at room temperature.

Heat a grill over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes. Clean the grates with a brush and place chicken skewers on the grate; reduce heat to medium. Cook chicken, turning after about 5 minutes and cook 5 or 6 minutes more, until juices run clean and internal temperature of chicken reaches 160. Remove from grill and cover loosely with foil and let rest at least 5 minutes before serving with dipping sauce.

*May substitute balsamic vinegar for the white wine vinegar.
    **Recipe inspired by recipe from Fine Cooking magazine.

This is wonderful served with roasted sweet potatoes with chipotle dipping sauce (mayonnaise mixed with pureed chipotle or Adobo sauce to taste).

Marilyn

• danain
    16 years ago

Chicken Stew

{{gwi:1489111}}

5 or 6 chicken thighs and legs; skin removed
    Salt & pepper
    2 stalks celery; sliced thick
    1 cup frozen pearl onions or 3 shallots, quartered
    2 cloves garlic; minced
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    3 cups low sodium chicken broth
    3 or 4 large carrots; sliced thick
    2 handfuls fresh green beans
    1 to 1 1/2 pounds tiny red potatoes (optional)
    1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons flour
    3 tablespoons cool water or broth

Season chicken thighs lightly with salt and pepper and place in a Dutch oven or a large heavy sauce pan. Add celery, pearl onions, garlic, thyme, and chicken broth. Cover and bring to a simmer, cooking for 1½ hours until chicken is almost falling off the bone. Remove chicken from the pot, remove bones if desired; cover to keep warm. Stir in carrots, green beans, and potatoes. Continue to cook uncovered until potatoes are fork tender; about 20 minutes. Whisk together flour and water to make a smooth slurry; slowly stir into stew to thicken the broth. Continue to simmer for another 3 minutes then return chicken to pot to heat through. Stir in parsley and serve.

*If using canned green beans, stir in at the end with the cooked chicken just to heat through.
    **To make this into herb chicken stew add 1 sprig rosemary and 1 teaspoon rubbed sage when adding thyme.

Marilyn

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

The thighs are my least favorite part of a chicken - the gamiest, if you will. So I like slow-cooking recipes for them. Like Sol's lemon garlic chicken.

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

I've made this many times, and it is fantastic. Found it on the Food network site. You can do it with skinless thighs, except I would partially submerge them so they don't dry out. I serve with whole wheat noodles.

Chicken Stew with Rosemary and Lemon

Chicken thighs (or a mix of white and dark meat), roughly 2 1/2 pounds (each thigh about 6 ounces)
    Kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    4 carrots, sliced into 1-inch bias cut (about 1 1/2 cups)
    4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch bias cut (about 1 1/2 cups)
    2 sprigs rosemary
    1 lemon, juiced
    2 1/2 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
    3/4 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed (optional)
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    Buttered noodles, accompaniment
    Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
    Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a Dutch oven (12-inch diameter) over medium-high heat.
    Lay half of the chicken pieces skin-side down in the skillet.
    Cook the chicken, until golden-brown on both sides, turning once, about 8 minutes.
    Transfer to a plate.
    Repeat with remaining chicken.
    Reduce the heat to medium, add the carrots and celery, and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes.
    Add the rosemary, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more.
    Add the lemon juice, and scrape up any browned bits that cling to the pan with a wooden spoon.
    Add the broth, onions, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon salt and bring just to a boil.
    Return the chicken skin-side up to the pot, taking care that the skin is just over the surface of the liquid, and then put the stew in the oven.
    Cook, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through, tender, and lightly glazed and brown, about 40 minutes.

Baste the chicken occasionally in the last 20 minutes of cooking.
    Meanwhile, use a fork to work the remaining 2 tablespoons butter into the 2 tablespoons flour to make a paste.
    Remove the stew from the oven.
    Remove and discard the rosemary and arrange all the vegetables and chicken (reserving the juices in the pan) in a serving dish/bowl.
    Place the Dutch oven over medium heat and whisk the butter/flour mixture into the juices until dissolved.
    Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.
    Pour sauce over the chicken and serve immediately over buttered noodles.

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

A friend of mine won a contest with this recipe. It's a favorite at our house. I usually make it with only 5 or 6 thighs, because that's what fits in my pan.

Spanish Chicken Thighs

Ingredients:

* 8 broiler-fryer chicken thighs, skinned
    * 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    * 2 medium onions, sliced
    * 2 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1 jar (12 oz.) roasted red peppers, drained
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    * 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, halved
    * 1/2 cup raisins
    * 3/4 cup dry white wine

Directions:
    In large nonstick frypan, place 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and heat to medium temperature. Add onions and garlic and saute about 3 minutes. Place mixture in blender container with red peppers, salt and pepper; blend until pureed. In same frypan, place remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add chicken and cook, turning, about 10 minutes or until brown. Pour red pepper puree over chicken. Sprinkle olives and raisins over chicken; add wine. Lower heat to low temperature; cover and simmer about 45 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Makes 4 servings.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Mmmmmmmm. Thighs are my favorite to use in Sol's Lemon Garlic Chicken.

Lemon Garlic Chicken (AWESOME)

1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
    1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil and/or oregano
    S & P to taste
    1 3½ pound fryer chicken, cut up (thighs are great!)
    25 garlic cloves (not a mistake...twenty five garlic cloves)
    ¾ cup chicken broth
    In a small bowl, stir to combine, the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, ¼ cup of the herbs, and salt and pepper.
    Preheat oven to 425ºF. Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting pan, and pour the lemon-herb mixture over. Arrange the garlic cloves all around the chicken, stirring them to coat with the mixture. Roast for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are golden brown.

Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the broth to the pan and place on top of the stove over medium-high heat. Stir to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, while smooshing the roasted garlic to thicken the sauce slightly. I like to transfer the chicken to a platter, pour the sauce over the chicken and then, garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons herbs and lemon wedges.

Sol (GardenWeb)

Deanna

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

I like to use them for a Brunswick-style stew - chicken broth, chunks of the cooked thighs, chopped onion, sliced celery, can of diced tomatoes, cubed potatoes, corn, Fordhood lima beans, Worcestershire sauce, ground coriander and thyme.

You could increase the amount of chicken in the following recipe, if desired.

CHICKEN AND BASMATI RICE serves 4

1 tsp. olive oil
    3 scallions, thinly sliced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 1/3 cups basmati rice
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    2 carrots, peeled and shredded
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
    2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

In a large saucepan, heat the oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat. Add the scallions and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the rice, stirring to coat. Stir in the broth, water, and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 10 minutes.

Stir in the chicken, carrots and raisins. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in the almonds and cilantro.

Note: Some chopped fresh ginger can be adding along with the garlic.

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

When searching through recipes some time back I found Sol's recipe and made it and it was very good. Another that I found (that I personally have not tried yet but it got rave reviews on another food board) is this:

CROCKPOT CRANBERRY CHICKEN
    (source unknown; one website or another; original poster's notes at bottom)

1 small onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup fresh or frozen (unthawed) cranberries
    12 skinless, boneless chicken thgihs (about 2 1/4 lbs. total)
    1/4 cup catsup
    2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch blended w/2 tablespoons cold water
    salt

In a 3-quart or larger electric slow cooker, combine onion, cranberries. Arrange chicken on top. In small bowl, mix catsup, sugar, mustard and vinegar and pour over chicken. Cover. Cook at low setting until chicken is very tender when pierced (6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours).

Lift out chicken when done, blend cornstarch mixture into cooking liquid. Increase cooker heat setting to high; cover and cook, stirring 2 or 3 times until sauce thickens (10 to 15 more minutes). Season to taste with salt; pour over chicken. Makes 6 servings.

• lindac
    16 years ago

General Tso's chicken.

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH, thank you! I need to buy these more often.

I will be saving this thread.

Now, the funny thing is I am missing one ingredient from each recipe. I am in the mood for the cacciatore - no peppers, the stew recipes look great - no pearl onions...I have 2 packs of mushrooms ... hmmm ... I can sub something.

I have the burnished chicken on my to try list and t he cranberry chicken sounds really good to me but that silly husband would not care for that!

So many good ones! I feel pressured! LOL

Thanks everyone! I'll make something from here - just have to sub something.

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Maggie should have added that you can't beat using them to make Chicken and Andouille Sausage Gumbo! On a day like today in my area, that would sure taste mighty good.

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

I was going to suggest General Tso's Chicken and gumbo, but I see I've been beaten to the punch. The recipe Linda C linked is the exact one I use. (Kinda weird since there are countless versions of it.) Anyway, it's really superb! Once you try it, you'll never talk bad about chicken thighs again.
    :)

sm

• arley_gw
    16 years ago

I second the suggestion for chicken & andouille gumbo.

Longtime readers will know of my enthusiasm for pressure cooker cooking; a couple of pounds of boneless chicken thighs, an onion or two, some water or broth and a goodly dose of Patak's curry paste, and you have some delicious curry in a quarter of an hour. I do prefer thighs to breasts (Jessy, don't even go there!!!) because of they're juicier and have a fuller flavor.

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OH, dixie, would you share your gumbo recipe? No rush! I don't have peppers so it would be for another day. I love gumbo but have never made it. I would love to try it!

The day has really gotten away from me today...sigh.

• arley_gw
    16 years ago

Here's my favorite chicken & andouille sausage gumbo recipe, slightly altered to use chicken thighs:

Smoked Chicken and Andouille Sausage Filé Gumbo

3 lbs boneless chicken thighs (approx)
    1 -1 ½ lbs andouille sausage (see notes)
    ½ lb baked ham, diced (see notes)
    1 bell pepper, chopped
    1 bunch green onions, chopped
    2 cups onions, chopped
    2 qt chicken stock (see notes) or water
    1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
    2 tbsp chopped parsley
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    ½ tsp cayenne
    1 ½ tsp thyme
    3 bay leaves
    Vegetable oil to brown the thigs
    Roux:
    1/2 cup Flour
    1/2 cup vegetable oil

Salt
    Gumbo Filé

This recipe freezes beautifully, so I usually multiply the recipe 4 or 6 fold. A single recipe makes a great meal for 4 hungry or 6 polite people.

Brown the thighs in a little oil in the bottom of a 6 to 8 qt pot, just until they lose the raw look. Remove from the pot and reserve.

Make a microwave roux (yes, it's cheating, but it's nearly foolproof): in a large pyrex measure or microwaveable glass bowl, mix ½ cup oil and ½ cup flour. Put it in the microwave on high for 3 minutes. Itll bubble and froth. Stir it well, nuke it again for 2 minutes. Stir. Nuke again for 1 minute. Stir. Repeat the nuke/stir cycles, 30 seconds at a time, until it turns medium brown (about the color of peanut butter) At that point throw in some of the chopped vegetables to arrest the browning. Itll steam (be careful). Mix well. Put the roux and the rest of the vegetables in the bottom of the pot, mix well, add a little of the stock and mix again; then add the sausage, ham, all the seasonings except for salt and file powder, and the rest of the stock. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, and simmer for about 30 minutes. The oil from the roux and the sausage will rise to the top; ladle it off and discard. Add the reserved chicken pieces, return it to a boil then reduce to a simmer, and simmer for another 20 minutes or so. During this time, make some rice. Degrease the dish again. Add salt if needed (you probably wont need it, especially if you used canned chicken broth; and there's a good amount of salt in the sausage). Serve over boiled rice. Each diner may wish to add ¼ to ½ tsp of gumbo filé to his dish.

You can add the chicken parts at the beginning along with the sausage, but they would disintegrate and shred. Still delicious, but you wouldn't have chunks of chicken.

Leftover gumbo can be frozen; figure 1 to 2 cups per person, and make a fresh batch of rice while the gumbo is thawing. Nothing better on a cold winter night.

Notes on ingredients: Andouille is a rich and spicy smoked sausage. Acceptable substitutes are kielbasa or smoked sausage. Dont use low-fat turkey sausageitll taste like hot dogs. Ham: get a chunk from the deli and cut it into ½ inch dice. Gumbo filé is powdered sassafras leaves; it thickens the broth and gives an herbal touch. Both of these ingredients are available at most big supermarkets. Chicken Stock: If you dont want to make stock, you can use canned stock but that can make the dish salty. Half canned stock and half water is okay. Itll even taste good if you use 100% water instead of stock, but stock makes it richer.

• arley_gw
    16 years ago

The title of that post should read :"Chicken and Andouille Sausage File Gumbo". I had adapted it from a recipe I printed out for smoked chicken & sausage gumbo and forgot to change the title. If you smoke a few chickens in a backyard smoker and use the meat for the gumbo and the skin & bones for the stock, you end up with an incredibly rich gumbo.

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Arley! I was just coming back to ask you and sm for your gumbo as well! I'll have to see about the file. Thank you.

Boy, I am high maintenance today.

Just a note - when I opened them I thought they would be great for stuffing - didn't know they would roll out like they did - another time!

I am getting a late start and am making a stew based on daniain and coookingrvc. So, I just realized I let it get to a boil - boy those dutch ovens hold heat! Did I doom us to rubber chicken?

Also, no pearl onions or green beans. I have mushrooms and artichoke hearts. Think that would be good? Add them at the end, right?

I do appreciate all the recipes - they really all sound so good!

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just a general question -

If you have skinless thighs would you still brown them first if a recipe calls for it?

• ovenbird
    16 years ago

I've used boneless thighs with this recipe, which I got from my sister. It's one of my favorites.

Braised Chicken and Olives (Makes 4 servings)

3-1/2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces (I use ~2 lbs deboned and skinned thighs)
    1 Tbs olive oil
    1 onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp dried thyme, crumbled
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 cup green olives, preferably imported
    1/2 cup black olives, preferably imported
    3/4 cup dry white wine
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    1-1/2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbs cold water

Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown in olive oil on moderately high heat. Transfer chicken to a plate when browned. Reduce heat to moderately low, add the onion and stir till softened. Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme and cumin; stir and cook for 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan with any juices that have accumulated on the plate, add the olives and wine, and bring the liquid to a boil. Place all in a covered casserole dish and braise in a preheated 325 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until it is tender. Transfer the chicken and olives with a slotted spoon to a serving dish and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.

Boil the cooking liquid, stirring occasionally, until it is reduced by half. Add broth and bring the liquid to a boil. Stir the cornstarch mixture, whisk it into the boiling liquid, and boil the sauce for 1 minute. Strain the sauce, nap the chicken with some of it, and serve the remaining sauce separately (or just pour all of it over the chicken and serve as is).

NOTE: Unpitted olives hold up better, but pitted are good to use if you're serving guests.

• stacy3
    16 years ago

OMG - don't forget Sol's Caramel chicken!!!!!!! If you look through, I think just the previous WFD thread, she posted a pic. Of course, her pic will sell you quicker than mine will - lol. This stuff is to die for.

YUMMMMMMM

Chicken in Caramel Sauce - Sol
    This recipe is from the Washington Post, which adapted it from a recipe from the Slanted Door restaurant that appeared in a cookbook called The Secrets of Success: Signature Recipes and Insider Tips from San Frans Best Restaurants by Michael Bauer
    1/2 C packed dark brown sugar
    1/4 C water
    1/4 C Asian fish sauce
    3 T rice vinegar
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp thinly sliced fresh ginger
    1/2 to 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (1/2 usually enough for me)
    2 small chili peppers, fresh or dried, halved (I always use fresh)
    1 T canola oil
    1 shallot thinly sliced
    1 1/2 - 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh meat, cut into bite-size pieces (can use a combo of light and dark meat, if you prefer)
    In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, water, fish sauce, vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, pepper, and chilis, and mix well. Set aside.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat (can also use a wok, but Ive had better luck w/a skillet). Add shallot and cook, stirring, until brown, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on each side but not cooked through, about 5 minutes.
    Stir the reserved sauce mixture and add to skillet. Bring mixture to boil, reduce heat to med-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced by about half and the chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard the chili peppers. Remove pan from heat, set aside until sauce has thickened and cooled slightly, about 3 minutes.
    Serve with rice.

Note: This is traditionally a Vietnamese dish. If you havent cooked w/fish sauce before, youll notice that its pretty stinky before its cooked (!), but when the sauce is all together it gives it a really distinctive flavor that would be difficult to duplicate without it. Im able to get it in my local grocery store, but if you cant, then Asian markets will be sure to have it.

The dish can be more spicy or less, depending what you do w/the pepper and chilis. If I want it less spicy, I remove all the seeds from the chilis before adding them to the sauce. This time, I left most of the seeds in, and it was very spicy. Probably theres a happy medium and it would be spicy enough w/about half the seeds. If you prefer it to be more sweet than spicy, remove all the seeds and use a bit less black pepper (even tho I like it spicy, I never need more than 1/2 tsp of pepper).
    ((One problem I have is that the chicken is usually done faster than the sauce is reduced. It doesnt particularly suffer as a result, but it would probably help if I used a larger skillet so the chicken could brown faster while cooking for a shorter time. )) I'm not sure whose note this is!
    Enjoy!

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

More good ones:)

Thanks again!

{{gwi:1489112}}

• dixiedog_2007
    16 years ago

Maggie I can't add much as Arley's recipe is very similar to mine. I use tasso or smoked ham. I've never put in Bay leaves but that sounds like a good addition. Chicken stock always. I add sliced green onions, on the top after cooking.

Your roux is what is important in this dish. Do not burn or it will ruin the dish. I like a deep copper color. I normally do stovetop but she has provided you with a microwave version. I know you can also do in the oven but I have not done it that way.

Your picture looks wonderful!

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Dixie! My husband will be thrilled if I can pull it off. Think I will give it a whirl for Mardi Gras.

• User
    16 years ago

Lots of good recipes here, I use them for stews/soups also. I made a Moroccan chicken today, even the food critic liked it :)

I left out the apricots, because I just can't like apricots.

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

Looks great, Maggie! Leftovers? make pot pie!

Woodie's Tuscan chicken is very good!

• maggie2094
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dishes - great idea! I'm doing that! I have crust in the freezer. I knew that stew reminded me of something. Think I'll add some peas and have a pot pie:)

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

I love pot pie!

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner