Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Canned bone-in chicken thighs...my experience

pqtex
8 years ago

For the first time, I raw-packed bone-in chicken thighs last week. I
removed the skin and cut off visible fat. I canned four quarts
according to NCHFP guidelines, and used the newer recommendation/option
to add liquid or broth to the jars. I added hot chicken stock.

I was very happy with the results! The thigh meat came out very, very flavorful and moist. I opened my first jar last night. I cannot believe how good this stuff
is! I was eating it as fast as I pulled it out of the jar.

I have canned hot-pack boneless chicken breast before, and while okay, it was a little dry, and reminded me a lot of the canned chicken you buy at the grocery store. The raw pack thigh meat is perfect and reminds me of my own homemade chicken and dumplings! The resulting liquid/broth in the jar was better than I can describe.

I realize some of the differences between my first time with the boneless breast and this time with the bone-in thighs is that thighs will naturally be more moist than breasts, but the flavor was incredible. Some of the difference may have been between hot pack and raw pack. but I don't know. The thigh bone and small amount of cartilage was easily removed before preparing my dish.

This will make quick and easy meals. If I want chicken and dumplings, for instance, all I have to do is mix up the dumplings, roll them out and add them to the pot!

I will definitely can more chicken and wanted to share with others who might be wondering what it was like. Leaving the bone in was a lot faster than trying to debone it. The one thing I was unsure of was whether it was best to leave skin on or remove it, so I removed it.

Comments (19)