SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Using water instead of milk in bread recipe

Kevin bought me a Pullman loaf pan (which has a removable top) so that the bread I make will fit into sandwich bags for our lunches. I decided to use the recipe that came with the pan, but it calls for milk (in addition to water) plus additional milk powder. I did not like the taste of it, and I think the milk powder is the problem. We do not drink milk, and the only milk we have is powdered. When I use a small amount in a bread recipe (1-1/2 to 2 Tbsp), it is okay, but this recipe called for 1/4 cup in addition to 2/3 cup milk, which I had to make from water plus milk powder. The recipe fits the pan, but I want to get rid of all milk except for perhaps 2 Tbsp of milk powder, and I'm not sure what other adjustments I need to make. I found this info on the King Arthur web site, but it is not specific enough. I do not care whether the bread is soft or not; I prefer for it not to be too soft. In fact, I substituted 2 tbsp of semolina for part of the flour. I also substituted half whole wheat for some of the bread flour. I used 2-1/4 cups WW flour, 2-1/4 cups bread flour, 2 tbsp VWG, 2 tbsp semolina, and I cannot remember the rest of the proportions, but I will get that when I go home for lunch. I do remember that it had 2/3 cup milk plus I think 1 cup of water plus about 2 tbsp sugar and 1-1/2 to 2 tsp salt and 2 tsp yeast. I used 1 Tbsp yeast because I used WW flour, but that might have been more than I needed, as it more than filled the pan, and so I had to cover it with aluminum foil when I baked it instead of the metal lid.

I have a James Beard bread book (which I really do not like), and it has a recipe for Pullman bread, but I'm glad I did not use it, as it used 5-1/2 cups of flour, which would have been way too much. His recipe said that the pan should be turned on its sides for part of the baking, but I do not think that is necessary. He also said to bake it out of the pan for the last part, and I also do not think that is necessary.

How do you adjust recipes when substituting water for milk? I know this is a common practice, but I do not have a formula for it.

Comments (5)