SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Bread recipe question

marys1000
13 years ago

I'm thinking of trying a bread recipe. Its from Levy's book but I don't have powdered milk and am frankly buying stuff and using a tiny bit and throwing the rest out. As far as I know I will never use powdered milk for anything else.

She says if not using the dry milk "you can replace 1 cup of the water with 1 cup milk scalded and cooked to lukewarm.

So.......the dry milk is part of the second step Flour mixture and Dough. The water is part of the first step, the Sponge step

So.......? There doesn't need to be a milk product in the second step?

I do have the powdered cultured buttermilk. I opened it a far while ago (months) but I just checked it and its still nice and powdery. Should I just sub that 1 for 1 instead? WIll that change the flavor? She says this has a "yeasty full flavor" and I'm not sure if I want yeasty and sour? (Not even sure I want yeasty)

2)This is the Basic Soft White Sandwich Loaf (I LOVE TOAST)

Uses all unbleached all purpose flour. 2.25 cups + 2.5 tbls for the sponge and 2 cups + 3 tbls for the second step

Can I substitute a cup of whole wheat flour of some kind to make it a little bit more health friendly? Maybe I should just try it in its original form first?

What if I used bread flour?

Everytime I think I want to try making bread I look at recipes and feel like need a specialized degree or something.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor