Fig Jelly, Fig Juice Reduction, Lemon Juice Necessities

Phanes
8 years ago

A couple of years ago, I made fig jelly using this recipe as a guide:

5 c. figs, do not peel
1 1/2 c. lemon juice
9 c. sugar
1 env. pectin

Wash fruit, cut in half. Cover with water. Bring to boil and cook until tender - drain in colander lined with cheesecloth. Reserve fruit for jam and bring 4 cups liquid from figs to boil with 1 1/2 cups lemon juice and pectin.

When boiling good, add sugar - stir constantly. Bring to boil again and boil 1 minute. Pour up in sterile jars, cover with paraffin.

====

Naturally I didn't use paraffin and instead did a 10-minute water bath and none of them spoiled. But the problem with this recipe is that the final jelly tastes nothing like figs except for the first bite when you get a hint of a fig flavor. I think the lemon juice changes the flavor of the final jelly so much that it ends up tasting like red plum jelly. It's still delicious jelly, but it doesn't taste like actual figs.

So I wondered if anyone out there might look at that recipe and think, "I'll use ten cups of figs, cover with water, remove the figs after tender, then let the remaining juice reduce until it becomes four cups of fig juice.

So you'd end up with concentrated fig juice. It's a beautiful pink color once it's done, but I'm not sure if cooking it that long would affect the color. Then add lemon juice, boil for one minute, then pour into jars and do the water bath.

I went to the local extension office to ask how necessary the lemon juice was. They were no help at all. All they said, even after calling another office to check, was that they couldn't approve the recipe since it uses paraffin. And this has been the ONLY fig *JELLY* recipe I've been able to find. All the others are either fig jam or fig preserves, which I'm not interested in at all since I hate the texture of figs, but I like the flavor.

I know acidity is part of canning, so I would imagine the lemon juice might be there for preservation, but it changes the flavor so much!

What do you suggest?

Comments (5)