SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Why isn't there a recipe for Fig Jelly?

nancyofnc
13 years ago

I had an oops in the kitchen misreading Fig Preserves recipe (which are for whole figs) for my Fig Jam recipe which are chopped pieces. The sugar/fruit ratio is way different. I tried to save it by scooping out the large chunks and putting them in the Foley. Well, the whole top of the bowl was full of floating seeds and nice fine pulp below. "Well,",I said, "that doesn't look like jam anymore." So, I decided to strain it through a jelly bag and make jelly! Shoot, the pulp was so fine that it went through too so now it has to be "Seedless Fig Jam" or is it "Cloudy Fig Jelly"? Anyway, I have all this juice/pulp, with sugar and lemon juice, and don't know what amount of pectin to add to gel it. I could cook to gel stage but past experience tells me that figs don't want to gel to firm without pectin no matter what the frozen plate test tells me, or the instant-read thermometer either.

Has anyone made Fig Jelly? I could not find any info on my web searches. The question is: How many cups of juice/sugar/lemon juice mixture to heat up for addition of a pouch of liquid pectin (not Pomona - chalky taste comes through with jellies, and not powdered pectin because the sugar has already been added)?

Ugh! I hate oops, but then again, sometimes they come out as "Limited Editions", like the old multiple strawberry freezer jars of jam that I recooked to make canned jam that had a super intense strawberry flavor and definitely a winner as a "Limited Edition", but never able to reproduce because I did not keep notes on how I did it. LOL!

Nancy

Comment (1)